Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 01:19:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will owning/trading Purevidz tokens make you liable to MPAA lawsuits?  (Read 1449 times)
Zer0Sum
Legendary

Activity: 1588
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 16, 2017, 04:56:47 PM

Purevidz claims to be some type of censor resistant platform using torrents and a few other buzzword technologies to create a streaming content site similar to hulu or netflix but with pirated content.

Lets ignore the technology aspect of this scheme. Lets ignore that you already can get this content for free from a number of reliable sources including the censor resistant sites on zeronet (zeroplay, zerotv, zerotorrent.bit) Maybe you can't stream them yet, but again lets ignore all technology aspects, similar to their threads where they only focus on the money.

The center and most heavily promoted part of this scheme is the bounty system. Bounty is paid in vidz tokens. Bounty is used to request content and pay moderators off and pay for development. Because of the bounty aspect, it could be argued that the moderators and developers are generating money from illegal content, ie making money from pirated content. Because of the bounty aspect, it could be argued that owners of this token are propping up the value of their token through illegal content.

It seems to me that once you include money (the vidz tokens) with pirated content you have just opened yourself up to a whole new legal level of MPAA lawsuits. So the purpose of this thread is to discuss who will be liable and how will the MPAA take this?

I foresee the MPAA going after, very heavily,

any exchange that trades a token (who's sole purpose is linked to pirated content trading)
users who purchase the token
hosting companies who are paid via this token
legit businesses who wish to use this service but get paid bounties via this token
moderators who receive this token as form of payment.

why would holding vidz make holders liable as well? where do they explicitly say their service is for pirated content because i recall seeing it said early on that the platform would be scaled for all types a videos so long as the video/torrent has users seeding it.

if their platform decided to buy up a ton of doge (or insert w/e your favorite coin is here) before and they did their exact same model of coin burning, etc. etc. does this some now implicate doge holders. why or why not? is it because there are holders of doge who hold it for other purposes then purevidz? how does the law differentiate and determine what type of holder you are and then determine who to turn a blind eye to?

in that case how does the law differentiate between vidz? if vidz is listed on an exchange an investor/buyer might be oblivious to what it is and simply be looking to make trades by analyzing the market. they see it as simply another crypto asset since the exchange listed it. is the fault with them? the exchange? who?

i'm not going to call your questions/statements outright fud but because of the grey area of so much of this stuff "only time will tell"

The OP is completely uninformed.

The project in question was, explicitly and in detail, promoted as being legal in the domiciled jurisdiction.

Investors in junior, speculative securities such as gold or medical or tech or crypto promotions...
Have no independent information on what is really being done by the Principals... and can only rely on the Prospectus.

Thenoticer (OP)

Activity: 332
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 16, 2017, 05:33:12 PM

Purevidz claims to be some type of censor resistant platform using torrents and a few other buzzword technologies to create a streaming content site similar to hulu or netflix but with pirated content.

Lets ignore the technology aspect of this scheme. Lets ignore that you already can get this content for free from a number of reliable sources including the censor resistant sites on zeronet (zeroplay, zerotv, zerotorrent.bit) Maybe you can't stream them yet, but again lets ignore all technology aspects, similar to their threads where they only focus on the money.

The center and most heavily promoted part of this scheme is the bounty system. Bounty is paid in vidz tokens. Bounty is used to request content and pay moderators off and pay for development. Because of the bounty aspect, it could be argued that the moderators and developers are generating money from illegal content, ie making money from pirated content. Because of the bounty aspect, it could be argued that owners of this token are propping up the value of their token through illegal content.

It seems to me that once you include money (the vidz tokens) with pirated content you have just opened yourself up to a whole new legal level of MPAA lawsuits. So the purpose of this thread is to discuss who will be liable and how will the MPAA take this?

any exchange that trades a token (who's sole purpose is linked to pirated content trading)
legit businesses who wish to use this service but get paid bounties via this token

why would holding vidz make holders liable as well? where do they explicitly say their service is for pirated content because i recall seeing it said early on that the platform would be scaled for all types a videos so long as the video/torrent has users seeding it.

if their platform decided to buy up a ton of doge (or insert w/e your favorite coin is here) before and they did their exact same model of coin burning, etc. etc. does this some now implicate doge holders. why or why not? is it because there are holders of doge who hold it for other purposes then purevidz? how does the law differentiate and determine what type of holder you are and then determine who to turn a blind eye to?

in that case how does the law differentiate between vidz? if vidz is listed on an exchange an investor/buyer might be oblivious to what it is and simply be looking to make trades by analyzing the market. they see it as simply another crypto asset since the exchange listed it. is the fault with them? the exchange? who?

i'm not going to call your questions/statements outright fud but because of the grey area of so much of this stuff "only time will tell"

The project in question was, explicitly and in detail, promoted as being legal in the domiciled jurisdiction.

Investors in junior, speculative securities such as gold or medical or tech or crypto promotions...
Have no independent information on what is really being done by the Principals... and can only rely on the Prospectus.

I assume by prospectus you are not referring to a doc filed with the SEC (which would have been rather comical) but the original vidz "whitepaper" that served as business plan extrodinaire. This plan described a system to stream illegal copy righted material and generate revenue from advertising.

I understand your comments to mean that since they claim to have found a jurisdiction that allows copy righted material to be streamed and revenue generated from ads on this site that it is ok hunky dory and profits go in the pocket no problem.

Guess problem solved right, MPAA won't go after them. Nor will they go after the people who are profiting from this.

My argument is that once you involve revenue and illegal streaming they go after you. There are countless examples to back this up. And the op was to question whether or not owning and participating with these tokens makes you liable as the only reason to have one of these tokens is to facilitate revenue from illegal streaming.
Zer0Sum
Legendary

Activity: 1588
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 17, 2017, 03:30:09 AM

I assume by prospectus you are not referring to a doc filed with the SEC (which would have been rather comical) but the original vidz "whitepaper" that served as business plan extrodinaire. This plan described a system to stream illegal copy righted material and generate revenue from advertising.

I understand your comments to mean that since they claim to have found a jurisdiction that allows copy righted material to be streamed and revenue generated from ads on this site that it is ok hunky dory and profits go in the pocket no problem.

Guess problem solved right, MPAA won't go after them. Nor will they go after the people who are profiting from this.

My argument is that once you involve revenue and illegal streaming they go after you. There are countless examples to back this up. And the op was to question whether or not owning and participating with these tokens makes you liable as the only reason to have one of these tokens is to facilitate revenue from illegal streaming.

I'm sure people buy these investment products so they can send their kids to college...
It would shock me if someone ever misrepresented an investment vehicle on Bitcointalk...
Especially since many of these securities are fronted by (and Principals are vouched for)... by very well respected Forum staff.
Thenoticer (OP)

Activity: 332
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 06:12:20 PM

i know
just a another shit coin PnD

BUT
it had something to offer and a cool website (that once did serve actual Movies).
It was Netflix, for near free!

streaming content, and rewarding uploaders.

STOP.  I know your next bone to pick.
But.
Really.
This a thing that needs to happen.  

A network that rewards open nodes that host the various content that is on demand.

VIDZ is a scam.
Gone. Puff!

Yet, the shadow of this project will return.

http://purevidz.net/  --off line  Grin
https://chainz.cryptoid.info/vidz/  --poorBeachz
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1696889.0  ---LOlZ

I'm thinking that Vidz might be DOA due to highly probable legal repercussions from MPAA.

Or it was a scam from day 1. Where are all you mouthy fuckers now?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: