Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:41:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best (Single or Dual) GPU for Ether, XMR, etc., Mining - (Free Electricity)?!  (Read 2912 times)
lazypolarbears (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 16, 2017, 11:10:58 PM

Hi,

I have a bunch of dell.com credit and was considering building a ethereum or monero or other altcoin mining rig...

Ideally, I'd like to have a small form low cost computer (skimp on CPU, SSD/HDD, RAM, etc) but with the fastest GPU for hashing.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/graphic-video-cards/ar/7729?sortBy=price-descending

Power is NOT a factor, as I have free electricity...

So basically, I need a barebones system with one (1) or two maximum GPU's... I don't want one of those 6x R9 rigs.

How do I do this?

Would like to keep heat and noise at a minimum... no S9's!!!

Thanks in advance!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lazypolarbears (OP)

View Profile
January 16, 2017, 11:42:04 PM

I should clarify that I would be mining ANY altcoin... even ones that I've never heard of. As long as the GPU (AMD or Nvidia) off Dell has the best hash rate to convert to BTC...
nemesisDF

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 17, 2017, 12:06:49 AM

Nvidia GTX 1060-1080 depending on your price, for CUDA at least, some of the coins work very well with NVIDIA, but many with AMD as well, so I guess it depends on what you want to mine the most. I've never been an AMD miner so I can't speak for the cards even though many swear by them.

Personally I'd go with 2 1080s or 2 1070s and focus on coins that work well with the CUDA algorithm. Best miner for Nvidia/CUDA is Tpruvots CCMiner hands down. https://github.com/tpruvot/ccminer/releases

A simple ccminer bat file with --benchmark ie. "ccminer.exe --benchmark" should land you good insight on which algorithms get the best hash rate and with 2 1080's/1070s you can mine really any coin even if it's an alg that doesn't get the best hash ie. x11-x17 at damn good speeds.  Besides speed, the new Nvidia cards are very power friendly as well.

I have 2 980s in my rig and they work great, although thinking of upgrading. AMD could very well be better if you strictly wanted to mine Eth/XMR though..Not sure on the hash difference between the two brands.

Best of luck in your journeys,
Nem
lazypolarbears (OP)

View Profile
January 17, 2017, 12:22:58 AM

Nvidia GTX 1060-1080 depending on your price, for CUDA at least, some of the coins work very well with NVIDIA, but many with AMD as well, so I guess it depends on what you want to mine the most. I've never been an AMD miner so I can't speak for the cards even though many swear by them.

Personally I'd go with 2 1080s or 2 1070s and focus on coins that work well with the CUDA algorithm. Best miner for Nvidia/CUDA is Tpruvots CCMiner hands down. https://github.com/tpruvot/ccminer/releases

A simple ccminer bat file with --benchmark ie. "ccminer.exe --benchmark" should land you good insight on which algorithms get the best hash rate and with 2 1080's/1070s you can mine really any coin even if it's an alg that doesn't get the best hash ie. x11-x17 at damn good speeds.  Besides speed, the new Nvidia cards are very power friendly as well.

I have 2 980s in my rig and they work great, although thinking of upgrading. AMD could very well be better if you strictly wanted to mine Eth/XMR though..Not sure on the hash difference between the two brands.

Nem

Would 2x 1060's work better than 1x 1070 or 1x 1080? I'm looking at the dell site and I can get 2x 1060's for the price of 1x 1070...

And thanks for all the useful info! What are you mining with the 2x 980's? What would you recommend mining with my GPU's?

Lastly, where do I find the other components? Ideally if a Raspberry Pi would work, that'd be great since it's cheap and just for GPU mining?
eckmar
Legendary

Activity: 1878
Merit: 1038

Telegram: https://t.me/eckmar

View Profile
January 17, 2017, 05:18:32 AM

A simple ccminer bat file with --benchmark ie. "ccminer.exe --benchmark" should land you good insight on which algorithms get the best hash rate and with 2 1080's/1070s you can mine really any coin even if it's an alg that doesn't get the best hash ie. x11-x17 at damn good speeds.  Besides speed, the new Nvidia cards are very power friendly as well.

Nem

Would 2x 1060's work better than 1x 1070 or 1x 1080? I'm looking at the dell site and I can get 2x 1060's for the price of 1x 1070...

And thanks for all the useful info! What are you mining with the 2x 980's? What would you recommend mining with my GPU's?

Lastly, where do I find the other components? Ideally if a Raspberry Pi would work, that'd be great since it's cheap and just for GPU mining?

Don't listen to what he said. There are many more coins that work better with AMD (noticable difference is only ZCash now for nvidia) so go with them. 1080 is terrible card for mining 1060 can pass anyway, but you are looking for something like RX470. You said you have free electricity. If that is the case you can go for used R9 390s but then take into consideration for how long will you have that free electricity and what would be price after it's gone
lazypolarbears (OP)

View Profile
January 17, 2017, 05:50:43 AM

Nem

Don't listen to what he said. There are many more coins that work better with AMD (noticable difference is only ZCash now for nvidia) so go with them. 1080 is terrible card for mining 1060 can pass anyway, but you are looking for something like RX470. You said you have free electricity. If that is the case you can go for used R9 390s but then take into consideration for how long will you have that free electricity and what would be price after it's gone

Thanks for the advice - I am in college and am about to launch 10 R4's in 3 dorms (including mine)... was hashing S7's and then S9's (had to create a vent) and got sick of that. I will have free electricity for a while... 3 semesters to be exact. So about 1.5 years.

I have heard that everyone's using AMD. How would you recommend building a rig with the cheapest other components? Do these rigs produce a lot of heat/noise? If so I'm just going to ditch the idea and buy more hashflare contracts.

EDIT: Is the RX470 the absolute best AMD GPU? Can I go higher up the tier? I'm not going to build a 6-GPU rig like everyone else... more like a barebones PC with 1-2 GPU's at most. So I need those 1-2 GPU's to be FAST - and I don't care about electrical costs.

Also, really needs to be fireproof/safe. It is in a dorm.
eckmar
Legendary

Activity: 1878
Merit: 1038

Telegram: https://t.me/eckmar

View Profile
January 17, 2017, 09:19:49 PM

Nem

Thanks for the advice - I am in college and am about to launch 10 R4's in 3 dorms (including mine)... was hashing S7's and then S9's (had to create a vent) and got sick of that. I will have free electricity for a while... 3 semesters to be exact. So about 1.5 years.

I have heard that everyone's using AMD. How would you recommend building a rig with the cheapest other components? Do these rigs produce a lot of heat/noise? If so I'm just going to ditch the idea and buy more hashflare contracts.

EDIT: Is the RX470 the absolute best AMD GPU? Can I go higher up the tier? I'm not going to build a 6-GPU rig like everyone else... more like a barebones PC with 1-2 GPU's at most. So I need those 1-2 GPU's to be FAST - and I don't care about electrical costs.

Well for you got to choose what you want to achieve here. You say you want low noise and heat but high power. Choice here is between R9 390 (produce high noise and heat but lots of power) and RX 470 (low noise and heat but lower power). With free electricity I would recommend buying R9 390s (used) since they will ROI fastest in your conditions. But if heat and noise are taken into consideration then go for RX 470 (480 is more powerful but price difference does not justify the power gain)
lazypolarbears (OP)

View Profile
January 17, 2017, 09:27:17 PM

Nem

Well for you got to choose what you want to achieve here. You say you want low noise and heat but high power. Choice here is between R9 390 (produce high noise and heat but lots of power) and RX 470 (low noise and heat but lower power). With free electricity I would recommend buying R9 390s (used) since they will ROI fastest in your conditions. But if heat and noise are taken into consideration then go for RX 470 (480 is more powerful but price difference does not justify the power gain)

Thanks!

I decided to go with RX 480's after doing 8 hours of research overnight. 150W power consumption means that I can run 4 of them... now I'm just looking for a workstation or server or gaming PC that can support that... suggestions?

The Alienware Aurora supports 2, the Dell T7910 supports 4 but is more expensive and dead ugly...

Keep in mind that I do have electrical constraints - I will be running 3x R4's in my dorm, along with a lot of A/V gear...
PovertyByte

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 18, 2017, 01:54:53 PM

Heat and electricity go hand in hand, you can't have one without the other
lazypolarbears (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 02:01:25 AM

Ok I just got a Dell Aurora currently configured with 2x GTX 960's; I'm looking to buy the fastest variant of the RX 480 (2 of them in Crossfire).

Which variation of the RX480 should I get? The Nitro+? Which manufacturer/brand has the fastest chip?

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=RX+480

Thanks!
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 02:41:02 AM

I am pretty sure since he slept next to an Antminer S7 then the noise out of an R9 290/390 won't be much of an issue for him.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
lazypolarbears (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 08:38:20 AM

I am pretty sure since he slept next to an Antminer S7 then the noise out of an R9 290/390 won't be much of an issue for him.

LOL. I slept with 3x S9's under my bed.
lazypolarbears (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 08:39:44 AM

Ok I just got a Dell Aurora currently configured with 2x GTX 960's; I'm looking to buy the fastest variant of the RX 480 (2 of them in Crossfire).

Which variation of the RX480 should I get? The Nitro+? Which manufacturer/brand has the fastest chip?

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=RX+480

Thanks!

Any comments on this?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: