Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 10:56:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What bugs me about this forum somehow  (Read 711 times)
Hong Kong (OP)

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2017, 06:05:55 PM
Last edit: July 09, 2017, 12:57:03 AM by Hong Kong

is that it's so centralized ?

maybe it's just me but I mean we have a nice admin and all, yes we really do ( ! ), but it's still like a web forum in the early 2000s or even late 90s when it comes to centralization. Like the Hillaries, Trumps and all that mindblowing orchestration. It's nice to have good leaders and nobody would dare to compare calm and clever people like Theymos with troublemakers that see their own opinions and look down on others.

It is the year 2017 and nobody has developed a forum software that works more in line with the future of the world. We can't afford no dudes who moderate posts of those who they dislike, or use the trust system to blackmail those they dislike. It's a no no but some of them do it. It bugs me. Why does it have to be this way. It is the time of open source and those who do that won't be able to do so on bleeding edge forum software as I have seen it described in 0day Monero papers. A forum based on real democratic principles would be NiCE

Ridin the wave

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 12, 2017, 06:24:23 PM

I think everyone here is open to discussion if you have concise thoughts on how to improve moderation and the trust system, so if you dislike how things are currently feel free to propose a better option. Until we find something better I think this will do, and has been doing quite well.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
January 12, 2017, 06:35:18 PM

There probably are quite a lot of improvements that could be done here (I'm not sure how the trust system or mods could do better though). The software has lasted for 8 years already though and has handled mass adoption of bitcoin thoughout those years.
If you have any suggestion, the staff/moderators/admins do often listen and implement what the community wants in order to improve the experience of the forum for them. There is also a programmer for this forum who I think is still programming the forum (as far as I know).

On the topic of decentralisation, we do have two admins (much better than just having one that controls everything). And there are many trustees of the forum that handle its money (along with many mods/users/admins/staff) who all contribute to the forum.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2017, 06:44:21 PM

If you have any suggestion, the staff/moderators/admins do often listen and implement what the community wants in order to improve the experience of the forum for them.
Good luck with getting changes done in a timely fashion.

There is also a programmer for this forum who I think is still programming the forum (as far as I know).
AFAIK theymos is the only one working on the SMF version (this forum). The other developers are working solely on the new forum.

We can't afford no dudes who moderate posts of those who they dislike, or use the trust system to blackmail those they dislike.
Unless you have clear examples of this (especially the first case), then you are talking nonsense.

Good look with a decentralized platform of this type. P.S. It won't work.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2017, 06:53:33 PM

If you have any suggestion, the staff/moderators/admins do often listen and implement what the community wants in order to improve the experience of the forum for them.
Good luck with getting changes done in a timely fashion.

There is also a programmer for this forum who I think is still programming the forum (as far as I know).
AFAIK theymos is the only one working on the SMF version (this forum). The other developers are working solely on the new forum.

We can't afford no dudes who moderate posts of those who they dislike, or use the trust system to blackmail those they dislike.
Unless you have clear examples of this (especially the first case), then you are talking nonsense.

Good look with a decentralized platform of this type. P.S. It won't work.

Is the new site publically avaliable yet? I saw a notification a while back saying that there was a "beta" version of the forum (or is there a preview of the new forum anywhere).
I think "hong kong" probably means that all moderators moderate by different forms of the same rules and has interpreted this differently (all mods follow the rules as far as I know, but some are slightly more harsh than others - normally quite good as mods are matched up quite well with their specific boards and there are three mods for the marketplace as well).
Changes might be done slowly, but if most agree on the change then it could be implemented over time.
minifrij
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1267

In Memory of Zepher

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2017, 07:07:57 PM

is that it's so centralized ?
How would you suggest that we combat that?

but it's still like a web forum in the early 2000s or even late 90s when it comes to centralization.
Because, currently, it's the best way. Decentralized problems have problems with spam, among other things.

We can't afford no dudes who moderate posts of those who they dislike
If you find a staff member who is moderating posts simply on whether he likes the person posting them then post about it or report it to a higher power. I can't imagine that they would stay moderator for much longer.

or use the trust system to blackmail those they dislike.
Similarly, if you see someone on DT using the trust system like that then report them in the Reputation section and they will likely be removed from the network.

A forum based on real democratic principles would be NiCE
When you say democratic principles, do you mean voting? If so, that would be easily abused by those who have troves of alt accounts.

There is a team still working on the new forum software coming Soon™. Only two years late.
You can suggest new ideas to be implemented in the New forum software board.

On the topic of decentralisation, we do have two admins (much better than just having one that controls everything).
We have three admins. The number of active admins is debatable.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2017, 07:59:05 PM

There is a team still working on the new forum software coming Soon™. Only two years late.
You can suggest new ideas to be implemented in the New forum software board.

On the topic of decentralisation, we do have two admins (much better than just having one that controls everything).
We have three admins. The number of active admins is debatable.

I didn't realise there were three admins. When did Cyrus become an admin? I always thought it was Theymos and Badbear. Badbear is not as active as the others though if that's what you were refering to (I don't think he is anyway)
Where is the new software? Or will it one day just randomely appear here for us to navigate it straight away after it's finished being developed?
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
January 12, 2017, 07:59:49 PM

People are more than welcome to make suggestions for how to make the forum better. Things aren't the way they are because someone is pulling strings or has some ulterior motives, things are the way they are because they are the best possible solutions working with what is available. If you have an idea that is doable, and no one can shoot down, then its a good idea and likely to be implemented. Keep in mind that proposals should probably be possible though.

If you are going to make suggestions, please back up your suggestions, give ways to accomplish what you would like to see done, and a list of pros/cons. Saying you want a decentralized forum is all fine and good, but perhaps suggest how that would work, who would develop it, pros/cons, etc.

You can check out all things having to do with the new forum software here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=167.0
actmyname
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 2504

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2017, 11:11:11 PM

I didn't realise there were three admins. When did Cyrus become an admin? I always thought it was Theymos and Badbear. Badbear is not as active as the others though if that's what you were refering to (I don't think he is anyway)

Cyrus became an admin last year during September. The thread congratulating him can be found here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1606843.0

And yes, BadBear is pretty inactive.

Where is the new software? Or will it one day just randomely appear here for us to navigate it straight away after it's finished being developed?

You can currently test it here: https://beta.bitcointalk.org/

... and the board for discussion about it is pretty jam-packed with information about it.

Centralization isn't necessarily a bad thing - a majority of the time it's desired, to keep things organized and not a cesspool of shit. The problem is corruption, but I'm not sure how corrupt theymos could be Roll Eyes . Imagine if there was no "delete" button on the forum, or if posts could be edited by people other than the original person who replied (of course, slippery slope but the point stands).

jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2017, 11:39:18 PM

Cyrus became an admin last year during September. The thread congratulating him can be found here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1606843.0

And yes, BadBear is pretty inactive.

You can currently test it here: https://beta.bitcointalk.org/

... and the board for discussion about it is pretty jam-packed with information about it.

Centralization isn't necessarily a bad thing - a majority of the time it's desired, to keep things organized and not a cesspool of shit. The problem is corruption, but I'm not sure how corrupt theymos could be Roll Eyes . Imagine if there was no "delete" button on the forum, or if posts could be edited by people other than the original person who replied (of course, slippery slope but the point stands).

Cyrus' movement from moderator to admin was quite silent but well deserved for him.
I'm not the OP here I don't think the forum should be centralised. Although, it may be a good idea to get a couple more moderators moved up into the different boards. Such as, "bitcoin discussion" and other boards that have become a little spammy recently may need an extra moderator there to help hilariousandco (who does quite a good job at moderating, but a team working on it would probably make it better than just one person).
I'll check out the beta sample of the forum software shortly (thanks for the link).
target
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1041

View Profile
January 13, 2017, 12:52:28 AM

The foru. Isn't centralized as far as i know. We pretty much can do whatever we want here in the forum but like in the offline world, there are consequences to all actions.

There had been a lot of discussions on improving the system but i think the only that aren't organized are those who usually break rules. things in the real world are censored and so should the online world.

minifrij
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1267

In Memory of Zepher

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2017, 01:02:20 AM

The foru. Isn't centralized as far as i know.
It absolutely is. theymos has complete authority over this forum; what he says goes. If he doesn't want something here, it won't be here. That is the definition of centralization.

We pretty much can do whatever we want here in the forum but like in the offline world, there are consequences to all actions.
You can't do what you want here, despite what it may seem like sometimes.

There had been a lot of discussions on improving the system but i think the only that aren't organized are those who usually break rules.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this, could you explain?

things in the real world are censored and so should the online world.
That's pretty debatable. Low amounts of censorship is one of the best parts about Bitcoin and the internet as a whole, I disagree that it should mimic life AFK.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: