Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:34:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to teach people to download software wallets?  (Read 856 times)
NeuroticFish
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 6321

Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!

View Profile
November 04, 2016, 12:07:11 PM

As somebody else also stated, computers/laptops/cellphones are not so safe either.
If you know well the person(s) and they trust you, generate for them a paper wallet and ask them to transfer the coins there (maybe even keep yourself a copy for the case they lose theirs!!).

If you are the owner of an exchange and can afford 1 day of downtime... simulate a hack: show temporarily 0 funds to everybody and show a vague info that could be read as "exchange hacked".
Then next day, after you were on the news, you can tell "it was only a drill, don't panic, but please use your own wallets, for more safety".
It could be a good advertising after all  Grin

..JAMBLER.io..Create Your Bitcoin Mixing
Business Now for   F R E E 
▄█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████▀████████████████████
███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
██▀█████▄█▄██████████████
██▄▄████▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
███████▀▄█▀█▄██▀█▄███████
█████████▄█▀▄█▀▄█████████
▀█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
████████▀▀█████▀▀████████
█████▀█████████████▀█████
████████████████████████
███████████████▄█████████
███████████████▀█████████
████████████████████████
█████▄█████████████▄█████
████████▄▄█████▄▄████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
xIIImaL
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 04, 2016, 12:09:35 PM

I encounter this also several times. The problem is they did not know what to do,seriously. We as an IT people,its easy for us, but tho those who are not computer literate,they do not have no idea what to do.Even if you give them instructions,they ca not follow, the best is mentoring with them step by step. Also, if they are interested and determine to learn bitcoin, whatever it takes they will study and do some self study.

Whatever IT or finance work, When you start any work first of all we need assistance. Its a same kind of that thing buddy. Just we need assist person to make him well and good about bitcoin and all its features. Have online wallet or any app is must to be part of bitcoin. when its come to transaction. So explain it to needed people.
jacktheking
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1001

Personal Text Space Not For Sale

View Profile
November 04, 2016, 12:35:48 PM

Not going into details on how to teach people to use Bitcoin wallet instead of a exchange wallet. I am just here to share my experience on how I download my first Bitcoin wallet.

When I first started out with Bitcoin, the first site I visit is https://bitcoin.org and I spend my time reading the articles on how to get started with Bitcoin. Then I download MultiBit and start using Bitcoin. I believe that by pointing them to Bitcoin.org, should be enough. If they do not want to spend that 10 or 15 minutes to read a few articles to make themselves more secure, it is up to them when their Bitcoin lost.

So sad! This profile does not appear as the #1 result (on anonymous) Google searches anymore.

Time to be active on the crypto forums again? Proud to be one of the few Legendary members of the Sparkie Red Dot!

Gonna put this on my resume if I ever join a cryptocurrency/blockchain industry!
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1012

View Profile
November 04, 2016, 04:50:27 PM

As somebody else also stated, computers/laptops/cellphones are not so safe either.
If you know well the person(s) and they trust you, generate for them a paper wallet and ask them to transfer the coins there (maybe even keep yourself a copy for the case they lose theirs!!).

If you are the owner of an exchange and can afford 1 day of downtime... simulate a hack: show temporarily 0 funds to everybody and show a vague info that could be read as "exchange hacked".
Then next day, after you were on the news, you can tell "it was only a drill, don't panic, but please use your own wallets, for more safety".

Sure, your computer may not be safe, but you can take responsibility of your own computer. You have options, you have control over it. Now, what control you have over it if you give your private keys to some website? it's just not the same.

If you have an electrum wallet, or a core wallet, you can save several backups, it's impossible that you end up with an empty pocket.
requester

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 04, 2016, 05:02:47 PM

to use wallet software first user should know what is private key and what is public key. first user should have both the keys to access his bitcoin account. so public key is known to all and let's find the private key from blockchain. after having this 2 key user could  access his bitcoin address in any wallet software
btccashacc
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 04, 2016, 05:07:02 PM

I just recommend them to used wallet based on their needs, like what i did in past when i started out with bitcoin for the first time, i always tell them to google about what is bitcoin and how it works then visit https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet in order to select which wallet is best and suitable for them.
However the best place for storing their bitcoin are  wallets where they controll they own private key, that's why i suggest them to use those wallets.
calkob

Activity: 1078
Merit: 520

View Profile
November 05, 2016, 12:39:25 AM

It really depends on the amount of harddrive space and internet bandwidth they have, if they have lots of both then bitcoin core is a no brainer and if not then something like electrum is def the 1 to go for.  Grin
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
November 05, 2016, 12:47:28 AM

I keep seeing people that want to get started in bitcoin, asking "how do I buy bitcoins?" then they buy them, usually from Coinbase, or any other big sites like those, and they keep the coins there. It's like they don't make the effort to learn the fact that having coins outside of your local software wallet is very stupid. All those people are prone to suffer losses as websites come and go, and don't get me started on the people that keep their coins on all those shady exchanges.

How to avoid seeing this phenomena? it's like no matter how this is repeated, they never listen.

This is actually quite a difficult subject of how to teach pepole how to download wallets if they're not tech-savvy.
The first thing is that you should buy anything before you have done research on it to ensure that it is a stable investment.
Also, not many people know how the blockchain and bitcoin core work and communicate with even the fundamentals. What I'd suggest they do is use a mobile wallet (as it's the easiest to set up) or use a wallet like electrum, (but electrum still technically have a copy of the private keys and addresses).

NeuroticFish
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 6321

Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!

View Profile
November 07, 2016, 09:58:14 AM

Sure, your computer may not be safe, but you can take responsibility of your own computer. You have options, you have control over it. Now, what control you have over it if you give your private keys to some website? it's just not the same.

If you have an electrum wallet, or a core wallet, you can save several backups, it's impossible that you end up with an empty pocket.

I do have my computer protected and I do have backups. I do use local wallet. It's the obvious choice and many do that. But many don't.
I was surprised of how many people don't actually know nor care if they have viruses. Most of those even have antivirus installed (usually disabled or badly outdated).
You just cannot ask everybody think and do as you do. All you can do is to offer them alternatives. If you do that, people (and OP) will chose the alternative they think it suits them best.

..JAMBLER.io..Create Your Bitcoin Mixing
Business Now for   F R E E 
████▀████████████████████
███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
██▀█████▄█▄██████████████
██▄▄████▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
███████▀▄█▀█▄██▀█▄███████
█████████▄█▀▄█▀▄█████████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
████████▀▀█████▀▀████████
█████▀█████████████▀█████
████████████████████████
███████████████▄█████████
███████████████▀█████████
████████████████████████
█████▄█████████████▄█████
████████▄▄█████▄▄████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
staff_1307

Activity: 232
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 05, 2016, 09:00:25 PM

All this can be explained by the fact that they are just getting started in Bitcoin.
savioroshan

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 18, 2017, 09:41:37 PM

Yeah you are right. Exchangers wallet is not safe to store bitcoin. The only  way to keep bitcoin safe is desktop wallet. Newbies who are new to bitcoin they won't be having much knowledge about bitcoin. So it's our duty to educate them. I don't mean that we should go and tell everybody in this world about this. But you can do one thing. Dears and nears who are very new to bitcoin, we can give them our advice or teach them regarding bitcoin and it's different wallets. If anybody has got a good website regarding digital currencies, he can make a post about downloading, using and advantages of desktop wallets. If anyone is very active in bitcoin related forums, there they can guide newbies about using desktop wallets. Some won't listen these advices. They will learn by themselves from their experience. We cannot do anything for them.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: