Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:32:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: It is interesting to see the exchanges trade independently.  (Read 1795 times)
DeathAndTaxes (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 07:49:10 PM

bitfloor was trading higher than btc-e for most of the day and in the past couple hours has traded negative (on relative basis).

At time of writing:
bitcoin24: $64.93
btc-e: $64.31
bitstamp: $58.08
bitfloor: $54.96

Now a $10 spread across exchanges is a little excessive but I think the independence is refreshing.  Might be nice if MtGox never opens.

An interesting stat that I guess only MtGox knows.
At the time of closure MtGox held for clients X in USD & Y BTC.

Now the USD can't effectively leave MtGox and get to another exchange in any timely manner so for all intents and purposes it is trapped.
The BTC however can rapidly move to other exchanges.  Those exchanges unless they saw a flood on new cash (and lets face it getting fiat onto exchanges can often be described as anything but "fast") it would alter the relative balances.  I wonder if that is what we are seeing on bitfloor.  With bitfloor ACH cashout removing USD from the exchange is relatively "easy.

It will be interesting when MtGox opens.
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 07:52:18 PM

With bitfloor ACH cashout removing USD from the exchange is relatively "easy.
It's also easier to move USD into bitfloor because they can do cash deposits (although I don't know how successfully they are meeting the "less than 30 minute" target today)
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 07:55:44 PM

Finally get USD into Gox.

Gox is down sorry!

Angry

Btw, Vircurex is $58

BTC Books

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 08:21:33 PM

It is interesting.

It would be more interesting if there were some kind of inter-exchange way to instantly transfer fiat between exchanges - kind of like the Bridgewalker Android app; but for B2B rather than P2P.

Then the exchanges would be confronted with a dilemma:  to subscribe or not?  Subscribe, and your customer base is less loyal.  Don't, and lose the arbitrage people.  The traders would be the winners of course:  because the exchanges would have to be on performance and reliability like flies on shit.

I wonder if Bridgewalker themselves could pull that off - gotta be some serious money in it.

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 08:24:42 PM

It would be more interesting if there were some kind of inter-exchange way to instantly transfer fiat between exchanges - kind of like the Bridgewalker Android app; but for B2B rather than P2P.
As far as I understand it that is supposed to be the first use case for Ripple.
moni3z

Activity: 899
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 08:28:43 PM

cavirtex has been ~$90 for a while now.

bitfloor getting ddos'd it seems
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 08:31:43 PM

If this whole affair has shown anything it is that placing excessive reliance in the conduct of any one exchange is a mistake.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 08:37:43 PM

It's also easier to move USD into bitfloor because they can do cash deposits (although I don't know how successfully they are meeting the "less than 30 minute" target today)

NOT successfully. I did a cash deposit over an hour ago, and bitfloor is just down right now. Sigh... Expect chaos for a bit.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
moni3z

Activity: 899
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 08:58:29 PM

prepare for the great MtGox sell off once they go back online. expect shitty trading engine to lag out to infinity from all the sell @ $49 orders
NikolaTesla

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 09:27:11 PM

Bitfloor is down completely.
Capitan

Activity: 112

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 09:34:16 PM

Which exchanges are the most reliable, fastest, most convenient (in terms of getting USD in and out), trustworthy, etc?
Capitan

Activity: 112

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 09:35:17 PM

prepare for the great MtGox sell off once they go back online. expect shitty trading engine to lag out to infinity from all the sell @ $49 orders

Are people able to send BTC out of gox right now? If so, wouldn't they transmit to a wallet at another exchange and sell right now? This leads one to think that when gox opens there won't be a lot of mass selling.
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 09:39:58 PM

Let's find a way to keep mtgox down.

I really like this market!

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: