Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 07:12:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you create an altcoin?  (Read 21825 times)
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2013, 07:40:23 PM

Have you looked at multicoin?

It moves most of the things that are different between different coins all into the config file so you can use the same program to run different chains by changing the config file.

By backtracking from the config stuff you can find what things needed to be changed from one coin to another.

Also I think he had code to print into the log the data you need to plug back into the config file to make a new genesis block work.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 08:31:47 PM

How about a tweakable coin generator? Even if there is a fee to to discourage mass spam of alt coins.

That's what I want to get out of this.

The whole reason I'm participating is because it will promote competitiveness among alt coins. It's really fun getting a better understanding of bitcoin too Smiley
To compete, you need to actually compete. Mere generators cannot compete.

wmikrut

Activity: 631
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2013, 08:59:34 PM

I expected at least one alt-coin developer to see this thread and respond, but I am feeling now that they won't do it purely so a new alt-coin does not replace theirs, even if we are newbs here.

Maybe someone would pop up helping out if you guys were eager to learn about cryptography and programming, instead of script-kidding an existing source into creating a new blockchain.

Nobody said they wanted to release a 'real' coin.
This was all an exercise to see how the process works.

There's my point..  Huh

I'm not saying you should release a real coin. I'm saying that while you might think you are learning 'how the process works' you are instead 'dialing the knobs' of an existing program. Examine the source, examine the bitcoin wiki and try to program your own client. Has more educational value.  Grin

Point taken... I thought I could lend a hand to existing people -- but in doing so realize there is so much more to understand.
Anything that is used to create itself -- captures my interest in a big way.

I will NEVER ask for any kind of funds up front in a buy/sale of anything on bitcointalk.

BM-2cTFihJKmSwusMAoYuUHPvpx56Jozv64KK
Geddi

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

It's the muffins that must be stopped.

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 09:06:53 PM

I expected at least one alt-coin developer to see this thread and respond, but I am feeling now that they won't do it purely so a new alt-coin does not replace theirs, even if we are newbs here.

Maybe someone would pop up helping out if you guys were eager to learn about cryptography and programming, instead of script-kidding an existing source into creating a new blockchain.

Nobody said they wanted to release a 'real' coin.
This was all an exercise to see how the process works.

There's my point..  Huh

I'm not saying you should release a real coin. I'm saying that while you might think you are learning 'how the process works' you are instead 'dialing the knobs' of an existing program. Examine the source, examine the bitcoin wiki and try to program your own client. Has more educational value.  Grin

Point taken... I thought I could lend a hand to existing people -- but in doing so realize there is so much more to understand.
Anything that is used to create itself -- captures my interest in a big way.

The more one learns the more one understands there is so much more to understand.  Cool

A_Free_Man

Activity: 146
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 05:08:22 AM

Why do you all rely on the bitcoin source? Why not make your own.
Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

What's a GPU?

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 06:31:09 AM
Last edit: April 16, 2013, 06:49:25 AM by Garr255

I figured it out tonight!!!!!

Mining away on my own alt chain... Cheesy

I'll be posting a guide soon. Now every(computer-literate)one can have their own bitcoin Smiley

How about a tweakable coin generator? Even if there is a fee to to discourage mass spam of alt coins.

The whole reason I'm participating is because it will promote competitiveness among alt coins. It's really fun getting a better understanding of bitcoin too Smiley

That's my point exactly. Now just a mere tweaking of the bitcoin code will not justify an alt-coin's existence.

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
dan99

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 06:51:30 AM

Lets go with scrypt sence its easier on CPUs than sha-256

IMO it is a better choice.

What about Difficulty re-target and block rate?

Hey,

You mean to say if I want to create a coin you can help me out? I can used any coin names right?
would it be more like litecoin or bitcoin.

Kindly please let me know. Thanks

Dan : )
steelhouse

Activity: 717
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 06:55:00 AM

I'll be posting a guide soon. Now every(computer-literate)one can have their own bitcoin Smiley

Hope so.  Also wonder what is going to happen to bitcoin when people realize a 16-17 year old just figured out how to tweak the source to make a coin after only one day.  So much for bitcoin limited to 21 million (considering alt coins compete with bitcoin users and vendors).   But it was going to happen sooner or later.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2013, 07:12:03 AM

It already happened, there are several chains right now that can easily be mined with CPUs, there is no need to create a whole new coin to get the easy low difficulty that early adopters enjoyed, there are lots of chains that have are still in that early adopter stage just waiting for adopters.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Garr255
Legendary

What's a GPU?

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 07:17:27 AM

Hope so.  Also wonder what is going to happen to bitcoin when people realize a 16-17 year old just figured out how to tweak the source to make a coin after only one day.  So much for bitcoin limited to 21 million (considering alt coins compete with bitcoin users and vendors).   But it was going to happen sooner or later.

Yeah I'm almost 18 now... (will be in August). When you do stuff as an adult it's just not as cool Tongue

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
Garr255
Legendary

What's a GPU?

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 07:19:49 AM

Also, I've decided that before I post a guide, I'm going to figure out how to compile QT and for windows, and change the "bitcoin" text throughout the clients to "whatevercoin". Same with the data directory etc.

If I'm going to do this, I'll do it right Smiley

Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 07:26:15 AM

Also, I've decided that before I post a guide, I'm going to figure out how to compile QT and for windows, and change the "bitcoin" text throughout the clients to "whatevercoin". Same with the data directory etc.

If I'm going to do this, I'll do it right Smiley

GarrCoin. Already seen it.

Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2013, 06:43:03 PM

You are the man, Garr.

That's my point exactly. Now just a mere tweaking of the bitcoin code will not justify an alt-coin's existence.

Wise.

Walter Rothbard

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2013, 06:44:48 PM

Why do you all rely on the bitcoin source? Why not make your own.

Reimplementation is another great project that would teach someone a lot and probably also be of some potential value to the community.

For fun, I'd like to see an incompatible protocol blockchain with arbitrary precision values.  Making the currency unit truly infinitely divisible. Smiley

Walter Rothbard

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2013, 06:46:43 PM

People can create an unlimited number of blockchains, and coins across blockchains.

But transactions on The Bitcoin Blockchain can not be unlimited, and coins on that Blockchain are not unlimited.

As you can see, coins on other blockchains are in no way equal in value to coins on The Bitcoin Blockchain.  1.0 Bytecoin is not worth 1.0 Bitcoin at all; thus, Bytecoin did not double the number of Bitcoins in existence.

Walter Rothbard

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2013, 06:48:47 PM

Yeah I'm almost 18 now... (will be in August). When you do stuff as an adult it's just not as cool Tongue

Adults typically don't have time to do as many cool things!  You, my friend, have an amazing leg up.

ZephramC

Activity: 475
Merit: 254

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 11:00:02 PM

Amazing effort. I think that rise and/or fall of the bitcoin (and any alternative coins) will not be so much due to external influences, but due to the processes (and personal relationships, personal opinions, and personal interests) within the bitcoin community.
pixel (OP)

x1 7970 | Aprox. 587 kh/s

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 02:19:39 AM

Horray! Iv'e been waiting for a guide! Thanks a ton!

Currently Mining: Litecoin, Xencoin, and Worldcoin (Just because its fun!, don't yell at me ;_;)
Geddi

It's the muffins that must be stopped.

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 10:22:38 AM

Just wait a couple of years... if before 18 you got your stuff together allright, then as 'an adult' you can do whatever cool stuf you want.. and then some!  Grin

But on the other hand, not everybody has to live my life. Cool
BlueWall

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 05:10:00 PM

Have you looked at multicoin?

It moves most of the things that are different between different coins all into the config file so you can use the same program to run different chains by changing the config file.

By backtracking from the config stuff you can find what things needed to be changed from one coin to another.

Also I think he had code to print into the log the data you need to plug back into the config file to make a new genesis block work.

-MarkM-

Thanks,

The code needed a little updating to get it to build but it's running here now. Nice tool for exploring.

-BlueWall
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: