Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:06:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I worry that MtGox is going to keep my money?  (Read 493 times)
juanre (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 07:35:58 AM

Greetings,

I am very worried that MtGox might freeze my account and keep my money, essentially for no reason whatsoever.  I verified my identity with them quite a while ago, and have been happily sending them bitcoins.  Then I wanted to take some money out, set up a bank for funds retrieval, that was accepted, and made a bunch of orders starting five days ago.  None of them have arrived, and now I find that they don't let me move out any funds (not even my bitcoins!) and they tell me that my account is under verification.  When contacted, they told me that the name in the bank account is different than the one in my mtgox account... But it is the same name!  The only difference is that a Manuel, my second name, that is speelled out in mtgox, is an M in the bank!  I haven't been able to contact an actual human being that could understand that it is actually my name, despite the fact that I sometimes use the middle initial and sometimes the middle full name. 

Should I be worried?  Have they been known to keep people's money without giving them the opportunity to explain?  Is there anything at all I can do?  The couple of answers I've got so far could just as well come from a bot, and they take about two days to answer.

Any suggestion will be appreciated,

jm

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RokShox

Activity: 23

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 07:46:46 AM

Maybe cancel the USD withdrawals, convert all cash to BTC, withdraw the BTC, and find another exchange to sell them on.

Then walk away from the incompetence at Mt Gox.

Or maybe you can cancel the withdrawals, then change your bank info at Mt Gox so it is *identical* to your bank's records. Withdraw, then ditch Mt Gox.

The key is to ditch Mt Gox.
rpm

Activity: 11

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 07:51:44 AM

This uncertainty with Gox is really causing negative sentiments towards bitcoin.

juanre (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 07:55:14 AM

Well, it turns out they don't let me move my bitcoins either!  I guess the easiest would be to change my name at mtgox so that it exactly matches my name at the bank account.  I don't know if that would solve the problem, though.

Thanks,

jm
RokShox

Activity: 23

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 07:58:47 AM

You could set up a Dwolla account. Transfer cash from Mt. Gox to Dwolla, then from Dwolla to your bank. It will take a few days to set up Dwolla, but it's worth it. Flat 25 cent fee to transfer any amount of cash.
ByTeCee

Activity: 22

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 08:01:28 AM

I think you will be okay but keep hassling. The site has been under immense pressure and the stated time for withdrawals is 2 weeks. As far as the support goes I think the issue there is people with limited english.  But, as you say, the answers could just have easily come from a bot which doesnt really inspire confidence.

My suggestion is just to keep hassleing through AML and support.

juanre (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 08:18:54 AM

Thank you.  I'll keep hassling, maybe write once a day, maybe that'll take me to an English-speaking actual human.  I'll also try out the Dwolla account, but I am pretty sure it won't work: they are not letting move my funds in any form, I think.

jm
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: