Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 08:35:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Importing Strongcoin backup into Armory  (Read 1411 times)
Hitman10666 (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 05:36:14 AM

Some people might have heard about Stroncoin's security leak, which caused some people's Bitcoins to be stolen. When I discovered this, I went to take all of my Bitcoins out and transfer them to another address. To my surprise, I was not able to do so, since the website is having some sort of issue. I emailed the support email address, got a couple of replies which were simply questions, but have not been replied to since answering the questions. That was almost a week ago, so I am trying desperately to find a way to get my coins so I can stop having to deal with Strongcoin. Anyway, I have my Strongcoin paper backup, and am trying to use it using the Import/Sweep Private Keys function. I entered the private key into the box, selected "single key", and can only select "Import These Keys" since "Sweep" is greyed out. I hit OK, and nothing happens at all. The OK button looks like it's being pressed, but nothing else happens. Is there something I am doing wrong?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
picobit

Activity: 547
Merit: 500

Decor in numeris

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 01:50:19 PM

This sounds a bit urgent.  May I suggest that you open a blockchain.info wallet, and try to import the private keys there.  Then you can immediately transfer the money out and into an Armory account.
etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 04:27:30 PM

Some people might have heard about Stroncoin's security leak, which caused some people's Bitcoins to be stolen. When I discovered this, I went to take all of my Bitcoins out and transfer them to another address. To my surprise, I was not able to do so, since the website is having some sort of issue. I emailed the support email address, got a couple of replies which were simply questions, but have not been replied to since answering the questions. That was almost a week ago, so I am trying desperately to find a way to get my coins so I can stop having to deal with Strongcoin. Anyway, I have my Strongcoin paper backup, and am trying to use it using the Import/Sweep Private Keys function. I entered the private key into the box, selected "single key", and can only select "Import These Keys" since "Sweep" is greyed out. I hit OK, and nothing happens at all. The OK button looks like it's being pressed, but nothing else happens. Is there something I am doing wrong?

I found an error in the error-handling code, which causes that "Ok" button to do nothing when you enter invalid data.  So it should've notified you that the data was invalid, but it doesn't change the fact it was invalid!

I'm not familiar with the data format that Strongcoin produces.  Do you think you could give me a sample that doesn't have any money attached to it?  Then I can see what it's expecting.  But is it only a single private key?  Does strongcoin only use one address for your account?

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
Hitman10666 (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 07:40:04 PM

I found an error in the error-handling code, which causes that "Ok" button to do nothing when you enter invalid data.  So it should've notified you that the data was invalid, but it doesn't change the fact it was invalid!

I'm not familiar with the data format that Strongcoin produces.  Do you think you could give me a sample that doesn't have any money attached to it?  Then I can see what it's expecting.  But is it only a single private key?  Does strongcoin only use one address for your account?

The numbers that the paper backup give are "Private Key Encrypted", which looks like this:

R2DsdHSkY2/1ohess4WwA2DW5gxHtg+
gfjPNiWSpiPJdNS1TAWzS29sdcASfq5o
Sl1TH5SKRA4jsJ/dWRAzAnGgbHeQajVAR
fps8c2PYbH=

It also gives a checksum, which looks like this:

43543452c78b9c360f847f08dddd42cc

Other than that, it gives you your balance, public address, and password hint.

And I will try and import it into a blockchain account and see what I can do.
Hitman10666 (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2013, 04:58:12 PM

Just tried to import into Blockchain.info and it did not recognize the key. So that won't work Sad
etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2013, 04:59:39 PM

Just tried to import into Blockchain.info and it did not recognize the key. So that won't work Sad

It's because that key is not in a standard format.  Somehow it has to be converted to a standard format that is recognized by other apps.

I'm not sure what format it's in... but I'm sure you can do some searches for StrongCoin private keys and figure out what format it's in, and how to convert it.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
Hitman10666 (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 07:23:59 AM

Okay, I figured it out. There is a "decode key" option on the Strongcoin website that decodes the key into a standard format. Armory is now scanning the blockchain to get the funds from this account. Thanks for the help!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: