Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:07:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Suggestion] New child boards  (Read 370 times)
GMPoison (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 01, 2017, 11:12:20 AM

I don't know if this is the right place to post this. I just came back to the forums after taking quite the break so I wasn't even aware there is a new forum website coming, and I don't know if this has already been suggested. I think it could be beneficial to further categorize the "off-topic" board and include in it child boards. One I was thinking of could be a programming child board inside of off-topic that may get a lot of attention and be useful. Or maybe the politics & society board could be made into a child board inside of off-topic. Make a poll to generate some ideas and the most popular topics that look like people would use a lot could be made into child boards inside of off-topic. Or rather they could be their own boards all together under the "Other" section instead of having an "off-topic" board with child boards within that "Other" section.

Just my 2c as I return to the forums, happy new year everyone! Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
actmyname
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 2504

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2017, 04:46:22 PM

I think it could be beneficial to further categorize the "off-topic" board and include in it child boards.

Why?

One I was thinking of could be a programming child board inside of off-topic that may get a lot of attention and be useful.

Would it really? How many programming threads are there currently in off-topic? Any programming-themed threads would likely go to Project Development, Services, or a different site -- this is bitcointalk. Unless you think that a programmer with a revolutionary piece of software is only going to show it here, I see no point in adding a section dedicated for it. It would be pointless, and even if there were a few threads, they would likely be swarmed by spammers saying "i like it".

Make a poll to generate some ideas and the most popular topics that look like people would use a lot could be made into child boards inside of off-topic.

So a child board called "One-line replies"? There really isn't anything to group together in off-topic, and most of the threads are just pure trash. Maybe there could be a child board called "forum games" but that might even be pushing it. You go ahead and try: find at least 20 threads that are similar enough to group together into a child board.

GMPoison (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 01, 2017, 07:33:01 PM

I think it could be beneficial to further categorize the "off-topic" board and include in it child boards.

Why?

One I was thinking of could be a programming child board inside of off-topic that may get a lot of attention and be useful.

Would it really? How many programming threads are there currently in off-topic? Any programming-themed threads would likely go to Project Development, Services, or a different site -- this is bitcointalk. Unless you think that a programmer with a revolutionary piece of software is only going to show it here, I see no point in adding a section dedicated for it. It would be pointless, and even if there were a few threads, they would likely be swarmed by spammers saying "i like it".

Make a poll to generate some ideas and the most popular topics that look like people would use a lot could be made into child boards inside of off-topic.

So a child board called "One-line replies"? There really isn't anything to group together in off-topic, and most of the threads are just pure trash. Maybe there could be a child board called "forum games" but that might even be pushing it. You go ahead and try: find at least 20 threads that are similar enough to group together into a child board.

True, this is primarily a place for Bitcoin. Tell me if this suggestion is legitimate though. I may just not understand the forum fully, but when you've posted in a thread and want to keep up to date with it - who is replying to you know, who is quoting you - it's sort of hard to do that at the moment. We have the "show new replies to your posts" button, but that will just give you a list of threads you're in and when you click on one, it simply dumps you in it. A suggestion could be to make it easier to see what threads you're in, where you've been quoted, notifications of such things, etc. Now once again, this may just be my lack of understanding of the forums, but the personal messages seem to be the same way, just one long string of messages leaving it a bit cluttered and not organized. Let me know what you think.
actmyname
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 2504

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2017, 08:08:00 PM

True, this is primarily a place for Bitcoin. Tell me if this suggestion is legitimate though. I may just not understand the forum fully, but when you've posted in a thread and want to keep up to date with it - who is replying to you know, who is quoting you - it's sort of hard to do that at the moment. We have the "show new replies to your posts" button, but that will just give you a list of threads you're in and when you click on one, it simply dumps you in it. A suggestion could be to make it easier to see what threads you're in, where you've been quoted, notifications of such things, etc. Now once again, this may just be my lack of understanding of the forums, but the personal messages seem to be the same way, just one long string of messages leaving it a bit cluttered and not organized. Let me know what you think.

I actually did want a "mention" feature for the forum, and that can be in the new forum, though at the moment you can do something to pretty much see when you're mentioned (though there will be duplicates that you've seen if your history goes long enough) - go into search, and type your name in the searchbox, then set the search order dropdown menu to "most recent" and you'll have mentions.

That'll show every time you're quoted, and if there's a large discussion thread you want to lurk, watchlist covers that.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: