Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:53:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] CoinMap 2.0! (Map showing places where Bitcoin is accepted)  (Read 108041 times)
stick (OP)

Activity: 441
Merit: 266

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 05:25:58 PM

As I wrote, I don't like your choice at all.

Unfortunately I think I'll search for an alternative.
The same here Sad

Fact #1: During its 2 years of existence coinmap got only 1.9 BTC in donations ($435 at the moment). That hardly covered server running costs.

Fact #2: OSM data team started to hold me personally responsible for low quality bitcoin venues that started to appear in OSM. Some quotations from email discussions:

• "Please bear your responsibility in mind or people _will_ add incorrect data, and I will have no hesitation in setting up a bot to delete it instantly."
  • "I would strongly recommend that you create your own database for businesses."

These were the two reasons led to the changes you see now ...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stemby
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1008

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 05:33:45 PM

• "Please bear your responsibility in mind or people _will_ add incorrect data, and I will have no hesitation in setting up a bot to delete it instantly."
  • "I would strongly recommend that you create your own database for businesses."
When did they write that?

In any case:
Another problem: I think you are violating the license.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright

Where is the attribution for OSM data?

“…virtual currencies, could have a substitution effect on central bank money if they become widely accepted.”
ECB Report, October 2012
stick (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 05:38:59 PM

When did they write that?

This were the quotes from december 2013 by Richard Fairhurst. I also had several other discussions with the OSM data team, but I cannot find them at the moment.

Where is the attribution for OSM data?

At the bottom of https://coinmap.org/welcome/ (default page when you visit coinmap for the first time)

minimalB
Donator

Activity: 674
Merit: 522

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 08:36:37 AM

Objects are no longer stored in OpenStreetMap. I had quite a long discussion with OSM folks some time ago and they were not very happy about the low quality (missing addresses, etc). of Bitcoin-related OSM nodes. So I decided to do just one-way sync (from OSM to coinmap).
I think this is a big mistake. Low quality of Bitcoin-related OSM nodes should be removed by users directly within coinmap and that should also reflect OSM data.

One-way sync doesn't make any sense to me... the only centralized database should be OSM database. For example: what if someone wants to create android version for bitcoin places and most new nodes are added within coinmap? How is this going to auto-sync?
stick (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 09:31:40 AM

I think this is a big mistake. Low quality of Bitcoin-related OSM nodes should be removed by users directly within coinmap and that should also reflect OSM data.

It is, but not from my side. Coinmap users neglected to do proper checking and cleanup of the venues and OSM people were quite unhappy about it and stated it was my responsibility to keep the data clean. This was not possible, because of the lack of time and almost no donations to hire people to do that.

For example: what if someone wants to create android version for bitcoin places and most new nodes are added within coinmap? How is this going to auto-sync?

There is an api for that https://coinmap.org/api/, so apps can use that.

giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2015, 07:46:30 PM

You are locking down the data and I will not contribute locations to that.

OSM has to acknowledge that coinmap also brings in new editors and I edited a lot more than just the 5 locations I added/removed. You could have opted for openness and instead you whine about lack of donations. Your choice but mine would have been to offer the OSM editing as a service.

Also I can only encourage all people to stay clear from coinmap's api unless the data is released under a permissive license that allows redistribution. Else you are at the mercy of coinmap charging for it tomorrow.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
domob
Legendary

Activity: 1135
Merit: 1161

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2015, 06:47:49 PM

You are locking down the data and I will not contribute locations to that.

OSM has to acknowledge that coinmap also brings in new editors and I edited a lot more than just the 5 locations I added/removed. You could have opted for openness and instead you whine about lack of donations. Your choice but mine would have been to offer the OSM editing as a service.

Also I can only encourage all people to stay clear from coinmap's api unless the data is released under a permissive license that allows redistribution. Else you are at the mercy of coinmap charging for it tomorrow.

I fully agree here, perfectly formulated.  But of course it is your choice, and I'm glad you spent all the time you did working on coinmap.  It is (and was) a very useful service, indeed!  In the future, I'll use OsmAnd's list of Bitcoin places instead.

Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/
Donations: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS | GPG 0xA7330737
stick (OP)

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 10:07:10 AM

Coinmap Timeline:

https://medium.com/@satoshilabs/coinmap-timeline-643f3f52d0ad

video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fogvV8-hGdc

Stemby
Legendary

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 12:31:59 PM

With CoinMap 2 do you take new nodes added in OSM?

Thanks!

“…virtual currencies, could have a substitution effect on central bank money if they become widely accepted.”
ECB Report, October 2012
stick (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 04:41:54 PM

No, because of the discussions with OSM data team I described earlier.

Stemby
Legendary

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 05:09:34 PM
Last edit: July 04, 2015, 05:29:29 PM by Stemby

That's worse than I thought. You're following the "embrace, extend and extinguish" strategy, IMHO.

ECB Report, October 2012
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 05:18:13 PM

That's worse than I thought. You're following the the "embrace, extend and extinguish" strategy, IMHO.

Stemby, you seem very motivated by this issue. Could you not provide an offer to do the work that OSM was insisting that Satoshi Labs was responsible for? Someone acceding to OSM's proclivities would really improve the quality of the data, and in turn the coinmap/OSM services.

Vires in numeris
Stemby
Legendary

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 05:55:51 PM

Could you not provide an offer to do the work that OSM was insisting that Satoshi Labs was responsible for?
Actually I was doing this work. I fixed tons of mistakes.

For me, CoinMap doesn't exist anymore.

ECB Report, October 2012
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 06:40:26 PM

Could you not provide an offer to do the work that OSM was insisting that Satoshi Labs was responsible for?

Yes, I remember how much help you provided to everyone who asked questions in this thread, so it doesn't surprise me that you were trying to improve the data also.

I was similarly unimpressed with Armory when their retained legal counsel expressed a desire to use their free software license in order to create revenue. I carried on helping Armory, and will continue to do so until someone comes up with wallet software that rivals Armory's capabilities.

It seems a terrible waste to give up over something only as important as the licensing, some compromises are worth more than the alternative IMO. I guess it's up to everyone individually how you judge that trade-off; I don't want to tell you what you should do. I just wish we could all cooperate more, there's a lot of division in bitcoin recently, and it's not a healthy trend.

Vires in numeris
giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2015, 02:48:18 AM

Yes, this. Only hope that coinmap doesn't turn even more evil and goes on to remove all those very vulnerable OSM entries, destroying the value of the forks of the open source project that it was. Speaking of which, which is the best alternative to coinmap? One without the crappy heat-map and locked data?

WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Stemby
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 02:55:11 AM

Speaking of which, which is the best alternative to coinmap?
I should have good news very soon. Stay tuned!

ECB Report, October 2012
giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2015, 01:12:15 AM

Speaking of which, which is the best alternative to coinmap?
I should have good news very soon. Stay tuned!

I go with http://cryptomap.info/ for now.

ɃɃ
Stemby
Legendary

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 02:25:39 PM

I go with http://cryptomap.info/ for now.
Nice to know, thanks!

I'm starting another project, but at the moment this seems the best alternative.

Ciao!

ECB Report, October 2012
giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2015, 05:31:30 PM

https://coinmap.org/api/ was updated and now mentions an open license. It makes sense they picked this license as else the OSM data would have to be kept separated. With this change I'm glad I can come back to support coinmap.org. Looking forward to working more with the data, both as provider and as user.

ɃɃ
edd13

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 09:42:30 AM

Do you know that map? You can select Bitcoin in payments Smiley

http://osm24.eu/index.php#!12/51.4813/-0.0335/type=all/mon=place_all/office=office_all/craft=craft_all/store=store_all/theatre_genre=theatre_genre_all/tourism_type=tourism_all/payment=payment_bitcoin@1;/
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 »
  Print  

Jump to: