Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:34:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can mining reward be split among several miners  (Read 1229 times)
g2com (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 255

View Profile
January 01, 2017, 05:36:34 AM

The current design of Bitcoin is to award only the first miner. This mechanism gives unfair advantage to the miners who possess more computing power. I came up with an idea to split mining reward among several miners. The top 100 miners all receive equal share for the reward and the combine of their hash will be used as the block hash. How practical is this design? What can be its vulnerabilities?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mrbashfo

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 01, 2017, 05:42:41 AM

You might as well increase the BTC mining difficulty tenfold.

Sold To
Kax0, gamekingx, maltaethiron, Cory, Morebitcoinsplease, TECSHARE, wildboy211, inlikeflynn, deslok, WiseOldOwl, and more

Bought From
tsvekric, wildboy211, shakaru
g2com (OP)

View Profile
January 01, 2017, 06:09:50 AM

Why should the mining difficulty be increased? It's still require significant amount of computing power even to become the 100th winner
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2017, 07:27:28 AM

That's exactly what pooled mining achieves without the absurd complication of finding a fair way to cause block changes at particular times based on 100 miners contributing block solves leading tho 100x the orphan rate and frequent network splits and reorganisations.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
January 01, 2017, 10:57:28 PM

The current design of Bitcoin is to award only the first miner. This mechanism gives unfair advantage to the miners who possess more computing power.

WHY is this unfair?

Why should someone that does less WORK get paid equally?

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Deep In The Mines LLC

Activity: 162
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2017, 11:35:39 PM

Your suggestions are unfortunately infeasible, and pooled mining exists.

Why should the reward be split among the miners when the ones with more hash-rate will generally have a higher chance of acquiring the block(s), and thus it balances out?

Also, pools split rewards within the pool depending on individual hash-rate contribution, that's the closest you'll get to a split in the mining world, and its only within the pool, there are multiple pools.

The system is fair, and regardless of it being chance based to an extent, the higher hash-rate miners will still in the long-term acquire more blocks (well to be fair most of them are pooled, so lets say Bitcoins rather than blocks).

Currently, the majority of blocks are discovered by pools, and then split among the miners depending on contribution.

What you are suggesting is some sort of pooled-mining system where only the top 100 highest hash-rate miners get any kind of reward, why should they share their block if your system would be implemented?

Deep In The Mines LLC Cryptocurrency miners, power supplies, breakout boards and accessories!

Authorized Biostar and Silverstone Reseller.
g2com (OP)

View Profile
January 02, 2017, 01:03:43 AM

The current design of Bitcoin is to award only the first miner. This mechanism gives unfair advantage to the miners who possess more computing power.

WHY is this unfair?

Why should someone that does less WORK get paid equally?

Because Proof-of-work is more like a lottery. The outcome of SHA256 is unpredictable. Therefore some miners might have spent more electricity while got no rewards. Also if someone has advantage of hashing power it could result in centralization
g2com (OP)

View Profile
January 02, 2017, 01:09:26 AM

Why should the reward be split among the miners when the ones with more hash-rate will generally have a higher chance of acquiring the block(s), and thus it balances out?

Also, pools split rewards within the pool depending on individual hash-rate contribution, that's the closest you'll get to a split in the mining world, and its only within the pool, there are multiple pools.

The system is fair, and regardless of it being chance based to an extent, the higher hash-rate miners will still in the long-term acquire more blocks (well to be fair most of them are pooled, so lets say Bitcoins rather than blocks).

Currently, the majority of blocks are discovered by pools, and then split among the miners depending on contribution.

What you are suggesting is some sort of pooled-mining system where only the top 100 highest hash-rate miners get any kind of reward, why should they share their block if your system would be implemented?

You misunderstand my idea. The time for mining each block varies so that a miner cannot always hold the leader position. A pool-mining system is consisted of a fixed set of nodes, while my idea is to also award miners who found the hash in the second, third till nth place so that their work wouldn't be completely futile.
digaran
Copper Member

Activity: 1330
Merit: 899

🖤😏

View Profile
January 02, 2017, 01:29:12 AM

You misunderstand my idea. The time for mining each block varies so that a miner cannot always hold the leader position. A pool-mining system is consisted of a fixed set of nodes, while my idea is to also award miners who found the hash in the second, third till nth place so that their work wouldn't be completely futile.
You got it wrong, when a miner finds a hash miners after that just confirm it in consensus that it was mined in a legit way.
Pools doing the exact same thing unless you want to provide small computational power and be rewarded big?
No works become futile because mining doesn't work the way you think it does.

🖤😏
veleten
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1106

View Profile
January 02, 2017, 04:09:24 PM

The current design of Bitcoin is to award only the first miner. This mechanism gives unfair advantage to the miners who possess more computing power. I came up with an idea to split mining reward among several miners. The top 100 miners all receive equal share for the reward and the combine of their hash will be used as the block hash. How practical is this design? What can be its vulnerabilities?

why would you want to invent a bycicle?
it exists already and is called "pooled mining"
also how would you determine "top 100 miners"?
by their contribution?beauty of their rigs?randomly?
the current system is logical and as close to fair as possible

▄▄████▄▄
      ▄▄███▀    ▀███▄▄
   ▄████████▄▄▄▄████████▄
  ▀██████████████████████▀
▐█▄▄ ▀▀████▀    ▀████▀▀ ▄▄██
▐█████▄▄ ▀██▄▄▄▄██▀ ▄▄██▀  █
▐██ ▀████▄▄ ▀██▀ ▄▄████  ▄██
▐██  ███████▄  ▄████████████
▐██  █▌▐█ ▀██  ██████▀  ████
▐██  █▌▐█  ██  █████  ▄█████
 ███▄ ▌▐█  ██  ████████████▀
  ▀▀████▄ ▄██  ██▀  ████▀▀
      ▀▀█████  █  ▄██▀▀
         ▀▀██  ██▀▀
.WINDICE.████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
      ▄████████▀
     ▄████████
    ▄███████▀
   ▄███████▀
  ▄█████████████
 ▄████████████▀
▄███████████▀
     █████▀
    ████▀
   ████
  ███▀
 ██▀
█▀

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
     ▄▄█████▄   ▄▄▄▄
    ██████████▄███████▄
  ▄████████████████████▌
 ████████████████████████
▐████████████████████████▌
 ▀██████████████████████▀
     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
     ▄█     ▄█     ▄█
   ▄██▌   ▄██▌   ▄██▌
   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀
       ▄█     ▄█
     ▄██▌   ▄██▌
     ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
                   ▄█▄
                 ▄█████▄
                █████████▄
       ▄       ██ ████████▌
     ▄███▄    ▐█▌▐█████████
   ▄███████▄   ██ ▀███████▀
 ▄███████████▄  ▀██▄▄████▀
▐█ ▄███████████    ▀▀▀▀
█ █████████████▌      ▄
█▄▀████████████▌    ▄███▄
▐█▄▀███████████    ▐█▐███▌
 ▀██▄▄▀▀█████▀      ▀█▄█▀
   ▀▀▀███▀▀▀
████
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
████

▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀  █████
████████████▀▀      ██████
▐████████▀▀   ▄▄     ██████▌
▐████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ███████▌
▐████████ █▀        ███████▌
████████ █ ▄███▄   ███████
████████████████▄▄██████
▀████████████████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀████████▀▀
iePlay NoweiI
I
I
I
[/t
ColumbiaBasinMining

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

A Bitcoin Mining Company

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2017, 12:11:49 AM

Just got back from holiday and read this post.

You got it wrong, when a miner finds a hash miners after that just confirm it in consensus that it was mined in a legit way.
Pools doing the exact same thing unless you want to provide small computational power and be rewarded big?
No works become futile because mining doesn't work the way you think it does.

digaran said it best, why would we want to share in all our work with others, are they going to share equally in our electrical cost too.

Columbia Basin Mining, LLC -- Bitcoin at a savings of 25% to 45% off market price.
g2com (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2017, 01:45:16 AM

I'm not familiar with Mining pool. How each miner's share is decided?
xvacator

Activity: 340
Merit: 4

View Profile
January 03, 2017, 06:38:55 AM

I'm not familiar with Mining pool. How each miner's share is decided?

i think its depend on how much share they can get with their hashrate power and for the calculation, i don't know the details.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
January 03, 2017, 06:54:24 AM

The concept of the pool is that each miner is rewarded in proportion to the share of the work they do.

Details vary a little on the exact determination of that proportion - mostly on the question of "how many blocks are the share of work counted over".

The outcome of ANY mining is unpredictable - in the short term.
 Over the course of many blocks it becomes VERY statistically predictable.
 Without the "chance" element, the same pool would be winning EVERY block - the chance element is needed to allow for a distribution of rewards in a FAIR proportion to the work done.
 The "time for mining" has ZERO effect on determining who the "lead miner" is.

Centraliation is limited by miners looking at a pool getting too much hashrate and moving to a different pool - this HAS HAPPENED before, and may happen again.
 In Bitmain's specific case, they'd cut their own throat if they decided to pull a "51% attack" on Bitcoin - they're too strongly invested in Bitcoin having wide appeal to mine on - and at this point I don't see any other single group having a serious POSSIBILITY of managing to achieve 51% of the total hashrate of the network again.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: