Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 04:14:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mtgox statement on facebook  (Read 43321 times)
Manticore

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 04:14:51 PM
Last edit: April 12, 2013, 06:44:31 AM by Manticore

First of all we would like to reassure you but no we were not last night victim of a DDoS but instead victim of our own
success!

Indeed the rather astonishing amount of new account opened in the last few days added to the existing one plus the
number of trade made a huge impact on the overall system that started to lag. As expected in such situation people
started to panic, started to sell Bitcoin in mass (Panic Sale) resulting in an increase of trade that ultimately froze
the trade engine!

No, the panic selling began well before the lag. This is an absurd statement. "As expected"?? No, I do not expect that new accounts on a trading platform would devastate a currency. And I don't believe it did. They use this lag as an excuse for any sell-off. We were going down well before this sell-off started. The lag actually slowed the sell-off down.

IMO This is an absurd pump....basically saying 'Don't worry, we have tons of new buyers coming'. Can you imagine a broker in any other asset class making a statement like this?

In another statement during the previous minor sell-off (not from yesterday but April 3rd) -- 'I understand that many of you have a lot at stake here, but remember that Bitcoin, despite being designed to have its value increase over time, will always be the victim of people trying to abuse the system, or even the value of Bitcoin decreasing occasionally. These are not new phenomena and have been present since the beginning of time when humans first started trading'.

Can you imagine a brokerage in the US being able to say that the underlying is 'designed to increase in value' or that it's value 'decreases occasionally'? They couldn't because it would be illegal.

Twitter: 'Trading is suspended until 2013-04-12 02:00am UTC for market cooldown. Once back trading will be also faster.'

And now we're halted. I question their timing. We were in a slow sell-off at a key psychological support level (yesterday's low). We were not in a panic sell today, so why halt? They could have halted yesterday. Yes, they need to upgrade their servers....but I think it's interesting that they chose a key psychological support level to halt and not when it was trading higher today.

The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Sage

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 03:23:26 AM

And now we're halted. I question their timing. We were in a slow sell-off at a key psychological support level (yesterday's low). We were not in a panic sell today, so why halt? They could have halted yesterday. Yes, they need to upgrade their servers....but I think it's interesting that they chose a key psychological support level to halt and not when it was trading higher today.

It is not in Mtgox interest to stop a sell off.  They make a more in a few hours of panic selling then they do in weeks of regular trading.

You really think they would try to stop a sell off? 

Their infer-structure simply cannot handle the demand.  Plain and simple.
jago25_98

Activity: 900
Merit: 1000

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2013, 09:21:05 AM

The market carried on without gox. When it reopened the adjustment was in line with the other exchanges - a good sign?

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: