Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:49:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Criminal Wallet Address Database?  (Read 2703 times)
amazingfunksta (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 12:36:15 AM

Most probobly a payment to a merchant would be made with partially tainted and partially clean bitcoins.  As time goes on more and more transactions each would have a small amount of taint in them.  And we are supposed to do something about this?

This is exactly how real world cash works as well.  I bet some of the cash in your pocket (if you have any) has at once time been either stolen, used for drugs or other illegal acts.  Cash is that way.  

The goal isn't to attack the tainted funds, the goal would be to trace the transactions to hopefully, eventually lead back to the identity of the thief such that he can be found out and be punished / sued in a civil suit. With cash, it's harder to trace the order and how the transactions took place. However, like mentioned, the thief would have to inadvertently give himself away in some fashion by tying multiple of his addresses to his real identity. This would provide sufficient evidence for law enforcement to act. 

We need to protect our private property rights. However, like any free market, I'm fairly certain a solution will evolve to deal with this. I'm just trying to put some ideas out there in the hopes that somebody adopts the cause.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2011, 03:10:30 AM

Most probobly a payment to a merchant would be made with partially tainted and partially clean bitcoins.  As time goes on more and more transactions each would have a small amount of taint in them.  And we are supposed to do something about this?

This is exactly how real world cash works as well.  I bet some of the cash in your pocket (if you have any) has at once time been either stolen, used for drugs or other illegal acts.  Cash is that way.  

The goal isn't to attack the tainted funds, the goal would be to trace the transactions to hopefully, eventually lead back to the identity of the thief such that he can be found out and be punished / sued in a civil suit.

I just don't see a way this can work.  It can be defeated or used for evil. 

So you steal some bitcoins.  Then you launder it a bit maybe to make it confusing but still traceable.  Then you place an order with an online store (like mine) paid with tainted coins.  Here is the problem...  you make the order with the name, address and phone number of your enemy, not you. 

TheVirus

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 01:06:18 PM

I can write something that can make it easy to track transactions if there's enough interest *cough*donate*cough*.  Grin
Boy, this is tough.  Do I comment on the concept of someone named TheVirus writing code....
or, TheVirus saying *cough* *cough* ....

Hah, I've had this name for almost 20 years. I assure you I am safe Smiley

The way I was thinking about doing it would be to give a starting address and it would list the transactions in a tree (similar to a directory tree) so you can follow the flow. There's not much that can be done with that but I guess you could have a flag placed on coins and that can be used by merchants/exchanges to see if any coins are shady. The main issue would be how do you determine if the claim is theft or just a witch hunt? I feel that someone would transfer money to another wallet and claim it was stolen and cause all sorts of issues.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: