Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:30:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: a easy to use directory for all linuxes [bounty 0.5 btc]  (Read 2152 times)
steelhouse (OP)

Activity: 717
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 08:45:36 AM

Basically this is what I want python, all the various libraries including opencl, pocblm, pocblm with phatk all in a directory.  Thus to use it, all you do is install one of about 10 linux distros to a harddrive or usb, install catalyst, and just run the poclbm from the directory from a usb drive.  Nothing to download or compile.  Maybe a little bash script, with a little zenity or xdialog.  Or a more complete program with freebasic or possibly make guiminer work using wine.  A light version might assume basic python is installed.  No offense linux and windows basically operate the same way.

If you know of a live linux with preinstalled catalyst, then you could run this from a usb drive. linuxcoin is great, but does not detect all hardware and it would be nice to get linux on a usb for fun.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Gary13579

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 09:28:45 AM

This is pretty much idiotic. You're saying Windows and Linux work the same way, yet you clearly have no idea how the different distributions are setup. Why wouldn't you want to take advantage of the fact that we have package repositories? ffs, it took a grand total of 10 minutes to setup mining on my Arch box from a 100% fresh install.

btw, why poclbm over hashkill? hashkill is easier to setup and faster with less dependencies and overhead.
Reikoku

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

firstbits: 1kwc1p

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 04:11:44 PM

This is pretty much idiotic. You're saying Windows and Linux work the same way, yet you clearly have no idea how the different distributions are setup. Why wouldn't you want to take advantage of the fact that we have package repositories? ffs, it took a grand total of 10 minutes to setup mining on my Arch box from a 100% fresh install.

btw, why poclbm over hashkill? hashkill is easier to setup and faster with less dependencies and overhead.

10 minutes is pretty impressive, took me at least an hour.

Rei | 1Kwc1pqv54jCg8jvnm3Gu1dqFQYhS34Bow
Trades So Far: 7
Bitonetta

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 08:37:20 PM

Yeah, it's the OS that takes up the bulk of my install time.  Damn slow ass USB CDRom OS installation.

From an empty drive to a working poclbm, poclbm-mod, hashkill and phoenix with phatk takes me about 45 mins on ubuntu.  If I was smart, I would have cloned my first install and just used that for my sequential machines.  Oh well.   Embarrassed

I have all of the miners installed even tho I'm only using one of them.  Not that adding additional miners takes any longer once all the core stuff has been installed.
supa
Copper Member

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 03:00:46 PM

I'm not really too clear on what's being asked for here...

You want the ability to set up a permanent Linux installation including Catalyst and all requirements for poclbm.... and you want a GUI for them in zenity?

Using wine for GUIMiner under Linux... that's not going to work.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: