Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:10:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about cold storages  (Read 349 times)
crwth (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 1250

Try Gunbot for a month go to -> https://gunbot.ph

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2017, 08:06:06 PM

Hello Electrum experts,

I have a question concerning cold storages. Right now, I have a cold storage (In my laptop that's never been connected), and I'm planning to transfer my funds there to another cold storage (another laptop, much older but still able) So I'm planning to move it and thought about, what if I transfer the software itself or something so I wouldn't create another wallet and other addresses. Can it be done? Or just create another cold storage then transfer it. I'm wondering if it's possible. What do you guys prefer?

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
longbob72

Activity: 574
Merit: 503

V2h5IGFyZSB5b3UgcmVhZGluZyB0aGlzPw==

View Profile
January 19, 2017, 08:21:32 PM

Hello Electrum experts,

I have a question concerning cold storages. Right now, I have a cold storage (In my laptop that's never been connected), and I'm planning to transfer my funds there to another cold storage (another laptop, much older but still able) So I'm planning to move it and thought about, what if I transfer the software itself or something so I wouldn't create another wallet and other addresses. Can it be done? Or just create another cold storage then transfer it. I'm wondering if it's possible. What do you guys prefer?

If it's a wallet with seed then just restore from seed. If not then just copy the wallet file. Both will enable you to use your old wallet instead of creating a new one.

▄▄███████▄▄                           ▄      ▄
   ██████████████▄                       ███    ███
  ███▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀████                     ███    ███
  █████████████▄ ▀███                    ███    ███   █▄ ▄▄
   ▀████▄  ▄▄███  ▀███                   ███    ███  ▄████
   ▄███████████   ▄███                  ███    ███  ▀▀███▀▀
   ███           ▄███         ▄▄▄▄      ███    ███     █    ▄▄  ▄▄▄▄
  ▄███     ▄▄▄▄█████        ▄█████▄    ▄██▀   ▄██▀    ███   █████████
  ███▄    ████████         ▄███▀▀███   ███    ███    ███▀   █████▀████
   ███     ▀▀█████▄      ▄█████▄ ███   ███    ███    ███    ████   ███
   ███         ▀███▄     ███▀███ ███  ███▀   ███▀    ███    ███▀   ███
   ███           ███▄    ███  ▀▀ ███  ███    ███    ███▀   ▄███    ███
   ▀██▄           ███    ███▄  ▄███   ███    ███    ███    ███    ███▀
    ███           ▀███▄   ████████    ███    ███    ███    ███    ███
    ▀██            ▀████   ▀████▀      ██     ██    ▀██    ▀█▀    ▀█▀

▄▄▀                ▀▄▄
     ▄ ▀▀                    ▀▀ ▄
   ▄ ▀▀▀                      ▀▀▀ ▄
  ▄▀▀▀                          ▀▀▀▄
 ▀█▄▄                            ▄▄█▀
▄█  ▄                            ▄  █▄
▀█ █▀                            ▀█ █▀
█▄  ▄                            ▄  ▄█
▀█ █                              █ █▀
█▄   █                          █   ▄█
 ██▄█▀                          ▀█▄██
  ▀▀  ▄█                      █▄  ▀▀
  ▀██▄ ▀  █▄              ▄█  ▀ ▄██▀
    ▀▀▀   ██  █▄      ▄█  ██   ▀▀▀
     ▀███▄▄▀  ███    ███  ▀▄▄███▀
        ▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▀    ▀▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀
          ▀▀█████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀
Free Bitcoins
Chat Lottery & Games
Level Up System with Rewards
▄████████▄  ▄████████▄
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
 ████████    ████████
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
▀████████▀  ▀████████▀
kolloh
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1023

View Profile
January 19, 2017, 08:48:56 PM

Yep, there is really no need to transfer the funds to a new wallet. You can easily restore from the seed as previously mentioned or you can copy over your Electrum data folder and start using it on the new laptop without issues.

On Windows, you can copy over
Code:
Users/YourUserName/AppData/Roaming/Electrum
and for Mac/Linux it will be in
Code:
~/.electrum
Coin-Keeper

Activity: 758
Merit: 606

View Profile
January 19, 2017, 09:04:28 PM

Couple of things.  As you read above there are at least those two ways to accomplish the task.  My preference would be to create a new wallet using the original wallet's SEED.  Its a way to be 100% positive that your seed is accurate.  All the addresses will exactly match the original if the SEED is correct.  You can also backup the original wallet file and save that on the new Desktop as a "double" backup if you wanted to.  Wallet files are very small.  A concern for me, which I wanted to remind you of.  What are your plans for the computer that was formerly hosting your Electrum cold wallet?  When Thomas designed the cold wallet feature of Electrum the primary strength came from the fact the machine would never see online anything.  If you are going to use that machine in any way, especially online, than consider doing a forensic clean of the disk area in question (if not the entire disk) so there is NO chance those SEED remnants will ever escape into the internet "wild"!!  This is the sole purpose of the COLD WALLET design --- its cold!!

BTC: 1PYSBbuKM3kW19xe9TXJQfq64rPhd8XorF
Staked and Verified: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=996318.msg17102755#msg17102755
kolloh
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 02:33:23 AM

Couple of things.  As you read above there are at least those two ways to accomplish the task.  My preference would be to create a new wallet using the original wallet's SEED.  Its a way to be 100% positive that your seed is accurate.  All the addresses will exactly match the original if the SEED is correct.  You can also backup the original wallet file and save that on the new Desktop as a "double" backup if you wanted to.  Wallet files are very small.  A concern for me, which I wanted to remind you of.  What are your plans for the computer that was formerly hosting your Electrum cold wallet?  When Thomas designed the cold wallet feature of Electrum the primary strength came from the fact the machine would never see online anything.  If you are going to use that machine in any way, especially online, than consider doing a forensic clean of the disk area in question (if not the entire disk) so there is NO chance those SEED remnants will ever escape into the internet "wild"!!  This is the sole purpose of the COLD WALLET design --- its cold!!

True, that is good advice. I suppose that could also be one argument for creating a NEW cold wallet on the new PC rather than just importing the old one. You wouldn't have to worry as much about what you do with the old PC and its seed after migrating the funds to the new one.
crwth (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2017, 03:02:57 AM

Hello Electrum experts,

If it's a wallet with seed then just restore from seed. If not then just copy the wallet file. Both will enable you to use your old wallet instead of creating a new one.

Okay then, it will match the addresses even if I didn't connect it to the internet? That's cool. I just need to install the electrum software there in order to do that, of course. Thanks longbob

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
crwth (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2017, 03:05:28 AM

Okay then, thank you for your suggestion. I would use my old laptop for the internet because I have a laptop that is slower, so it's preferred to be my cold storage. I'm thinking of reformatting my old laptop so there would be no remnants left. So I think it would be safe.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
crwth (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2017, 10:08:49 AM

Thank you,  everyone, who posted here to help me. I appreciate it. Fortunately, I was able to restore it with my seed, and I thought it was going to generate different addresses (Well, I didn't know that it came from that, but still, it's awesome. As for my old cold storage, I'm resetting everything and right now, I'm cleaning the drive. Planning to use it again for online purposes. Thanks again to those who posted, this thread could be closed.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
kolloh
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 03:59:58 PM

Thank you,  everyone, who posted here to help me. I appreciate it. Fortunately, I was able to restore it with my seed, and I thought it was going to generate different addresses (Well, I didn't know that it came from that, but still, it's awesome. As for my old cold storage, I'm resetting everything and right now, I'm cleaning the drive. Planning to use it again for online purposes. Thanks again to those who posted, this thread could be closed.

Great! Glad to hear it. You should be able to close the thread yourself by the way. Check the lower left of the thread for a lock topic button.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: