Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:30:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: U.S. government is going after Bitcoin  (Read 1604 times)
avero (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 04:40:22 PM

Senators Charles Schumer and Joe Manchin are pressing officials to take action against Bitcoin, which Gawker recently claimed is being used on underground black markets to purchase illegal drugs.

Story at http://venturebeat.com/2011/06/08/government-crackdown-on-bitcoin/?obref=obinsite

Gawker reference is at http://gawker.com/5805928/the-underground-website-where-you-can-buy-any-drug-imaginable

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
sudzandbudz

Activity: 8

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 05:05:57 PM

Fortunately the US govt does not control the world, try as they might. They might be able to do something about Silk Road, but 10 other sites will spring up (as they have already started to). They could never shut down bitcoin.
Joker007

Activity: 84

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2011, 05:12:21 PM

Ignore the gov. They are trolls.

If you don't like the way gov does then stop feeding to it.
TomTom85

Activity: 32

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 05:21:01 PM

The US Government has shown us all how important an alternative currency is:
They have shutted down Wikileaks bank accounts arbitrarily. That shows: No one can trust in currencies controlled by some unpredictable governments.
torusJKL

Activity: 619
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 05:26:46 PM

The US gov definitely could have a big impact on the Bitcoin economy.

They might not be able to shut the network down.
But if they could make it hard for the average person to buy or sell Bitcoins from/to USD.
That would cripple the system and might be it's downfall.

This is a real threat to the system.

If you find my post useful send some Bitcoin: 167XM1Za8aG9CdbYuHFMpL2kvPsw6uC8da
Bitrated || bitcoin-otc || Moon Bitcoin Faucet
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2011, 06:46:50 PM

The US gov definitely could have a big impact on the Bitcoin economy.

They might not be able to shut the network down.
But if they could make it hard for the average person to buy or sell Bitcoins from/to USD.
That would cripple the system and might be it's downfall.

This is a real threat to the system.

U.S. government is not World Government. They may cause problems for USD users, but other countries will continue to adopt it. And if US blocks BTC <=> USD transactions, I'll just switch to BTC <=> Linden <=> USD or something similar.
bruteoger

Activity: 40

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 07:28:49 PM

What rassah meant was that though the US can't bring down the network, as no one government can.  But by preventing every american site based on or accepting bitcoins from using them then the bitcoins essential value will plummet.
Shad3dOne

Activity: 261
Merit: 250

Interesting.....

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2011, 08:10:01 PM

..and until then.. better get busy mining / selling/ buying bitcoins.

-Shad3d

Domain for sale -> NXTcoin.com, 200 btc/2.9 M nxt. pm me
like craigslist but for btc! --> Visit BTClist.com
FederationCredits--> C6khbXzADRUeT9di2SpNubCt2UVTuayKMV What's this?
Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 08:11:56 PM

Good luck shutting down a P2P network lol

Mine on guys..  Cool

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
rafval

Activity: 18

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 08:41:38 PM

it would be economic isolation in the long run, the US cant afford to do it
What rassah meant was that though the US can't bring down the network, as no one government can.  But by preventing every american site based on or accepting bitcoins from using them then the bitcoins essential value will plummet.
Ampersand

Activity: 98
Merit: 13

The Future of Banking in Southeast Asia

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 08:43:27 PM

I'm kind of realizing the amazingness of BTC -- with a way to freely exchange USD to BTC, there is a way to take your actual money under your own protection, albeit with the risk of losing it physically on the hardware or losing it virtually in the exchange rates.

bitrader8082418

Activity: 4

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 10:39:38 PM

The only action the US Government can do is first of all go after any US based Bitcoin ties, like this forum or web sites hosted in the US. Secondly, they can go after exchangers in connection with suspected money laundering. I should note the exchanger does not have to be in the US if they deal with US customers as this gives them the ability to go after an exchanger in any country that will cooperate such as Canada and the EU.

They have to date not tried this with Liberty Reserve...yet... which is used for large scale investment fraud and money laundering.
janez

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 09:51:37 PM

It might be observed by governments but it is still safe, I think.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 09:53:15 PM

Oh June 2011, it was epic back then. No wait, today is epic too  Cheesy Bitcoin, no matter when, it is always epic

martynw2000

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 09:59:03 PM

True the US government doesn't rule the world - but no-one can deny they have a ton of resources. If they wanted to shut down Bitcoin, could they not devote an entire building to mining operations, and effectively take all the coins for themselves? If the goal is to break the system, rather than making a profit, then surely anyone with a spare $1M could do this?
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 10:02:24 PM

True the US government doesn't rule the world - but no-one can deny they have a ton of resources. If they wanted to shut down Bitcoin, could they not devote an entire building to mining operations, and effectively take all the coins for themselves? If the goal is to break the system, rather than making a profit, then surely anyone with a spare $1M could do this?

It'd be pointless to try, because we'd just restart a new blockchain or 100 of them even. It'll take a while, but people will soon realize that you can't stop progress. You can however influence human beings with threats against their reputation, and that will be happening a lot to businesses that accept bitcoin, the then labeled "money laundering currency of criminals", and it won't even be coming from the government, just the closed minded masses who would equally shun evolution taught in the schools.

cryptotrade

Activity: 28

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 10:03:14 PM

The internet moves to fast for this kind of shutdown.  Another currency will immediately take it's place.  The US government should spend more time cleaning up it's own house and it's own currency.  All this fuss proves only one thing - that alternate currencies are real threats to the USD and other traditional currencies.

If the USD was that strong, it wouldn't give bitcoin a second thought.

Their over-reaction is actually quite troubling.
martynw2000

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 10:07:58 PM

What's this thing I hear about a 51% attack? I've read a few posts about it, but I still don't really understand what it means. I figured it meant that if someone took over 51% or more of the network they could shut it down. I could be wrong though - newbie alert!
Aahzman

Activity: 602

Your *what* is itchy?

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 10:10:13 PM

Wow. Zombie thread.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 10:10:50 PM

What's this thing I hear about a 51% attack? I've read a few posts about it, but I still don't really understand what it means. I figured it meant that if someone took over 51% or more of the network they could shut it down. I could be wrong though - newbie alert!

In layman's terms, it's when 51% in the room are shouting something as truth and the other 49% are confused as to who to believe because majority rules in this room. They can't change what the 49% says, but they can try to keep it from being heard as loudly and theoretically keep their voice the loudest.

HW4Bitcoins

Activity: 8

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 10:28:11 PM

The internet moves to fast for this kind of shutdown.  Another currency will immediately take it's place.  The US government should spend more time cleaning up it's own house and it's own currency.  All this fuss proves only one thing - that alternate currencies are real threats to the USD and other traditional currencies.

If the USD was that strong, it wouldn't give bitcoin a second thought.

Their over-reaction is actually quite troubling.

Online currencies will only work if there is 1 established one
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 10:28:45 PM

I'm assume those senators were unsuccessful.  Tongue

Equality

Activity: 37

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 10:32:47 PM

i personally threatened them and they backed down. not violently of course i threatened to withhold my $1 million campaign contribution and they immediately said "yes master." then got on their knees and performed the bobble-head motion until i was satisfied.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: