Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 06:14:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-04-11 NY Times: As Big Investors Emerge, Bitcoin Gets Ready for Its Closeup  (Read 1136 times)
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU (OP)

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 09:53:55 PM

Will be interesting to see how this news affects price when Gox resumes trading.  If this had come out 48hs ago, I'd guess it would've been enough to push over $300.

Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss have been many things in a short time: Olympic rowers. Nemeses of Mark Zuckerberg. Characters on “The Simpsons.” Now they can add a new label: bitcoin moguls.

The 31-year-old identical twins have amassed since last summer what appears to be one of the single largest portfolios of the online currency that has caused such a stir in financial and technology circles.

An array of speculators have now bid up the price of the bitcoin to the point where the outstanding supply of the digital money was worth $1.3 billion at last count. The Winklevii — as they are popularly known — say they own nearly 1 percent of that, or some $11 million.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/04/11/as-big-investors-emerge-bitcoin-gets-ready-for-its-close-up/
Arvicco

Activity: 574
Merit: 501

Please bear with me

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 10:01:33 PM

The timing of this disclosure is... interesting. They definitely built this stash over time, so why disclose their involvement today, and not, say, last week?

n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU (OP)

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 10:03:38 PM

Oops I see Steve Gornick posted something about this an hour ago.  Mods, delete as appropriate.
simplydt

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 10:14:35 PM

Thanks for that, very interesting article - a lot of bullish feelings in there.

But the 6-foot-5 Winklevii were unfazed by the latest tumult. Indeed, the brothers said they used the low prices to buy more.

However, I think tomorrow, press wont have much effect on what happens, it will be mostly whether the first 10-20k volume transaction is a buy or sell. If its a buy, people will start buying, a sell....
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: