Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 08:51:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin needs to do a "stock split" and add new (sub)names  (Read 3259 times)
Rygon

Activity: 520
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 02:10:20 AM

Correct, so we could arbitrarily agree as a community that the old mBTC is the "New BTC" and that there are 21 Billion "New BTC" available.

What if everyone doesn't agree?  I don't.  So yes as I pointed out if you have complete unanimous agreement of every coinholders, merchant, developer, exchange, etc then sure you can make a change.  Baring that what happens when some sites start advertising prices in old BTC and some in new BTC?  Someone on new version of client sends 1 BTC to someone with newever version of client.  Each one things the other messed up because on their clients they see a different amount.    MtGox prices in "old BTC" but doesn't call it old BTC it simply is BTC and BTC-e prices in "new BTC" but also calls it BTC.

Quick 1.23 BTC is it old BTC or new BTC?

It isn't going to happen just like tomorrow we could decide a meter isn't a meter it is a "new meter" which will also confusingly be called a meter expect it is 3x as long as an "old meter" which will also be called a meter.  That could happen, but it won't because it would be stupid and pointless.

Of course, the real issue is that it becomes uneconomical to send less than 1 mBTC (100,000 Satoshis) and have it confirmed quickly due to fees that the client and/or miners require. Fees will only get more expensive as traffic increases. There are other threads looking at that issue though.

Fees have been reduced in the past, will be reduced again in the next version, and will likely be continually reduced and decentralized more in the future.   There is no required fee on high priority transactions.  The min mandatory fee only exists as a spam prevention mechanism to protect the network from Denial Of Service attacks.  It can be continually lowered to a point which balances the needs of the network with the need to protect the network.

I'm not advocating any deliberate change in the language of units of measure of Bitcoins, I'm just predicting that it'll happen organically. Because language often takes it's own direction, and it doesn't matter if there is unanimous agreement or not. When someone says they want 20 bitcoins for a pair of alpaca socks, the context will be enough for most people to realize they mean 20 mBTC.

It's obvious that later adapters will prefer to count coins at the level of mBTC because the human mind prefers whole numbers over decimals (567 mBTC is slightly more preferable than 0.567 BTC). The interesting question is, "What will the average person call that unit of measurement?" If Bitcoin truly starts to gain wide acceptance, I'd bet they won't pronounce it "m-B-T-C" That's 4 syllables, are you kidding me? Name a world currency that is more than 2 syllables long, because there's not any. But will people pronounce it as "m-bits", "bits", "mibs", "mits", or risk confusion as just say "bitcoins"?

Personally, I like "bits" because it's short, implies bitcoin, and the context should make it clear that it's not another currency. Just my two "bits"
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
zeetubes (OP)

Activity: 371
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 02:29:03 AM

Agreed. Language has a way of evolving on its own. How many people call text messages SMSs these days? Hmmm, just so long long as they don't start calling them "itty bitty coins." Smiley
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 02:57:30 AM
Last edit: April 10, 2013, 10:11:50 PM by DeathAndTaxes

mills, millibits, or millicoins seems likely.  I don't see anyone calling mBTC "one Bitcoin" though.  It is simply confusion without a purpose.  "Yeah send me 20 Bitcoins, of course not the Bitcoin on the client, you will need to change to mBTC or divide the amount I previously told you by 100, I just like calling mBTCs, "Bitcoins" to created added confusion for no reason or value".

As a experiment say I offered 1oz Silver Maple in the marketplace forum for 127 Bitcoins (without explanation these aren't really Bitcoins they are just my way of saying mBTC) how effective do you think that would be?  

For that reason I don't see BTC being anything but BTC = Bitcoin = 1/21,000,000th of the Bitcoin money supply.  Sure other units will develop and their own slang will develop two but that is different than doing a split or renaming Bitcoin.  Nobody likes working with very large or very small numbers so formal and informal naming conventions will develop.

* or whatever slang develops
alcibiades

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 02:59:00 AM

I could not agree with you more. The best thing that could happen for bitcoin right now is for Mt. Gox to list prices in millibits.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1301

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 09:11:03 PM

Thinking more about user-friendly names:
1. A bitbuck - maybe 1/1000th of a bitcoin.
2. A bitpound - maybe 1/100th of a bitcoin.
3. A bitloonie - maybe 1/10000th of a bitcoin.

Stuff like that.  Non-tech types will embrace a friendly naming system.  ;-)
 Grin
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: