Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:56:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: The real cause of the "panic"  (Read 2651 times)
esop (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 03:33:16 AM

This all happened before and I an not talking tulip mania. I am talking to the first bitcoin panic, all the way 10/10/10 mtgox decided who could buy and sell out of the panic based on who you knew. The same today with bid price far exceeding ask but not being executed. A small group of individuals at gox stopped bids from every one but the group during a supposed ddos. Well joke is on every one who sold or got stopped out you just made the group a lot of coin. History repeated, gox won you lose.

The only way to defeat banksters is to not deal with them. EVER.
Never sell a bitcoin for USD!! SPEND IT on things or service or commodities.
Never trade a bitcoin on a market!! Invest in someones idea.

This will happen again and again and again and I am just wasting my time again.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 03:42:29 AM

+1000 I've never understood the logic in selling bitcoins.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
BTCisthefuture

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 03:57:00 AM

The logic resides in the fact that fiat currency is still very stable for the most part. Bitcoin hasn't been over the years. When it comes to finances people want some stability. If they can make some money through a bitcoin investment or they can cashout to prevent losing their entire investment you will have a hard time convincing people not to.

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
Sitarow
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 03:57:58 AM

Save up and buy a house or a car or other big ticket items Smiley
alkhdaniel

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 03:59:52 AM

So you can buy them back 30 seconds later for a nice $50 profit Cheesy

I always get stressed out if i don't get my bitcoins back in less than 5 minutes after selling haha.
Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 04:03:19 AM

The logic resides in the fact that fiat currency is still very stable for the most part. Bitcoin hasn't been over the years. When it comes to finances people want some stability. If they can make some money through a bitcoin investment or they can cashout to prevent losing their entire investment you will have a hard time convincing people not to.
That isn't logic, it's normalcy bias.  Use bitcoins to buy things when you need to buy things, but for goodness sake don't trade it for an inferior form of money.  I fear that too many people new to bitcoin don't understand this simple concept and they're selling bitcoin out of fear that it might trade lower...or they want to lock in some gains.  Some people say that bitcoin can't go up in value forever...but in fact it can.  In fact, it's designed to go up in value forever over any sufficiently long timeframe so long as it's the best form of money in existence (which it is and will likely forever be).

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
Deth

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 04:40:45 AM

Use bitcoins to buy things when you need to buy things, but for goodness sake don't trade it for an inferior form of money.  I fear that too many people new to bitcoin don't understand this simple concept and they're selling bitcoin out of fear that it might trade lower...or they want to lock in some gains.
...or they are just so greedy to understand that Smiley

Impaler

Activity: 826

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 04:58:23 AM

Never ascribe to malice what stupidity alone can explain.  The bubble simply burst, what's so hard to understand about that?

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
HappyBitCoinUser

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 06:06:05 AM

ONLY reason for panic is people invested more than they could afford to lose, and some probably with loaned money.

Everyone that panic can only blame themselves for the price drop. Price can't go down if you hold your ground.

So many tards in the BTC market, but then again, thats why the price went up in the first place  Smiley
etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 06:33:22 AM

That isn't logic, it's normalcy bias.  Use bitcoins to buy things when you need to buy things, but for goodness sake don't trade it for an inferior form of money.  I fear that too many people new to bitcoin don't understand this simple concept and they're selling bitcoin out of fear that it might trade lower...or they want to lock in some gains.  Some people say that bitcoin can't go up in value forever...but in fact it can.  In fact, it's designed to go up in value forever over any sufficiently long timeframe so long as it's the best form of money in existence (which it is and will likely forever be).

Can you please call my bank and convince them to let me pay off my mortgage in Bitcoins? 
(I say that as a joke, but I just realized it's theoretically possible you could make that happen)

Sure BTC is great.  But most of life revolves around fiat -- especially debts that were issued in fiat.  And who the hell wants to take a debt out in BTC when it could go up 20x by next year and they'll be declaring bankruptcy?  I believe there will be a point in time in which BTC stabilizes, and probably at a value much higher than it is now.  But it's going to be turbulent, and probably a long time before BTC can truly act as a replacement for fiat.  Until then, some of us would like to diversify -- BTC, USD, Gold, Real estate, etc.  That requires cashing some out...

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 06:46:12 AM

Can you please call my bank and convince them to let me pay off my mortgage in Bitcoins? 
(I say that as a joke, but I just realized it's theoretically possible you could make that happen)

Correct.  I can't pay off my loan in gold, silver or rhodium either.  The bank simply won't take it.  Need the local currency.

Even shops that sell items priced in bitcoins almost without exception obtain those items in their local government's currency, or another government's currency if the item is imported.

Sure BTC is great.  But most of life revolves around fiat -- especially debts that were issued in fiat.  And who the hell wants to take a debt out in BTC when it could go up 20x by next year and they'll be declaring bankruptcy? 

Taking out a loan in BTC to be repaid in BTC would guarantee bankruptcy.  The lender is hardly going to lend out BTC if the value in USD$ will increase without charging a hefty amount of interest, and how do you pay back a loan in BTC when the commodity is being hoarded in the hopes its value will go higher?  More people will be chasing a dwindling supply of new bitcoins to pay back loans.  Would be fun to watch however.
Frost

Activity: 602
Merit: 508

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 06:46:43 AM

This!
essem

Activity: 42

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 06:50:36 AM

Hi

Apart from your commercial interests in Bitcoin, what else qualifies you to state that Bitcoin is superior to fiat?
HappyBitCoinUser

Activity: 182

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 06:53:57 AM

Experience?
essem

Activity: 42

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 06:54:47 AM

More like stupidity
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 06:55:46 AM

The logic resides in the fact that fiat currency is still very stable for the most part. Bitcoin hasn't been over the years. When it comes to finances people want some stability. are greedy. If they can make some money through a bitcoin investment or they can cashout to prevent losing their entire investment you will have a hard time convincing people not to.

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
zedicus
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 07:25:38 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=172944.msg1801287#msg1801287

post#35

Put that s*** on blast ! get gox to do something about it!

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
imanikin

Activity: 702
Merit: 503

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 11:07:19 PM

The only way to defeat banksters is to not deal with them. EVER.
Never trade a bitcoin on a market!! Invest in someones idea.
This will happen again and again and again and I am just wasting my time again.
+1 Leave the speculating to the speculators, or risk being fleeced by them. The only trouble is that they will continue to set the value of B and affect us anyway, at least until B becomes the unit of account.

Right now, even when we spend B for goods and services, the underlying value is set in mtgoxUSD, and most merchants immediately buy fiat with our B, because they have to pay their suppliers, expenses, and taxes in fiat. They also have to do it to avoid losing their profit in gox pump-and-dump exchange rate crashes (aka "corrections" in Bitcoin)  Cheesy that we see again and again.

Blindfolded

Activity: 156

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 11:16:42 PM

ONLY reason for panic is people invested more than they could afford to lose, and some probably with loaned money.

Everyone that panic can only blame themselves for the price drop. Price can't go down if you hold your ground.

So many tards in the BTC market, but then again, thats why the price went up in the first place  Smiley

+1

I think you nailed it.
Manticore

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 11:28:53 PM

Yes, but there is a real dilemma in that one day an item is .23 BTC and the next day it's 1.23 BTC. The marriage of commodity and currency is interesting but makes for incredible volatility.
antihexe

Activity: 18

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 11:35:36 PM

The logic is "make money." The thousands in cash I made today will only hold their value while I wait for the exchanges to settle.
aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 11:44:43 PM

All my BTC has come from mining. I've never exchanged any for fiat in either direction. Probably because of this, I've felt numb to the whole "bubble" thing, and it hasn't even seemed to me as though BTC was volatile - my modest BTC pile just kept growing slowly throughout, as planned. Subjectively - it seemed that the world of fiat was all abuzz and trying to buy/sell BTC, but I just didn't (don't) care about short-term fiat/BTC pairing.

There was and is great excitement in the air. I just don't feel part of it, for better or worse. Accumulating fiat has always bored me for some reason - the actual details of the necessary transactions just never seemed "real enough" or "fun enough" to bother with. Ironically, the BTC abstraction seems vividly real to me, perhaps because it doesn't change on political whims.

As to cause of the "panic", I would guess mischief rather than simple fear/greed patterns, but who knows? It's hard to guess why it would kick in at any particular moment.

Let's talk it all over in 20 years or so. For now, I'm just glad to see that the "panic" seems to have stopped most of the "ain't it awful" buzz about BFL for a while.   ;-)
Blindfolded

Activity: 156

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 11:51:05 PM

All my BTC has come from mining. I've never exchanged any for fiat in either direction. Probably because of this, I've felt numb to the whole "bubble" thing, and it hasn't even seemed to me as though BTC was volatile - my modest BTC pile just kept growing slowly throughout, as planned. Subjectively - it seemed that the world of fiat was all abuzz and trying to buy/sell BTC, but I just didn't (don't) care about short-term fiat/BTC pairing.

There was and is great excitement in the air. I just don't feel part of it, for better or worse. Accumulating fiat has always bored me for some reason - the actual details of the necessary transactions just never seemed "real enough" or "fun enough" to bother with. Ironically, the BTC abstraction seems vividly real to me, perhaps because it doesn't change on political whims.

As to cause of the "panic", I would guess mischief rather than simple fear/greed patterns, but who knows? It's hard to guess why it would kick in at any particular moment.

Let's talk it all over in 20 years or so. For now, I'm just glad to see that the "panic" seems to have stopped most of the "ain't it awful" buzz about BFL for a while.   ;-)

Same here. Only difference is that I have spent plenty of bitcoins on dumb stuff. I still have my fair share, and I feel immune to panic selling because I have little cost involved. Bitcoin makes a great hobby.

Cheesy
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 11:54:34 PM

cause of the panic: Bernanke!
Krabby

Activity: 644

https://primedao.eth.link/#/

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 11:57:20 PM

cause of the panic: Bernanke!

I would literally be pulling my hair out in your position.
You get my respect Supah-Cappah-Con-Bit'r.

██████████
                   ████████████
                 ██████████████
               ████████████████
             ██████████████████
██████████           ██████████          ██████████
██████████           █████████           ██████████
██████████           ███████     ██████████████████
██████████████████████████     ████████████████████