Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:55:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: S9 Enclosures - sound abatement - heat removal..suggesstions  (Read 1782 times)
bit2255 (OP)

Activity: 125
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 10, 2017, 02:07:17 PM

I'm a newbie doing prelim research before I pull the trigger on a "simple" S9 "in-home" rig.

I am just looking to see what others have done as far as building their own and/or purchasing an enclosure for ant-miner setup.

I an more concerned about noise abatement than heat management, though heat management is still a concern.

Any help/pictures/suggestions would be appreciated.. (note - I have seen the "XRackPro2 Noise Reducing Server Racks" website. this appears to be OK for noise, but I am not sure [without mods] about heat removal for a S9)

TIA

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gt_addict

Activity: 2478
Merit: 621

View Profile
January 10, 2017, 03:31:33 PM

Ive got an S9 under my desk at home and the noise is fine if you heavily underclock it. Mine is running 5.8Th with ambient temps of 20c and fans set to 25%. The PCB and Chip Temps are 62c and 90c respectively.

I do have a manually adjustable S9 though. New ones have "autotune" which doesn't let you adjust the freq or the fan speed, which is important is you want to make it quieter.

**SUPPORT SIDEHACK** Miner Development Donations to:  1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr

Donations/Tips to:-   1GTADDicTXD1uachKKgW24DZDxDGhSMdRa

Join Bitconnect: https://bitconnect.co/?ref=gtaddict
bit2255 (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2017, 03:56:13 PM

Ive got an S9 under my desk at home and the noise is fine if you heavily underclock it. Mine is running 5.8Th with ambient temps of 20c and fans set to 25%. The PCB and Chip Temps are 62c and 90c respectively.

I do have a manually adjustable S9 though. New ones have "autotune" which doesn't let you adjust the freq or the fan speed, which is important is you want to make it quieter.

Not knowing your $/KWh, does this under clocked rate (5.8 Th vs, 13-14 Th) still make running just one (S9) miner profitable? (say ROI of less than 8-12 months?)

Isn't your noise reduced/manually reduced setting just above an S7 mining rate?

All that being said (asked), my rigs ambient would probably be just be slightly above yours (+/- 74f ; 23c). If I build/purchase an enclosure for noise abatement, I would exhaust the air outside of my home (either to garage or up my dryer exhaust vent).

gt_addict

View Profile
January 10, 2017, 04:14:07 PM

I use the heat to warm the room and the adjacent room so save on heating bills slightly. My electricity cost is around $0.20kwh so never been that much in profit. But I'm a home hobby miner. The hash rate is just above that of an S7 but the efficiency is better so actually made a profit compared to the S7LN I used to have. ROI doesn't bother me. Just aslong as I at least break even.

**SUPPORT SIDEHACK** Miner Development Donations to:  1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr

bit2255 (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2017, 04:37:19 PM

You sound allot like me, If I pull the trigger and do this, it will also be just a a home hobby miner....

My main concern is the noise, other than a few locations inside my home, my only other option is in my garage, where the noise would not be an issue. The issue with the garage, are the ambient temps. I live in central Florida and the garage can get pretty warm..though I have never actually noted the temps during the spring/summer/fall (ave outside temps +/- 90f (32c)) and I beleive the garage would be significantly higher than that.
gt_addict

View Profile
January 10, 2017, 04:43:19 PM

Yea you'd need to keep the miner indoors and vent to outside as the garage would be too hot to run at full speed.

Have you got a loft/attic space you could utilise? Draw the air from a room and vent through the roof?

bit2255 (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2017, 06:17:12 PM

The attic would almost fulfill the needs but not really that practical (more challenging for cool air supply, power (220v), internet)

My laundry room already has 220v unused receptacle, shares a wall with the garage, so I would either punch thru that wall to route the air into the garage or even possibly tap into the dryer exhaust vent/hose and route the hot air directly out the vent to the outside (roof). My router is also pretty close to the laundry room so connecting to to my network would not be an issue either.

I just need to abate the noise from within the laundry room. I guess I will just need to build some kind of sound dampening box/enclosure that will fit the hardware (S9/PSU).

My intent on this post was to hopefully tap into other "small home hobby miners" that have tackled the noise issue and pass their solutions onto me.

gt_addict

View Profile
January 10, 2017, 06:46:02 PM

The attic would almost fulfill the needs but not really that practical (more challenging for cool air supply, power (220v), internet)

My laundry room already has 220v unused receptacle, shares a wall with the garage, so I would either punch thru that wall to route the air into the garage or even possibly tap into the dryer exhaust vent/hose and route the hot air directly out the vent to the outside (roof). My router is also pretty close to the laundry room so connecting to to my network would not be an issue either.

I just need to abate the noise from within the laundry room. I guess I will just need to build some kind of sound dampening box/enclosure that will fit the hardware (S9/PSU).

My intent on this post was to hopefully tap into other "small home hobby miners" that have tackled the noise issue and pass their solutions onto me.

Ive seen a few threads about putting them in a box and insulating it (not for warmth but for sound) and running acoustic ducting to try and lessen the fan noise. With mine at the speed its on sounds no more noisy than a desk fan current noise levels are 52db.

bit2255 (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2017, 07:05:31 PM

I understand the hear you (pun intended... Grin).

I would think that I would prefer to get a new S9 and run it at full capacity, therefore, i believe the approx db level unabated is around 80db.

So hopefully the effort/costs involved in building an enclosure to reduce the noise would be minimal in order to utilize the S9 at its' full +/- 14Th/s rating, even though I just plan on being a small home miner.

Right now, I believe this is the only major hurdle I need to overcome before I decide to do this.... hopefully no other significant issues pop up in my planning/implementation.

I have 100% solar at my home, so my current elec bills are just the taxes/fees and total home surge protection charge totaling about $20/month. I know I will be using more than I currently generate, but I do not see my electric costs rising too much based on the S9s consumption.
gt_addict

View Profile
January 10, 2017, 09:34:49 PM

Sounds like you're covering pretty much every angle. If I had a solar aspect or cheaper electricity available id certainly be taking over the garage and having a mini farm. But even with the S9 being the best for efficiency I only earn about $30 after electricity. That's without factoring in the cost of the miner itself. I did change my fans for different design ones, same rpm rating (which is important for cooling) but blade design was different as the existing rear fan whined something terrible even at lower speed settings.

elokk

Activity: 723
Merit: 519

View Profile
January 11, 2017, 12:41:43 AM

Look into a soundproof rack cabinet:

http://www.rackmountsolutions.net/UCoustic_9210_Range_Soundproof_Rackmount_Cabinets.asp

Very pricey, unless you find someone selling a used one Wink

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1658849.0

t.me/bitcoinasic
bit2255 (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2017, 03:37:45 PM

I found this enclosure the other day, :

http://www.xrackpro.com/v/vspfiles/xrackpro4U.htm

elokk

View Profile
January 11, 2017, 04:19:05 PM

I found this enclosure the other day, :

http://www.xrackpro.com/v/vspfiles/xrackpro4U.htm

I wonder how many kW that enclosure can handle before overheating

t.me/bitcoinasic
bit2255 (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2017, 04:42:50 PM

Still being a rookie-noob.... I just saw that the R4 might be a great workaround, for noise issues..home mining.

Their about 8.6 Th/s..

Looks like I need some additional research time...........
elokk

View Profile
January 11, 2017, 05:11:38 PM

Still being a rookie-noob.... I just saw that the R4 might be a great workaround, for noise issues..home mining.

Their about 8.6 Th/s..

Looks like I need some additional research time...........

Yes the R4 is hardly noticeable running in a home.

However , a lot of people have been having quality issues with them so probably best to buy a used R4 from someone. This way you can verify it runs as advertised. Buying directly new from Bitmain is risky, 2 of the 4 I purchased from Bitmain only hashed on one board.

t.me/bitcoinasic
mindtrip
Legendary

Activity: 1167
Merit: 1009

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2017, 03:18:02 AM

I have one in my office it helps as a heater for the cold winter months and it's no more noise then my air filter
bomberb17

Activity: 771
Merit: 528

View Profile
January 15, 2017, 02:32:40 PM

Problem is the R4 has higher $/THs which translates into longer ROI.
I believe that sound-proofing the S9 would be best. Acoustic cabinets would do this, but small ones like 4U wouldn't handle the heat, and large ones are bulky and expensive.
So I think that the only viable solution is custom acoustic ducting. I'm curious if anyone has done it..
grumpyshamurai

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 15, 2017, 03:50:51 PM

The issue with the sound cabinet is the fact you need to create a greater static pressure then the miner itself creates. Which would involve an exaust fan thats either large or spinning very fast. So you need to make more noise to get rid of some. Now if that exhaust fan was located away from the miner in another room. I had my miner in an insulated tube running to another room dumping outside. I think it may have put extra strain and heat on the miner.  I think if you want to home mine in an apt you really should not be playing with an s9.
bomberb17

Activity: 771
Merit: 528

View Profile
January 15, 2017, 06:16:30 PM

I've also seen this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjCQ4bJWY-U
Don't know what his 'secret' is or if his S7 still works though  Undecided
GMPoison

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 17, 2017, 08:43:07 PM

Let us know what you come up with and post a few pictures!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: