Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:08:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Every Important Person In Bitcoin Just Got Subpoenaed By New York's Regulator  (Read 4005 times)
nameface (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 11:27:45 PM

From Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2013/08/12/every-important-person-in-bitcoin-just-got-subpoenaed-by-new-yorks-financial-regulator/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Could this be just the beginning of a landslide of subpoenas? How serious is this?
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
alp

Activity: 284
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 11:33:55 PM

It's technically just informational.  The funny part is how they are investigating "consumer complaints about transaction times".  Gotta love people who don't understand Bitcoin whining about how it is broken.

I am looking for a good signature. Here could be your advertisement
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 11:37:31 PM

The funny part is how they are investigating "consumer complaints about transaction times".  Gotta love people who don't understand Bitcoin whining about how it is broken.

That's how I read that sentence as well first time. Upon ponderation, I think they're speaking of things such as the time required to get your USD back in your hand from (e.g.) MtGox.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
alp

Activity: 284
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 12:03:43 AM

The funny part is how they are investigating "consumer complaints about transaction times".  Gotta love people who don't understand Bitcoin whining about how it is broken.

That's how I read that sentence as well first time. Upon ponderation, I think they're speaking of things such as the time required to get your USD back in your hand from (e.g.) MtGox.

Perhaps.  But there are a lot of morons who have bought into the "need faster blocks!" idea.

I am looking for a good signature. Here could be your advertisement
nameface (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 12:41:05 AM

The entities that can solve the faster transaction problem are the ones being scrutinized, e.g. bitpay, bitinstant. I guess they can't do anything about Bitcoin itself, but they sure can try to squeeze those who make a living out of making Bitcoin better.

I noticed a lot of the DATA companies (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=266420.0) are on this list as well. I feel a bit of a battle brewing.
ANX_Service

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2013, 11:56:36 PM
Last edit: August 14, 2013, 01:50:40 PM by ANX_Service

The entities that can solve the faster transaction problem are the ones being scrutinized.

Agreed, however the fact remains that the US entities will always endure the most prevailing scrutiny owing to their seemingly infinite number of regulators and policy makers whom seen intent on ensuring that Bitcoin does not succeed.  There have been countless US Bitcoin exchanges and businesses failing owing to the largely open-ended and unclear regulatory obligations being imposed or proposed, and yet just as many more that will not launch out of apprehension of seizure, or worse (i.e. potentially going to prison).

The US has a Bitcoin noose that it seems intent on pulling over the necks of anyone who dares to undermine or destabilize their pompous US Dollar.  

It was for this reason among many that we decided on Hong Kong to legally register ANX.HK in addition to it being the physical location to host our infrastructure whilst ensuring we are not at the liberty of any US or European strongholds (such as a top-level .com domain name).  This shouldn't suggest that we fall foul of compliance frameworks or regulatory requirements.  We actively work with and cooperate with local regulators to ensure that Bitcoin is embraced as most other innovative and entrepreneurial entries are in Hong Kong, and to ensure that we remain without fear of being subpoenaed by unwritten rules.

I admire those whom attempt what would appear to be the impossible and reside any legal or physical Bitcoin-related presence inside the US and expect to remain open for business whilst achieving compliance at the same time.

Finally, in regards to solving the faster transaction problem, we endeavour to process both bank transfers and bank wires within 24 hours upon receiving the request.   I'm not sure how much “faster” we can be! Wink

ANX.HK
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: