Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:23:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blockchain.info - mnemonic seed only good to recover accounts on their website?  (Read 3802 times)
CoinUser123 (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 13, 2015, 11:36:27 PM

I am trying to recover my Blockchain.info account.

I have the identifier. I have the password. I have the mnemonic seed given to me when I originally made the account.

Problem is, I enabled API IP whitelisting to an address that I no longer have access to. I have attempted to use the recovery seed in Electrum (not compatible), Mycelium (not compatible), and Blockchain.info (just gives me the identifier and password that I already have, then tells me my IP address isn't permitted access, because of the IP whitelisting)

What is the point of having a mnemonic recovery seed if it's useless for anything other than recovering on THEIR website?

Can I use this recovery seed anywhere else to recover these coins?

What am I missing here? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
AgentofCoin
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 12:03:01 AM

I am not entirely sure, but I think there is nothing you can do other than contact support.
Since you enabled "IP restriction", there is no way to access your account without support removing that security.

Why would you use an IP restriction and why do you no longer have access to that IP?

I support a decentralized & unregulatable ledger first, with safe scaling over time.
Request a signed message if you are associating with anyone claiming to be me.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 12:49:06 AM

Do you have a backup of your wallet?

What does blockchain.info suggest?

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 01:33:19 AM

The mnemonic alone cannot be used to recover your private keys. Blockchain.info isn't a HD wallet, it generates a new key for each Bitcoin address whereas HD wallets like electrum derive a key from a seed for each address. So you need to regularly backup your wallet if you use blockchain.info

Use the "recover wallet" feature, support can disable IP whitelisting and they are usually pretty fast.

If you don't have a backup and support can't help you, you might be able to get a backup from your browsers cache.

bitbaby

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2015, 01:56:34 AM

You will just have to write to support and see how it goes from there, before they reset the IP restriction they will make sure that you're the original owner of the account, you will have to provide them reason as to why you're not able to operate your account from your original IP.

If you're still in control of the email address they send the 2fa email to or the phone they send the sms to and you know the password then they might remove the IP restriction and allow you to log in from another one. This is why you should always keep a backup of your keys, if you're able to access your account, make sure to do that right away when you log in.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 02:12:42 AM

What is the point of having a mnemonic recovery seed if it's useless for anything other than recovering on THEIR website?

The point of it is to recover your identifier and/or password if you forget them.

Can I use this recovery seed anywhere else to recover these coins?

No.  It isn't a "recovery seed"  it is only a mnemonic for your identifier and password.  The identifier and password aren't useful anywhere else.

What am I missing here?

You are missing a backup of your wallet.  You really should have stored a backup copy of your wallet in case blockchain.info were to ever become inaccessible

Anyone have any ideas?

Contact blockchain.info support.  Wait for them to find the time to respond to you.  Good luck.
jt byte

Activity: 994
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 02:41:23 AM

the mnemonic is just an encoding of your password in https://blockchain.info

With the "Mnemonic Phrase", you could get back the wallet identifier and password in the following page.
https://blockchain.info/wallet/forgot-password
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: