Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:16:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-04-12 Kudlow Likes bitcoins, but thinks they should be linked to gold  (Read 858 times)
vvic (OP)

Activity: 144
Merit: 104

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 04:17:40 AM

Larry Kudlow feels that bitcoin is a future, but thinks to stabilize it, it needs to be liked to the gold. He almost getting it, but no need for gold Grin

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?play=1&video=3000160877
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ECore

Activity: 420
Merit: 252

https://ubikiri.com/

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2013, 05:02:10 AM

The only way to "link" it to gold is have a major stabilized bitcoin/gold online exchange.

Integrated Distributed Ledgers
A whole world of different blockchains living together in a single network based on DAG. No more gates, bridges, portals or special nodes connecting blockchains into a single whole. Only one p2p network, consisting of blockchains of various types: from private for state and corporate networks to public for crypto projects.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 05:04:42 AM

The only way to "link" it to gold is have a major stabilized bitcoin/gold online exchange.

Exactly.  Decentralized currency with a centralized exchange?  Just call it a centralized currency at that point.  That's not a step in the wrong direction, it's a lunge over the cliff.

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2013, 05:08:14 AM

Just tell him to buy enough gold and bitcoin to hold the link for as long as he can keep holding the link...

It may get expensive though.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
teknomunk

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2013, 03:27:58 PM

Only if the exchange rate is wrong.  If he gets the exchange rate correct (difficult to do in a centralized manner) then I think it should not get expensive.  He would be able to sell one for dollars or other currency and then buy the other.  He may get a lot of volume.  But without actually creating such an exchange, there really is no way to know.

In a way, sites like coinabul are an over-the-counter gold/bitcoin exchange.  I don't think a gold/bitcoin exchange similar to Mt.Gox currently exists, but I think it would be a good idea to eventually have them in addition to the OTC variety exchanges.  Precious metals and bitcoin complement each other quite well, in that all are very difficult to counterfit.

Without destroying what it is that makes bitcoin work, exchanges between gold and bitcoin are the only way to link the two currencies.

The opposite of libertarian is authoritarian | Use PGP encryption: 0x48DD8AAB | Places Accepting Bitcoin on an OpenStreetMap
2_Thumbs_Up

Activity: 323
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 04:42:48 PM

Only if the exchange rate is wrong.  If he gets the exchange rate correct (difficult to do in a centralized manner) then I think it should not get expensive.  He would be able to sell one for dollars or other currency and then buy the other.  He may get a lot of volume.  But without actually creating such an exchange, there really is no way to know.

In a way, sites like coinabul are an over-the-counter gold/bitcoin exchange.  I don't think a gold/bitcoin exchange similar to Mt.Gox currently exists, but I think it would be a good idea to eventually have them in addition to the OTC variety exchanges.  Precious metals and bitcoin complement each other quite well, in that all are very difficult to counterfit.

Without destroying what it is that makes bitcoin work, exchanges between gold and bitcoin are the only way to link the two currencies.
The big problem though is that the "correct" exchange rate is not a constant, it varies.
teknomunk

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2013, 05:04:31 PM

The big problem though is that the "correct" exchange rate is not a constant, it varies.

Very true.  Because the rate varies constantly, it is difficult, if not impossible, to establish an exchange rate centrally.  Decentralized exchange rate determination via the free market is the only long term sustainable method for determining gold/bitcoin exchange rate.  And for any other exchange rate for that matter.  Sure, there are other methods to determine exchange rates, and goverment fiat is one of those, but they are not sustainable over the long term.

The opposite of libertarian is authoritarian | Use PGP encryption: 0x48DD8AAB | Places Accepting Bitcoin on an OpenStreetMap
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 06:22:45 PM

Then he can go and make goldcoin. C'mon, go ahead, make it. Guess what? Criticizing is much easier.

Oh and please explain me how do you link something to gold in a way that do not rely on trust. Bitcoin is a trust no one system. The only way you have to trust no one with gold is by physically holding the gold bullions

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: