Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 07:46:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What if AV picks up Your LEGIT closed-source .exe?  (Read 841 times)
Youresioure (OP)

Activity: 162
Merit: 100

Reich mir die Hand

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2016, 04:34:38 PM

I've come across this experience a few times, but I've experienced it at other, mainly new executables too. When it happened at me, I usually let the clients do detailed security analysis, for instance with Anubis, on it and uploaded as proof that my executable was legit. But that's an uncomfortable situation to go through. What should I do if one or more AV detects the .exe of my application as suspicious/malware (false positively)?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 6505

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2016, 05:09:01 PM

There should be a way to report it as a false positive to the AV company.

Youresioure (OP)

Reich mir die Hand

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2016, 08:54:44 PM

There should be a way to report it as a false positive to the AV company.

Do they take such reports seriously? How much time could it take for them to fix the false detection since the date of requesting?

I'm asking this very important question because it could mean a disadvantage against the concurrent products that don't have this issue.
viziano

Activity: 168

View Profile
December 26, 2016, 09:10:29 PM

Many AV's do this..
I never knew how could I fix this.
Althouhg I'm not some of a good coder,just when I do some Visual Basic,it's always like a "virus" or whatever.
Gets annoying.

...........  FREE DISTRIBUTION TO BTC HOLDERS                                 NEW CONSENSUS ALGORITHM
● Byteball ●.   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
..........  REGULATORY COMPLIANT ASSETS                                       UNTRACEABLE PAYMENTS
Deep In The Mines LLC

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2016, 09:36:50 PM

Scan it with virustotal, then report it to the AV's, virustotal shares the files and they get manually checked at some point so it will eventually reduce your false positives.

Deep In The Mines LLC Cryptocurrency miners, power supplies, breakout boards and accessories!

Authorized Biostar and Silverstone Reseller.
Youresioure (OP)

Reich mir die Hand

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2016, 07:32:17 PM

Many AV's do this..
I never knew how could I fix this.
Althouhg I'm not some of a good coder,just when I do some Visual Basic,it's always like a "virus" or whatever.
Gets annoying.

Yeah, it's so annoying when you're just developing some totally harmless software and the AV pops up saying it's very similar to idk what generic trojan when I'd be the happiest if I knew how to code such a malware.

Scan it with virustotal, then report it to the AV's, virustotal shares the files and they get manually checked at some point so it will eventually reduce your false positives.

Thank you! That's actually a very good idea. It makes the report easier too since Virustotal shares it with multiple providers so you don't have to send your file to each provider one by one.
StewieG

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 29, 2016, 09:43:42 PM

Are you sure it is legit? More iinfo is needed, sure it has not been tampered on the way? Did you check the shasum? If it is some game crack then the warning might be legit. Most AVs do signature checking, meaning some part of your executable is similiar to one on their list. This can happen but is rather unlikely.
cloverme
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1054

SpacePirate.io

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2016, 04:22:31 AM

I've come across this experience a few times, but I've experienced it at other, mainly new executables too. When it happened at me, I usually let the clients do detailed security analysis, for instance with Anubis, on it and uploaded as proof that my executable was legit. But that's an uncomfortable situation to go through. What should I do if one or more AV detects the .exe of my application as suspicious/malware (false positively)?

More than likely it's been picking up on the heuristics of what your code is doing and flagging that as an issue. Several compilers have workarounds to deal with it, as an example Dev-C++ is notorious for setting off AVG. You might want to consider changing your compiler as well to another one, often the signature of open source compilers (if you're using one) might use a consistent cpu flag that AV's are monitoring for. Check the support forums for your compiler and the support forums for your compiler, it's more than likely someone has the same issue as you do too.  Grin
BuySomeBitcoins

Activity: 434
Merit: 253

View Profile
December 30, 2016, 05:01:26 AM

Could you upload to virustotal and share the link ?

Youresioure (OP)

Reich mir die Hand

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2016, 08:36:41 PM

More than likely it's been picking up on the heuristics of what your code is doing and flagging that as an issue. Several compilers have workarounds to deal with it, as an example Dev-C++ is notorious for setting off AVG. You might want to consider changing your compiler as well to another one, often the signature of open source compilers (if you're using one) might use a consistent cpu flag that AV's are monitoring for. Check the support forums for your compiler and the support forums for your compiler, it's more than likely someone has the same issue as you do too.  Grin

Fantastic, Thank You, @coverme! In fact, it was the compiler, which was a free software. Compiling the exactly same code in MS VS 2013 didn't trigger the AV. And I'd expect an open-source compiler to be more "AV friendly", simply because it's source code is known to them. But nah. I think, I'll stay with Visual Studio from now on.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: