Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 04:21:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S7 Sound Insulation Box  (Read 1225 times)
rbbrown1 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 13, 2017, 08:02:36 AM

I recently got an s7 antminer but I haven't been able to run it full speed due to how loud the fans are. So this got me thinking, could I build a box that channels out the heat and reduces the noise enough to run at full power?

Here is the general idea i have:
-A wooden/plastic/*some material* box. It will be large enough to hold the s7 with some airflow room.
-On the inside of the box, I will have some foam acoustic panels.
     -Yes i know what your thinking. "Wont the foam cause the heat to be even worse?" well that's where my next ideas come in.
-Some duct venting inside of that box to bring the hot air directly from the output of the s7 fan to the outside of the box.
     -This duct can then lead to outside to dispose of the hot air.
-Some more duct that will allow the s7 to draw cool air from outside of the box.
-All of the above ducting will have bends and be sound insulated to allow airflow and still minimize noise.
-There will be additional fans on opposite sides of the box. One for intake and one for output. These will help to cool the inside of the box for heat that escapes the two main fans.
     -Just like with the main s7 fans, these additional ones will have ducting and sound insulation to minimize the noise.
-All the intakes and outputs of the fans can be grouped together accordingly so it can have one large intake and one large output.

Does anyone here have experience with something similar to what I am thinking? Any advice you care to share. Potential problems. Any input can be helpful and would be greatly appreciated.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MrKaizerSoze

Activity: 38

View Profile
January 17, 2017, 07:12:34 PM

Does anyone here have experience with something similar to what I am thinking? Any advice you care to share. Potential problems. Any input can be helpful and would be greatly appreciated.

First, think about static air pressure and the condensation of the air. Second, go for the cheapest material for you, for example if you can get 6 sheets of MDF 1/4" x 20" x 20" (using the acoustic panels), you can get a better sound proofing than using plexiglass. Finally, think in how the heat flow out of your box, so always try to set you airflow as more vertically as you can.
GMPoison

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 17, 2017, 08:41:48 PM

Give us a few pictures when you've found a solution! As long as the box has good airflow (intake/exhaust) and it's not sitting in the sun some sort of sound insulating box should work nicely.
Azad19

Activity: 11

View Profile
March 09, 2017, 09:35:11 PM

I recently got an s7 antminer but I haven't been able to run it full speed due to how loud the fans are. So this got me thinking, could I build a box that channels out the heat and reduces the noise enough to run at full power?

Here is the general idea i have:
-A wooden/plastic/*some material* box. It will be large enough to hold the s7 with some airflow room.
-On the inside of the box, I will have some foam acoustic panels.
     -Yes i know what your thinking. "Wont the foam cause the heat to be even worse?" well that's where my next ideas come in.
-Some duct venting inside of that box to bring the hot air directly from the output of the s7 fan to the outside of the box.
     -This duct can then lead to outside to dispose of the hot air.
-Some more duct that will allow the s7 to draw cool air from outside of the box.
-All of the above ducting will have bends and be sound insulated to allow airflow and still minimize noise.
-There will be additional fans on opposite sides of the box. One for intake and one for output. These will help to cool the inside of the box for heat that escapes the two main fans.
     -Just like with the main s7 fans, these additional ones will have ducting and sound insulation to minimize the noise.
-All the intakes and outputs of the fans can be grouped together accordingly so it can have one large intake and one large output.

Get two Twister Storm instead... already running @ 3.3 T/hs easy will much lower Ultra Kaze (Push / Pull)!
Erumara

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

I mine because math

View Profile
March 11, 2017, 08:07:28 PM

http://imgur.com/a/6Sm6v

I haven't updated the pictures in a while, I've made some changes to the ducting system (Now 2x8" intake and 2x8" exhaust).

Total cost to build my enclosure (w/o wiring and fans) ~$400. It helps that I got most of the ductwork for free off of Kijiji Cheesy

Always hashing for the community. Oh, and dollars.
QuadrigaCX -Your North American Exchange- https://www.quadrigacx.com/?ref=h0een92jnww3mhxsekv3mqau -Get Verified Today!
GMPoison

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 11, 2017, 08:34:41 PM

http://imgur.com/a/6Sm6v

I haven't updated the pictures in a while, I've made some changes to the ducting system (Now 2x8" intake and 2x8" exhaust).

Total cost to build my enclosure (w/o wiring and fans) ~$400. It helps that I got most of the ductwork for free off of Kijiji Cheesy

That's legit!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: