Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:02:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Where does the money come from when mining?  (Read 16376 times)
dewman

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 10:43:40 AM

It's a fiat currency just like the US dollar.  Backed by nothing.

where the rate to dollar/euro comes from then Smiley
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RevolutionMaster

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 11:56:37 AM

It's a fiat currency just like the US dollar.  Backed by nothing.

Nowhere. They Euro/Dollar has value because the government says it has value. Now stop questioning the logic of it before the IRL currency collapses!
realnowhereman

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 12:25:47 PM

Nowhere. They Euro/Dollar has value because the government says it has value. Now stop questioning the logic of it before the IRL currency collapses!

I think strictly speaking that isn't so.  Dollars and Euros have value because you can buy things with them, rather than because the government says they do.

You can sell $10 of your time cleaning cars, say.  That $10 could buy you $10 worth of wheat.  The farmer can take your $10 and buy $10 worth of oil.  The $10 was entirely an intermediary, what has actually happened was oil was bought for time.  The numbers on your money simply serve as an exchange rate between those things.

No government is able to say "1 unit of currency equals 5 minutes of a master carpenters time" (although many have tried).  They can issue another unit of currency, but only the market can tell you what it's worth.

1AAZ4xBHbiCr96nsZJ8jtPkSzsg1CqhwDa
irb

Activity: 18

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2011, 06:04:04 PM

Bitcoins aren't actually "found". ...

Thanks for that answer! If I had any BTC I'd toss some at you.

/i.
Grouver (BtcBalance) (OP)

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2011, 06:42:23 PM
Last edit: June 16, 2011, 06:55:04 PM by Grouver

It's a reward for solving the block, and comes from nowhere except the work required to solve the block.

So again at the end you create blocks wich are added to the system.
For creating these you get a BTC bounty wich is much more worth in USD/EUR then you put in at the beginning in the form of electricity.
And this bounty is paid by a tiny x % of the total amount of BTC avaialable in the system?

So all people who own bitcoins and invested USD/EUR in them pay you indirectly for mining and basicly lose money?

Sorry for maybe asking the same question in a different way.
But my guts just never trusted systems that say you get free money (BTC -> EURO/USD) for doing almost nothing (mining).

At the end it comes around as the following:
2 euro - > Electricty -> Mining -> 1 BTC -> 15 euro
Profit = 13 euro for just running your mining rig all day.
But who pay for these 13 euros that just got created when mining?

Rob P.

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2011, 07:47:25 PM

It's a reward for solving the block, and comes from nowhere except the work required to solve the block.

So again at the end you create blocks wich are added to the system.
For creating these you get a BTC bounty wich is much more worth in USD/EUR then you put in at the beginning in the form of electricity.
And this bounty is paid by a tiny x % of the total amount of BTC avaialable in the system?

So all people who own bitcoins and invested USD/EUR in them pay you indirectly for mining and basicly lose money?

Sorry for maybe asking the same question in a different way.
But my guts just never trusted systems that say you get free money (BTC -> EURO/USD) for doing almost nothing (mining).

At the end it comes around as the following:
2 euro - > Electricty -> Mining -> 1 BTC -> 15 euro
Profit = 13 euro for just running your mining rig all day.
But who pay for these 13 euros that just got created when mining?

For what it's worth.  You cannot mine on electricity alone.  You also have to have a motherboard, cpu, graphics card (or 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 of them), power supply, network AND the electricity to run it all.  Oh yea, and the time and knowledge to get it all running.

Saying mining's only cost is electricity is like saying you can dig for gold with only gasoline as a cost.

--

If you like what I've written here, consider tipping the messenger:
1GZu4CtHa6ai8iWoWiVFxV5VVoNte4SkoG

If you don't like what I've written, send me a Tip and I'll stop talking.
Auspician

Activity: 126
Merit: 103

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 08:17:50 PM

Inflation and deflation are not entirely functions of the money supply; indeed, they are not even functions of that portion of the money supply that is in circulation.  Instead, inflation and deflation are terms which relate to the value of a set amount of units of the currency at a given time in terms of what goods/services it can purchase.

Simple explanation: If the rate of market growth is greater than that of currency growth, the value of each unit of currency will go up (deflation).  If the rate of market growth is less than that of currency growth, the value of each unit of currency will go down (inflation). 

Detailed explanation: The reason it is said that BTC is deflationary is not because the money supply is decreasing (indeed, as was pointed out above, it is steadily and predictably increasing) but because additional merchants are willing to offer their goods and services for the BTCs that exist at a rate faster than the money supply increases.

If there were 100 BTCs in the system, 100 merchants accepting BTCs, and each merchant had 1 item of nominally equivalent value to sell, in a moment of static time each item would cost 1 BTC.

If you had those same merchants with the same goods but 200 BTCs in the system, it would be more likely that each item would sell for 0.50 BTCs. 

Currently, the BTC supply increases by 40% annually.  If the nominal value of goods that are sold for BTCs in that time doubles, we will experience deflation.  If you do the math, you quickly realize that each BTC will purchase about 43% more than it did the previous year.  (100/100 = 100%, 200/140 = 143%)

Obviously this is a gross simplification that only works practically in an economy with only a single viable currency, but it serves well to illustrate the point.  Since the number of merchants accepting BTCs is growing rapidly as is the total number and value of goods offered for BTCs, it is extremely likely that market growth will vastly outpace currency growth.

papajo

Activity: 28

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 12:00:01 PM
Last edit: October 07, 2013, 12:15:21 PM by papajo

I am sorry for bringing this topic again to surface but I still feel like I am watching this southpark episode were gnomes were stealing undeware for profit...

10 second sum up clip here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO5sxLapAts

I wanted to start mining aswell and to spend heavy $ to get some GH/s power but I am too afraid to do so since  I still understand that this system is supposed to make money out of thinn air..

And no its not like mining gold... gold has not just a pricetag because we like it to have one.. its a metal that doesnt change due time (so it will be like this forever not like steel for example that will become rust eventually)

and it has many uses besides jewlery for example in electronics.. every high end piece of tech has a little amount of gold in its circuitry... so thats why humans need gold to make stuff out of it.. and its precious because its rare and everybody wants it but most importand many need it to make something that has worth (like a cellphone)

so what is a block? how do you introduce a block to the community? what does it contain? who needs it? and who pays for it to be solved... can I put a block on the chain? why? and how?

If I get a special PCIe card that makes 600GH/s needing 300 watts to do so and use it 24/7 I will have as profit ~90 usd per day (and I am talking about PROFIT = I already payed the bills and will get an EXTRA 90$ profit above of that)

who gives me that extra 90$?? the global community because I spend money to get the PCie card and I spend money to power this card??? in less than tree months I will have paid ALL the cost of the card I bought with real money (it costs 4k usd) and all the bills for those 3 months.. and I will just sit and watch my profits.. after those 3 months I have just PURE profit of about 50k$ for the year (by calculating 15 BC per block)

so how can that happen??? I think its a sort of piramid.. that didnt gone wild yet since there is a lot of income from people that invest in it for its rush (buying equipment for having more GH/s) but after this stops (because eventually we all will have our monster PCs) then no money will come in...

has anybody here even accumulated a serious amount of usd? like more than 500$ real 100% profit?? and exchanged it for real USD within a month or two ??

And also why are the block 21.000 and not 3 or 3.000.000.000 who decided that and on what creteria???

and when the blocks end how will you make money by the exchange fees?? which exchange fees? exchange feer for what exchange? and why should one pay a fee for this exchange?
OnkelPaul
Legendary

Activity: 1039
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 12:06:22 PM

Most of these questions are answered in various FAQs all over the place - have you searched around a bit?
It really does not make sense to answer questions which others have answered with great care already.

Onkel Paul

papajo

Activity: 28

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 12:11:05 PM

they are supposed to have been answered in this topic aswell I still dont get it though it still seems to me  phase 1 ? ? ? ? phase 2 calculate a block phase 3 ? ? ? ? phase 4 profit
fattypig

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2013, 02:29:30 PM

I just realized this topic is 2 years ago, cause a hero member asking this question just really weird!

In short: Mine bitcoin and sell it Smiley

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: