Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:07:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New BitCoin Project?  (Read 1486 times)
kuloch (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 10:23:56 AM

I am a recent recipient of a Bachelor's in Computer Science, and I'm looking to either join up with a new(ish) project in development or start my own, depending on what's out there.  As most employers want to see previous work, I'd like to have something that I can reference.

Are there any current projects that are recruiting developers?  Is this the right place to ask about this?

Alternatively, are there any community needs not currently filled by an existing project?  I'm up for finding a niche service, doing my research, setting up a basic alpha build, and possibly recruiting anyone else interested in helping.

My coding experience is mostly with Java, PHP, Javascript/jQuery/HTML/CSS, some C/C++ and bash scripting, and a little Python.  And I'm likely game for learning a new language or platform, if needed.

YinCoin YangCoin ☯☯First Ever POS/POW Alternator! Multipool! ☯ ☯ http://yinyangpool.com/ 
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=623937
Bwincoin - 100% Free POS. BCc7XkRRbzy7cJkg4QTrA7JzseTAHgmc2A

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
koin
Legendary

Activity: 873
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 11:43:13 AM

are there any community needs not currently filled by an existing project?

there are at least two areas that need work

1.) bitcoin data reporting in aggregate
this would be things like reporting transaction data including per-day summaries and charts
like this, only real-time http://bitcoinreport.blogspot.com/2011/05/updated-transactions-per-day.html
include a plot with the value of the rate from the exchange for the day as well, so it is not just a chart of bitcoins themselves.

the same need exists for charting bitcoindays destroyed.  there is the need for a real-time report with charts: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=9300.0

2.) integrate bitcoin with open transactions
bitcoin was not meant to provide instant confirmation.  For use at the point of sale that is a requirement though.

there is talk of ways that bitcoin could still accommodate this, for lower valued transactions.  if that can be done, then it would likely help the retail merchants who currently are unserved by bitcoin.  if that approach turns out to not be viable, then perhaps the integration of bitcoin with open transactions is another way
kuloch (OP)

Activity: 70

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 05:59:03 PM

So... data mining to make pretty lines, or a back-end plugin for an existing project.

Hmm.  I suppose I could do the first to whet my teeth on the BitCoin protocols, then start diving into Open Transaction's API and hope that they might take enough interest to include it.

Any other ideas?

YinCoin YangCoin ☯☯First Ever POS/POW Alternator! Multipool! ☯ ☯ http://yinyangpool.com/ 
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=623937
Bwincoin - 100% Free POS. BCc7XkRRbzy7cJkg4QTrA7JzseTAHgmc2A
forests

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 06:30:54 PM

I'm working on a new Windows & OS X miner.  The goal is to provide a user friendly miner for people new to bitcoin, that can be installed and run on either platform without a problem. I'd appreciate some help, it's not an easy project.
passerby

Activity: 112

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 07:28:54 PM

are there any community needs not currently filled by an existing project?

there are at least two areas that need work

1.) bitcoin data reporting in aggregate
this would be things like reporting transaction data including per-day summaries and charts
like this, only real-time http://bitcoinreport.blogspot.com/2011/05/updated-transactions-per-day.html
include a plot with the value of the rate from the exchange for the day as well, so it is not just a chart of bitcoins themselves.

the same need exists for charting bitcoindays destroyed.  there is the need for a real-time report with charts: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=9300.0

2.) integrate bitcoin with open transactions
bitcoin was not meant to provide instant confirmation.  For use at the point of sale that is a requirement though.

there is talk of ways that bitcoin could still accommodate this, for lower valued transactions.  if that can be done, then it would likely help the retail merchants who currently are unserved by bitcoin.  if that approach turns out to not be viable, then perhaps the integration of bitcoin with open transactions is another way

Hey, BTW, integration of bitcoin with OT is exactly what we intend to do.

So I guess if someone is willing to participate in that particular type of project, we would best coordinate efforts Cheesy

Now, as for what bitcoin per se needs, imho...
methinks that it would be quite handy (and relatively easy) to add some fine-tuning options to the classical client, connection options, that kind of thing, for those who fail at command line (I run into a lot of people who read bitcoin doc and then ask me do command line stuff for them...) and make it more portable, perhaps make an Official Portable App release (see, current default windows install makes it cumbersome to back up...And bitcoin can be made portable fairly easy)

BTW, it works with portable apps wrapper out of the box with only a few minor glitches...
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2011, 07:50:46 PM

Jesus Christ, where do I start?

How about a client for Android honeycomb? Chrome? Other smartphone/tablet/netbook/whatever platforms?

how about an app that lets blutooth-enabled devices detect the presence of other nearby bitcoin users?
(could work off of wifi also).

trading software

easier backup/encryption

Point of sale app with built-in currency exchange rate converter

aggregators

automated address validation

wallet with integrated messaging

for starters

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc
passerby

Activity: 112

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 11:04:27 PM

I'd say encryption is overrated. Any hax0r worth his salt will just code the malware to snatch the relevant crypto keys from memory when they are available.

Open Source smartcards/HSMs are the only way around that, but their widespread adoption by the bitcoiner masses is a remote   possibility, rendering their support in bitcoin ultimately low priority (unless we can kindly introduce some ready HSM support code which happens to be under a sufficiently friendly license  Smiley)

A decent backup mechanism would be a far more welcome innovation than ultimately ineffectual "HSM-less" encryption.
film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2011, 11:10:48 PM

I'm working on a new Windows & OS X miner.  The goal is to provide a user friendly miner for people new to bitcoin, that can be installed and run on either platform without a problem. I'd appreciate some help, it's not an easy project.

I may b able to help with GUI design ideas if needed.just PM me or make a request here for my ideas then.

So far:
I think a tabbed approach culd be beneficial as both platforms can display this without issue instead of goig to preferences on hte mac or settings on PC.Perhaps we should try to maintain familiarity in the GUI part on both systems that way setup and walkthroughs would be much easier and quicker to setup.

If I think of ny more I'll tell ya.

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: