Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:44:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Really no talk of segwit / big blocks..  (Read 2061 times)
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4412

View Profile
January 15, 2017, 03:08:09 AM

We really need satoshi now because if he somehow shows up and tell us what he thinks we should do then we might actually agree on one thing and then doing it, I don't think anyone refuses him only if he could speak out somehow.
It is very unlikely that he/she/they appear now to say what the best procedure is,

It can be phased in, like:

if (blocknumber > 115000)
    maxblocksize = largerlimit

It can start being in versions way ahead, so by the time it reaches that block number and goes into effect, the older versions that don't have it are already obsolete.

When we're near the cutoff block number, I can put an alert to old versions to make sure they know they have to upgrade.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1007

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
January 15, 2017, 11:37:05 AM

my personal number that i think is safe differs to blockstreams 95%..
but i only mentioned 95% because blockstream would send in the usual intern centralist bandwaggon if i said anything different. so to avoid argument i just used their numbers so they cant argue..

anyway,
when user nodes set their settings the consensus is measured and the pools are the ones that decide when to push out blocks with the least risk.
yes pools choose when, as its in their interest to not lose $12k in 10minutes.

logically even if there is a clear majority (pick random number of majority all you like).. pools will then do their own flagging of intent.

EG imagine nodes new limit will be 1.3mb by large majority consensus.. then pools flag also has majority consensus to say yes too..
but when activating it.. they are going to be smart.

first block after activation... 1.001mb then slowly get to the 1.3mb over time
they are not irrationally going to push out a 1.3mb block the very next block after activation. they will test the water.
it might take 2 days and 2 hours(0.001mb) increments per block(2days *144blocks per day=288+12blocks in 2hours =300 adjustments) to see the orphan risk as it climbs to 1.3mb new limit.

thats the logical and safe way.

So you want to turn the miners in some sort of pseudo-Government? Really?

That has to be the dumbest Idea I have ever seen. No miners should not have too much power. And the Nodes should have all the authority.

When you create this quasi government structure, you will end up just like all other "limited governments".

What will then it take for the miners to collude and start increasing the block reward for themselves, or do all sorts of weird hardforks.

Nope. You must keep it decentralized, and the miners are only clients of the network, but not the governors of it.

The nodes must, and always have the final authority always. Otherwise you have just created a new form of government. And we all know here how governments behave.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4412

View Profile
January 15, 2017, 01:45:28 PM
Last edit: January 15, 2017, 01:59:38 PM by franky1

So you want to turn the miners in some sort of pseudo-Government? Really?

That has to be the dumbest Idea I have ever seen. No miners should not have too much power. And the Nodes should have all the authority.

When you create this quasi government structure, you will end up just like all other "limited governments".

What will then it take for the miners to collude and start increasing the block reward for themselves, or do all sorts of weird hardforks.

Nope. You must keep it decentralized, and the miners are only clients of the network, but not the governors of it.

The nodes must, and always have the final authority always. Otherwise you have just created a new form of government. And we all know here how governments behave.

now your twisting things again.
the pools are not the government but the pools are the ones that collate the data for the nodes to validate to confirm or reject. the pools need to know what is the acceptable format and flag their acceptance of that format.

your twisting consensus. please learn consensus

yes consensus  of 5000+ nodes and yes pools are a node too decide what format is acceptable.
but its the nodes that decide the general agreement of what format is acceptable .. then the pools pools flag to agree on producing that format. and the nodes then validate it, accepting/rejecting what the pools produce. ofcourse if 5000+ want on thing the pools will follow, or risk losing their income while wasting electric for nothing. but the pools need to wave their hand in their air to show when they will begin. so that the nodes are ready.

again think about consensus

kind of strange how you desired 12 devs and 90 interns to be the government. but then twist consensus into myths, ifs, and maybe's of non dev collusion.
please put your rational hat back on. you had a good 24 hours hours of thinking rationally, dont go putting your fanboy hat on again

moving from 1mb to the scenario of 1.3mb over a few days is a natural and risk averting logical thing. jumping from 1mb straight to 1.3mb in minutes is not logical, rational or risk averting.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: