Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 04:31:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ayn Rand  (Read 5155 times)
abbyd

Activity: 159
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 04:23:52 PM

Actions speak louder than words.  Ayn Rand may have put on appearances of free-thinking and libertarianism, but the "cult" she organized around her was authoritarian and relied heavily on group think (insofar as, you were OUT if you didn't tow the randian line).  For further reading I'd direct you to this short and entertaining Murry Rothbard essay:
http://www.lewrockwell.com/rothbard/rothbard23.html

+1 - Rothbard doesn't buy her brand of crap. Currently reading his "For a New Liberty".

MANY Randkooks don't really know that much about her. There is also the matter of her diary entries praising a serial killer:
http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2012/08/mark-ames-paul-ryans-guru-ayn-rand-worshipped-a-serial-killer-who-kidnapped-and-dismembered-little-girls.html
You can't make this stuff up.
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 04:33:03 PM

Actions speak louder than words.  Ayn Rand may have put on appearances of free-thinking and libertarianism, but the "cult" she organized around her was authoritarian and relied heavily on group think (insofar as, you were OUT if you didn't tow the randian line).  For further reading I'd direct you to this short and entertaining Murry Rothbard essay:

+1 - Rothbard doesn't buy her brand of crap. Currently reading his "For a New Liberty".

MANY Randkooks don't really know that much about her. There is also the matter of her diary entries praising a serial killer:
http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2012/08/mark-ames-paul-ryans-guru-ayn-rand-worshipped-a-serial-killer-who-kidnapped-and-dismembered-little-girls.html

And Hitler was a vegetarian who loved to paint. Surprise! People are more than 2-dimensional drawings!

But if you're reading For a New Liberty, you're on the right track. Let me know when you're ready for Sam Konkin.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
hawkeye

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 05:04:15 PM

And every human is flawed and makes many mistakes throughout their life.  Just most of us don't have our thoughts at any particular time down on paper to be criticised by everyone later.  Maybe she realised her mistakes and changed her mind.  Who knows? 

I just take what I perceive to be good ideas and leave the bad ones.  Where they came from is ultimately irrelevant.

I didn't read through the Rothbard piece, but a quick skim seemed to me he was criticising cult thinking more than anything.
steelhouse

Activity: 717
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 05:16:51 PM

Actions speak louder than words.  Ayn Rand may have put on appearances of free-thinking and libertarianism, but the "cult" she organized around her was authoritarian and relied heavily on group think (insofar as, you were OUT if you didn't tow the randian line).  For further reading I'd direct you to this short and entertaining Murry Rothbard essay:

I believe she said she was investigating the serial killer, she never worshiped a serial killer.  She wrote a book on a polish actress. That what these anti-rand morons always go to.  They will say she collected social security, well duh they offered it to her.  Just so stupid.  They will say Ryan and Rand were followers, they fail to mention Steve Jobs and Mark Cuban are too.
Digicoiner

Activity: 310
Merit: 250

In Crypto I trust.

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 09:17:56 PM

Any fans of Rand's philosophy here?

I just finished reading Atlas Shrugged.  I liked it even though it was a bit long winded.  I heard that Rand's father had a small business that was destroyed by the Bolshevik's and that might have influenced her philosophy.

Will bitcoin become "the motor of the world"? Wink
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 09:21:22 PM

Heh, no.

But it might become that static motor John came up with before he disappeared.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Gordonium

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 10:12:38 PM

Who is Satoshi Nakamoto?
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 02:00:35 AM

Heh, no.

I still prefer to think of Bitcoin as Galt's Gulch, which we can easily disappear into if we wanted to "exit" the economy.
AgeraS

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 03:55:10 AM

+ 1   I have read "The Ethics of Liberty" by Rothbard, It is an awesome read!
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 12:14:40 PM

Heh, no.

I still prefer to think of Bitcoin as Galt's Gulch, which we can easily disappear into if we wanted to "exit" the economy.
A rather interesting idea with implications.  Consider the case of some country under severe economic duress and facing near term collapse.  The ready and fluid availability of an alternative and substitute currency places a limit on the extent to which that government can impoverish it's subjects.

That's a game changer.
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 01:53:08 PM

Heh, no.

A rather interesting idea with implications.  Consider the case of some country under severe economic duress and facing near term collapse.  The ready and fluid availability of an alternative and substitute currency places a limit on the extent to which that government can impoverish it's subjects.

That's a game changer.

Its not really.  Most people don't have cash - they have assets like houses, farms and businesses.  A country under server economic duress will always have the option of taxing those assets. 
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 02:10:13 PM

Heh, no.

That's a game changer.

Its not really.  Most people don't have cash - they have assets like houses, farms and businesses.  A country under server economic duress will always have the option of taxing those assets. 

But worst come to worst, people who own those assets can sell them and convert the proceeds to bitcoin, too. Then if things get too bad, perhaps they can emigrate elsewhere.
Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 02:18:07 PM

...snip...

But worst come to worst, people who own those assets can sell them and convert the proceeds to bitcoin, too. Then if things get too bad, perhaps they can emigrate elsewhere.

They can already do that with gold or any other commodity.  The thing is, that would be selling at the bottom of the market.  Most people won't move country at all and those that are willing to move country rarely include the asset rich classes.  

For that class of person, where Bitcoin does feature is if you are old and facing the end.  Sell your assets, convert into Bitcoin and distribute them among your heirs.  Your family thus avoid inheritance tax and none of them have broken any laws.  But that's off topic to poor Ayn Rand.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 02:30:51 PM

If you don't give up your bitcoin holdings, and no one knows how much you actually have, then I guess you can just say you can't pay your taxes, because you don't have the money. They can put a huge debt on you, which will make borrowing through official channels more difficult, and I guess they can confiscate your whole house and business, which will suck, but they might leave your business soft of alone if it's big enough, and doing so will cause a lot of people to lose jobs and make the politicians look bad... Eh, either way, it's a mess, but at least it's somewhat of an alternative.

As for gold, that won't really work, since that gets confiscated at the border. If the country falls THAT far, we may end up with closed borders like USSR had, and they inspected everything that people carried out. Someone even tried to smuggle out diamonds inside watermelons (inserted while the melons were still young), and they even found and took that. This is also why I think that a border fence to keep illegals out is a horrible idea, but that's also a whole other topic.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 03:29:10 PM

...snip...

They can already do that with gold or any other commodity.
No, not really. Ever tried to store gold in your brain, to avoid confiscation at the border?

Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 04:11:16 PM

...snip...

No, not really. Ever tried to store gold in your brain, to avoid confiscation at the border?

Hmmm.  I was thinking of Greece and Cyprus where borders are porous.  But if you wanted to move money from Germany or the like, then yes, you are right?
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 05:09:07 PM

...snip...

Hmmm.  I was thinking of Greece and Cyprus where borders are porous.  But if you wanted to move money from Germany or the like, then yes, you are right?

Another issue is storage. Hard to store a lot of gold at home, and storing it at a bank is not a good idea either apparently:

http://kingworldnews.com/kingworldnews/KWN_DailyWeb/Entries/2013/4/23_Sinclair_-_Swiss_Bank_Just_Refused_To_Give_My_Friend_His_Gold.html
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 12:16:35 AM

I always thought storing at the Perth Mint in AU wasn't a terribly bad idea.

They give out "warehouse receipts" and are not a bank or subject to banking regs.

Of course, we might expect the long arm of the Takers to reach out in every direction possible.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 12:20:59 AM

They give out "warehouse receipts" and are not a bank or subject to banking regs.

Of course, we might expect the long arm of the Takers to reach out in every direction possible.
Now that's interesting. Are those "warehouse receipts" transferable?

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 12:23:57 AM

Now that's interesting. Are those "warehouse receipts" transferable?
Sorry, but I don't know that part.  You can download a brochure from the guys at Perth or just ask them.  I have not used them, but I have been in gold bug type meetings where people spoke highly of them.

I had the impression that it wasn't one of these places where for every ounce of physical gold, they write up one hundred receipts.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: