Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 01:07:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Armory says offline. Can't seem to fix it. Someone please help me!  (Read 2307 times)
jmeador1519 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 04, 2017, 08:10:36 PM

I just signed up for Coinbase and transferred $50 worth of bitcoins into it before it closed.  It said I had to transfer my funds.  So I downloaded Armory and found what I hope and pray was the address to send it to the Armory wallet and now I can't find my funds and it constantly says "offline".  I have absolutely NO CLUE about bitcoin.  I am trying to learn and Coinbase seemed really use to use, that is, until they all the sudden shut down.  I am at a loss on what to do and I've tried emailing Coinbase and well, their customer service SUCKS.  I am afraid I'm about to lose the $50 in bitcoins I transferred.  I dont even know if I did it correctly to be honest.  I am trying to see if they are in my Armory wallet but the stupid thing won't get off "offline" so it can't fully run.  How in the heck do you get it online??
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 6641

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2017, 08:17:12 PM

First, you need to install Bitcoin Core (I'm guessing you did not do that given your newness). Then you need to let that sync, which can take anywhere from a few hours to a few days. It will download ~100 GB of data so make sure you have at least that much space on your computer.

Once Bitcoin Core is synced (It should be fairly obvious when it is), then you should start Armory. It will complain about Bitcoin Core being open. Ignore that and go to File > Settings and uncheck the box labeled "Let Armory start Bitcoin Core in the background". Then hit OK and restart Armory. It will build its databases for a while (anywhere from a few minutes to an hour or two) and then you should be online.

goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1347

Armory Developer

View Profile
January 04, 2017, 08:28:28 PM

I just signed up for Coinbase and transferred $50 worth of bitcoins into it before it closed.  It said I had to transfer my funds.  So I downloaded Armory and found what I hope and pray was the address to send it to the Armory wallet and now I can't find my funds and it constantly says "offline".  I have absolutely NO CLUE about bitcoin.  I am trying to learn and Coinbase seemed really use to use, that is, until they all the sudden shut down.  I am at a loss on what to do and I've tried emailing Coinbase and well, their customer service SUCKS.  I am afraid I'm about to lose the $50 in bitcoins I transferred.  I dont even know if I did it correctly to be honest.  I am trying to see if they are in my Armory wallet but the stupid thing won't get off "offline" so it can't fully run.  How in the heck do you get it online??

Seeing you are a complete newcomer, you're in for a ride. Consider that Armory is an advanced wallet, and you know too little about Bitcoin to get a smooth first experience.

With that behind us, follow achow's instructions to get Armory online. Armory requires a fully synchronized Bitcoin node to operate (this is not a design limitation but part of the model). Bootstrapping a Bitcoin node can take days if your hardware/internet connection is not up to par. Be warned that this is a long and resource intensive process.

Once you have that part covered, the worst is behind you. You can keep on asking for help on this forum but remember to keep it civil.

Now, if you wish to verify your coins are on your wallet, open Armory (doesn't matter if its offline), double click your wallet, and find the address you sent the coins to. Copy that address (should start with "1" and be some 30+ characters long), and paste it in a block explorer (I use blockr.io). This will show you the balance on your address (your coins should be there).

Generally, you can just get offline Armory to spit out addresses to receive payment. You need to take Armory online to:

1) Verify your balance from within Armory
2) Create transactions, in order to pay others.

visdude
Legendary

Activity: 1081
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 05, 2017, 11:14:16 PM

I can't stand spoiled kids nowadays having this "sense of entitlement complex"; that the world revolves around them. You could have chosen to post more gracefully and not in a disrespectful and insulting tone, especially on your first post in these forums.

The initial replies to your OP are by the developers/maintainers of Armory and you just badmouthed their work which you are using for free. Armory is not "the stupid thing" that caused your woes but your own stupidity itself. Frankly, I'm surprised that they still replied to you with grace despite your OP that is besmirch with disrespectful and insulting phrases. They didn't have to, you know.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: