Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 12:10:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-04-10 Great, now engineers think that they are economists too  (Read 1265 times)
gweedo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 07:36:03 PM

http://pandodaily.com/2013/04/10/great-now-engineers-think-that-they-are-economists-too-2/

Several months ago, one of my company’s engineers told me about Bitcoin. It wasn’t the first time that I had heard about the concept, but it was the first time that somebody I knew actually bought some.

Did I say some? What I meant to say is that he bought a crapload of Bitcoins. They were worth about $9 each when he acquired them, and he decided to drop a healthy $5,000 on his roll of digital bullion.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 08:38:52 PM

... and we should listen to an apologist for a failed currency system, who calls himself a "failed investment banker" because?

nebulus

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

... it only gets better...

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 08:52:18 PM

I'll take an enginner over an economist anytime!

tjohej

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Magic Staff

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 09:03:45 PM

The problem is that economists and journalists think that they are engineers, or at least that when they report about Bitcoin that they can ignore the Bitcoin technology part. That is what spreads the Bitcoin myths. Damn, now I managed to offend half of Bitcoins community.

Only spend an amount in Bitcoin that you can afford to lose says Gavin Andresen! = Pocket money!

There may still be hope for the 1st decentralized cryptocurrency which is Bitcoin. How to approach different subjects is key to progress.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3214

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 02:12:46 AM
Merited by Foxpup (3)

The reason why the U.S. economy is in such bad shape is because of economists like this guy.

They always bring out the hysteria and absurd scenarios when they talk about deflation. This guy says the if a $3.75 cup of coffee drops to $0.05, we are all screwed.

Well, that might be true, but that scenario is incredibly unlikely. Even the deflation during in the Great Depression was not anywhere close to to his scenario. Lets use his logic against him.

He seems to think that inflation is good, but he is so wrong. Inflation is bad because if a cup of coffee goes from $3.75 to $281, we are all screwed.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 05:47:59 AM

What a loser.  We hear this every time we innovate.  "Yes innovation and engineering is good.  But my field is special; you not capable of understanding it.  So go do your engineering thing somewhere else." 

We ALWAYS engineer in someone else's "space".  You think musicians loved the record player?  Funny thing is... soon it becomes our space.  I think unconsciously they know that.

simplydt

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 06:52:20 AM

Well his only valid point is that you shouldn't take out loans on bitcoin because bitcoins are most likely going to go up in value. As I am against taking loans anyway for anything, his main point is a bit irrelevant. Mortgages are the chains of slavery anyway.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3214

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 07:55:17 AM
Last edit: April 11, 2013, 04:38:11 PM by odolvlobo
Merited by Foxpup (4)

Well his only valid point is that you shouldn't take out loans on bitcoin because bitcoins are most likely going to go up in value.

That's just another lie spread by economists suffering from deflation paranoia. Interest rates are affected by the rate of deflation just like they are affected by inflation. Let's assume the prevailing real interest rate is 5%. Then with inflation at 2%, the nominal interest would be 7%. With deflation at 2%, the nominal interest rate would be 3%. It is that simple.

According to the paranoia, a problem occurs when the deflation rate is greater than the prevailing real interest rate. In theory, fewer people would borrow money because lenders are not going to charge a negative interest rate and real interest rates would be too high. However, the paranoid economists are inconsistent in this area. Inflation causes a similar problem: When inflation is above the prevailing real interest rate, fewer people will lend money because they will lose money on the deal.

Economists who like inflation and are terrified of deflation are not being rational. Both hyper-inflation and hyper-deflation are terrible. Both high inflation and high deflation cause economic problems. Both low inflation and low deflation are tolerable, but are not ideal. The ideal is no inflation and no deflation.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 10:35:45 AM

Economists who like inflation and are terrified of deflation are not being rational. Both hyper-inflation and hyper-deflation are terrible. Both high inflation and high deflation cause economic problems. Both low inflation and low deflation are tolerable, but are not ideal. The ideal is no inflation and no deflation.

Or abolish any central monopolistic "official" currency.  Cool

Let people decide what to use as a currency. Then basically everything is an asset. Like Hayek's free market of currencies, but today it would be more than that, it would be more like a rich eco-system. There'd be different exchange and value systems which are native to different main use cases. There'd be regional currencies, metal currencies, internet (crypto-) currencies, business-to-business clearing, company-issued vouchers, and so on. As there'd also be some overlap, they'd all balance each other out.

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 02:08:43 PM

Or abolish any central monopolistic "official" currency.  Cool

Let people decide what to use as a currency. Then basically everything is an asset. Like Hayek's free market of currencies, but today it would be more than that, it would be more like a rich eco-system. There'd be different exchange and value systems which are native to different main use cases. There'd be regional currencies, metal currencies, internet (crypto-) currencies, business-to-business clearing, company-issued vouchers, and so on. As there'd also be some overlap, they'd all balance each other out.

This is the vision ... I'm glad other people are seeing it too.  Smiley

Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 02:13:00 PM

I'd rather an economy designed by an engineer than an engineering project designed by an economist.
teknomunk

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2013, 01:53:39 AM

I'd rather an economy designed by an engineer than an engineering project designed by an economist.

Quoted For Truth

Economists that like inflation are not completely irrational, as they are assuming that economies must be debt-based.  This assumption is false, which makes their conclusion that inflation is good and deflation is bad not correct in all situations.

In a economy where all money is created as part of issuing a loan with interest charged, deflation will always cause massive defaults because people earn the money to repay debts.  The majority of the world lives in this kind of debt-based economy.  In a debt-based economy, perpetual growth is manditory, along with perpetual growth in the money supply.  Otherwise, loans cannot be repayed and the entire system will collapse.  In this kind of economy, bankers are guaranteed to become rich off interest.

Bitcoin has an asset based economy.  Deflation does not cause systematic defaults in an asset based economy.  Some defaults, sure.  Massive, widespread defaults, no.  Instead what happens with deflation in an asset based economy is that as production increases, the value of the currency increases, and hence people and companies with savings have had their savings appreciate to the point where they can spend a portion of those savings to expand, and further increase production until somewhat of an equilibrium is reached.  In this economy, everybody including bankers are on a level playing field.  Other asset based economies are based on either metallic standards (gold, silver, copper, etc.), cryptocurrencies (bitcoin, litecoin, etc.), or a combination of the two.  Personally, I think some combination of cryptocurrencies and metallic standards will be what the world settles on once the dust clears from the fiat money collapse.

I will take the level playing field and the asset based economy if I can.

The opposite of libertarian is authoritarian | Use PGP encryption: 0x48DD8AAB | Places Accepting Bitcoin on an OpenStreetMap
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 05:34:17 PM

An engineer can't be an economist - they have to build things that work, not get paid even if their bridge falls in the water.

As you can tell, I don't have a very high opinion of people who use obfuscation and psuedo-science as a "profession".

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: