Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 08:43:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN Mt.Gox] Hi everyone, just a quick update on the situation and what happened  (Read 12730 times)
Grover

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

I was thinking Stay Puft, but Gozer said Grover

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 11:15:17 PM

I didn't read all the posts since last time I was here.  If this has been suggested then apologies, but good thinking kudos to whomever may have suggested this.

First, who actually believes the trade engine overload was not a planned attack?

I'd say think again.  Anyone who does not work for MtGox knows their engine sux.  Anyone knows that the Achilles heel for Gox, except people who work for Gox, is the trading engine.

What's the difference between setting up 100 trading accounts, or whatever number and flooding the trading engine with buy/sell orders for small amounts of BTC, say a few thousand a second, or how ever many, maybe 10 a second, it takes for Gox to lag.

I say conspiracy theory says this is a much more viable option than their given reason.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mikegogulski

Activity: 360
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2013, 03:11:51 AM

Mt. Gox's archaic and poorly written trading engine is completely unacceptable

But but... PHP can do *anything* (MagicalTux's former tagline) Tongue

not including their recent failure in regard to the API "upgrade" which resulted in the sudden, unannounced failure of their Android Mt. Gox Mobile application, their classic website (http://classic.mtgox.com), and the failure of other services relying on the data streams.  Their websockets go down very often which makes monitoring of trade data highly difficult.  Even after resuming the 12-hour trading halt there is over 15 minutes of lag time...

Add to this that the main trading API was hard down during the selloff, which meant that a lot of regular liquidity providers were cut out of the market. MtGox's announcement that their trading engine froze is rubbish; people accessing their accounts via the website could still trade, at least until *everything* came to a screeching halt.

I seriously doubt that anyone at MtGox was even aware there was a problem until many hours after things started to go wrong on their exchange. Or if they were, they yawned, rolled over and went back to sleep. Negligence, incompetence, or both.

FREE ROSS ULBRICHT, allegedly one of the Dread Pirates Roberts of the Silk Road
juice

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 07:23:30 AM

Satoshitux did it!Thats no Magic!
sturle
Legendary

Activity: 1437
Merit: 1002

https://bitmynt.no

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2013, 02:18:48 PM

The NYSE network runs on Juniper. That was the day they announced the new NYSE algo trading network built on Juniper. It offers micro-second latency for trading.
Microsecond while giving everyone on the internet direct access to their API for free and keeping balances as well, or is this a paid service for few for trading and quotes only?

I'm just sick of everyone who says MTGOX are idiots being accused of not knowing what they're talking about.
I'm sick of people who knows something about fish, and think everything they know about fish must apply to planets as well.  If you want to make something else, then go ahead and do it.

Sjå https://bitmynt.no for veksling av bitcoin mot norske kroner.  Trygt, billig, raskt og enkelt sidan 2010.
I buy with EUR and other currencies at a fair market price when you want to sell.  See http://bitmynt.no/eurprice.pl
Warning: "Bitcoin" XT, Classic, Unlimited and the likes are scams. Don't use them, and don't listen to their shills.
sturle
Legendary

Activity: 1437
Merit: 1002

https://bitmynt.no

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2013, 02:40:04 PM

I do not use them, their site is RUBBISH, btc-e so much nicer, I just can't understand why GOX WAS the biggest.. ?
So you'd rather trust your money to an exchange run by some anonymous owner in Russia?  Want me to make a list of such sites going down or getting "hacked", and their owners, coins and money were nowhere to be found?  Ever wondered why the price on BTC-E is so much lower than on MtGox?  Hint: BTC-E doesn't have any policy against money laundering.

If you have a serious amount of money invested, trust is essential.  Which is why MtGox still rules.  Mtgox may be slow at times, but I trust them to not lose or run away with my coins or my money, and I trust them to not risk my money by breaking laws.  And MtGox is the only exchange providing enough liquidity for my needs.

Sjå https://bitmynt.no for veksling av bitcoin mot norske kroner.  Trygt, billig, raskt og enkelt sidan 2010.
I buy with EUR and other currencies at a fair market price when you want to sell.  See http://bitmynt.no/eurprice.pl
Warning: "Bitcoin" XT, Classic, Unlimited and the likes are scams. Don't use them, and don't listen to their shills.
juice

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 03:49:06 PM

mtgox uses the aml rule to steal mony from users.
i forgot to switch of my vpn and ups money is gone and if i send my papers i have a evel twin in africa soon ! in the underground is much less scam then with the greedy fed sucker !
goxed they not even answer !
when they gox you for aml they dont send the money or coins to the fed ,they keep it and use it!
Inedible

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 10:21:43 PM

As of now, "Mtgox trading engine lag: 45m 44sHuh

At least things have gotten better then.

Grin

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood. 1N6rmaDiPf8ke3mx8217NykAMDZXkX713x
Grover

Activity: 137

I was thinking Stay Puft, but Gozer said Grover

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 10:40:37 PM

As of now, "Mtgox trading engine lag: 45m 44sHuh

Don't forget Gox claims to have increased trade throughput by 50x.  That's ~2250min if figured on the old platform's trade throughput.
Thursday

Activity: 150

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 07:00:55 AM

Bumping this year old thread as a reminder of why I have zero sympathy for the morons that chose to do business with this incompetent bunch.  Goodbye Mt. GOX!

1AXBRFK5a8dP7z8T3gb3hvUjm2F6KYFmgS
zero3112

Activity: 588

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 07:53:59 AM

I feel this whole entire time GOX has held bitcoin back. Along with causing major screw ups and mishaps. The only thing GOX ever did was wreck the image of bitcoin. Its going to take a while for bitcoin to recover from this but now that GOX is gone there's nothing holding bitcoin back anymore.

I see a very bright future for bitcoin and every involved. Wish the best of luck for those who where a GOX victim.

jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3136
Merit: 4282

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 07:58:16 AM

I would like to take this opportunity to feel vindicated for the rather combative tone of the second post in this thread.

Thank you, thank you very much.

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 08:25:11 AM

I believe it will take much longer than that for Mt. Gox to be replaced as the number one exchange and confidence to return. If this does not happen it's only a matter of time before we're Goxxed again, there's no fix for Gox's kind of stupid.
QFT
ByronP

Activity: 599
Merit: 510

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2014, 02:54:24 PM

Trade at a real exchange Atomic Trade! Know your customers know your exchange!!!
RGBKey

Activity: 854
Merit: 658

rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2014, 12:54:07 AM

Thank you for bringing this thread back up, some people just don't want to see the truth.
iluvpie60

Activity: 700

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 04:18:13 AM

https://mtgox.com/press_release_20130411.html

First of all we would like to reassure you but no we were not last night victim of a DDoS but instead victim of our own success!

Indeed the rather astonishing amount of new account opened in the last few days added to the existing one plus the number of trade made a huge impact on the overall system that started to lag. As expected in such situation people started to panic, started to sell Bitcoin in mass (Panic Sale) resulting in an increase of trade that ultimately froze the trade engine!

To give you an idea of how impressive things were here are some numbers that we would love to share with you guys:
- The number of trades executed tripled in the last 24hrs.
- The number of new account opened went from 60k for March alone to 75k new account created for the first few days of April! We now have roughly 20,000 new accounts created each day.

Due to these facts we have been busy working on improving things since last week and our team has been working around the clock to improve Mt.Gox to catch up with the demand. We will continue to release several updates today and in the coming few days to improve our system overall performance.

Also please note that we may have to close the exchange for two hours in the next 12 to 24hrs to add several new servers to our system.

Thank you for your understanding and continuous support!

Regards
Mt.Gox Co. Ltd Team.

Mt.Gox Contact press@mtgox.com

Thanks a lot big liar. Lost a lot of BTC because of people like you. scumbag. (notbecause I had it on gox)
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 09:50:19 AM

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: