Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:04:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New guy to Bitcoin/Crypto Currencies with some stupid questions  (Read 334 times)
AnCap101 (OP)

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 02, 2017, 11:55:22 PM

Hey Guys,

So I got into Bitcoin and other crypto currencies recently as I am an AnCap and know fiat currency is a bunch of ****

Unfortunately I have the computer skills of an 85 year old and am struggling hard!

I bought some bitcoin which is good and have set up my bitcoin wallet though blockchain.info

I have bitcoin there now and can understand that ok!

I want to invest in other currencies such as Ethereum and Factum. I have bought some of each but am struggling like a mad man on how to transfer them from where I bought them from to a wallet.

Apparently you cannot use the same wallet for different cryptos? Is that correct. Blockchain.info does not allow different currencies in their wallets? Is that correct? If I am wrong can I put all my cryptos in the same wallet then transfer them into a paper wallet in one go?

How do I transfer my other currencies from where I bought them from to different wallets? Blockchain was crazy easy but I have got an Omni wallet and now I am in all sorts of trouble! I have literally no idea.

Trying to understand Private keys and stuff is doing my head in!!

Sorry for being a complete moron when it comes to this stuff. I feel like I am learning a new language!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1009

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
February 03, 2017, 12:23:36 AM

Hey Guys,

So I got into Bitcoin and other crypto currencies recently as I am an AnCap and know fiat currency is a bunch of ****

Unfortunately I have the computer skills of an 85 year old and am struggling hard!

I bought some bitcoin which is good and have set up my bitcoin wallet though blockchain.info

I dont think you understand what Bitcoin is if you keep your coins in a centralized wallet, you are not a pure ancap.

Nothing against blockchain, but the best way to be real master of your property is to just hold the keys yourself, and not send it over the internet (like login into online platforms,etc)

I want to invest in other currencies such as Ethereum and Factum. I have bought some of each but am struggling like a mad man on how to transfer them from where I bought them from to a wallet.

For ethereum just use this simple open source wallet, that doesnt store private keys

https://www.myetherwallet.com

Factom is a shitty currency that doesnt have lightweight or web wallet.

Apparently you cannot use the same wallet for different cryptos? Is that correct. Blockchain.info does not allow different currencies in their wallets? Is that correct? If I am wrong can I put all my cryptos in the same wallet then transfer them into a paper wallet in one go?

Of course not, how do you even think of such things, a bitcoin wallet is only for bitcoin, but there are multicurrency wallets like Jax and others.

You can use a centralized exchange to hold multiple cryptocurrencies, but as told above not really recommended.

Best way is just to use lightweight PC wallet for each.

Electrum for BTC, Electrum-LTC for LTC, and so on...

How do I transfer my other currencies from where I bought them from to different wallets? Blockchain was crazy easy but I have got an Omni wallet and now I am in all sorts of trouble! I have literally no idea.

You need to convert them in an exchange. Just as you cant buy stuff in France with Japanese Yens, you cant send BTC over to the Ethereum blockchain, you need to trade it with somebody that does have the coins.

AnCap101 (OP)

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 03, 2017, 12:50:20 AM

Hey @Realbitcoin

Cheers for the reply. Like I said I am a complete beginner when it comes to crypto currencies.

All I know is fiat is worthless crap so gold silver and Crypto is the place to be.

I am trying to understand everything, I am getting there VERY slowly! haha.

Can somebody explain what exactly is a private key? I have read the wiki page and stuff and it does not really make sense to me Sad

Can somebody give it to me in plain easy to understand english in terms of how it works? How do I "hold the keys"

Cheers for the advice once again and I will use different wallets for each crypto  Smiley

RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1009

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
February 03, 2017, 01:14:07 AM

Hey @Realbitcoin

Cheers for the reply. Like I said I am a complete beginner when it comes to crypto currencies.

All I know is fiat is worthless crap so gold silver and Crypto is the place to be.

I am trying to understand everything, I am getting there VERY slowly! haha.

Can somebody explain what exactly is a private key? I have read the wiki page and stuff and it does not really make sense to me Sad

Can somebody give it to me in plain easy to understand english in terms of how it works? How do I "hold the keys"

Cheers for the advice once again and I will use different wallets for each crypto  Smiley

A bitcoin address holds the bitcoins.

The bitcoin address is uniquely derived from the private key.

The private key is like a secret digital key that anyone who know about, can move the bitcoins on that particular address.

So it's a secret. The only way to ensure that only you have control over your coins ,is by only you knowing about the private key.

A secret is only a secret if 1 person knows about it.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: