Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 06:14:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spending money in cold storage  (Read 957 times)
halfawake (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 03:19:05 AM

I'm just trying to see if I understand the idea of cold storage properly.  I get the idea is that you have a wallet on a computer that's never connected to the internet so you don't have to worry about viruses / hackers stealing bitcoins.  But, ultimately, you may want to spend those bitcoins eventually, so sooner or later it'll have to connect to the internet to do that. 

What's the idea behind this?  Is it basically using a "sneaker net" method where you send a signed transaction, carry it over on a flash drive, and receive it on an internet-connected computer?  That's my understanding of how it works, but I'm not sure if I'm correct about that.

BTC: 13kJEpqhkW5MnQhWLvum7N5v8LbTAhzeWj
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 03:29:34 AM

I'm just trying to see if I understand the idea of cold storage properly.  I get the idea is that you have a wallet on a computer that's never connected to the internet so you don't have to worry about viruses / hackers stealing bitcoins.  But, ultimately, you may want to spend those bitcoins eventually, so sooner or later it'll have to connect to the internet to do that. 

What's the idea behind this?  Is it basically using a "sneaker net" method where you send a signed transaction, carry it over on a flash drive, and receive it on an internet-connected computer?  That's my understanding of how it works, but I'm not sure if I'm correct about that.

Yes. That's how it works. Done it myself.

This is nice documentation:
https://bitcoinarmory.com/using-offline-wallets-in-armory/

halfawake (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 05:15:20 AM

Yes. That's how it works. Done it myself.

This is nice documentation:
https://bitcoinarmory.com/using-offline-wallets-in-armory/

Thanks for clarifying.  I've read the documentation, I just don't have a second computer to test it out with, so I just wanted to make sure I understood how it works properly.

BTC: 13kJEpqhkW5MnQhWLvum7N5v8LbTAhzeWj
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: