Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:38:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 15 Hours-Antminer S5 not posting results to website  (Read 856 times)
Tentatio (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 09, 2017, 02:31:28 AM

Hey all, I'm just starting out bitcoin mining, and I'm having a problem I'm having difficulty resolving.

I bought a used Antminer S5 on EBay (actually 2 of them, I'm waiting on the second still); I created accounts on slushpool.com and antpool.com, and read through their getting started guides and setup instructions.

For slushpool.com (which I prefer because it goes to "dead" less frequently than Antpool) I'm using stratum+tcp://stratum.slushpool.com:3333 with the worker name provided when I created the worker.

For Antpool.com, I'm doing the same thing, but with the stratum+tcp://stratum.antpool.com:443 URL.

I found that my S5 has a markedly lower hashrate (400-600 GH/s) on antpool, and closer to expected (800-1100 GH/s) on slushpool.

For both pools, I set it up and ignored it for a couple hours before I checked the site to see if I was getting credited for the work.  As antpool frequently showed as dead, no matter which port I used, I assumed that was why I wasn't seeing my work on the site.  slushpool however, went dead on me exactly once in 15 hours and I am still not seeing worker results on their site.

For slushpool.com (running 16 hours now) my average rate is 796.22 (seems to have dropped slowly over time) HW error rate is .0071%, Diff 256, Getworks 700, Diff1# 10,685,655, Diffs# 10,197,991, Discarded 233,258, Stale 41840.

So as far as I can tell from looking at the interface on my S5 and on the website stats tracking, it's getting work, it's doing work, it's not getting credit for its work.  Is there something I missed in the setup, or is it normal for new miners to not show up on the site for a while?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ArcCsch

Activity: 224
Merit: 117

▲ Portable backup power source for mining.

View Profile
January 09, 2017, 03:48:02 AM

Maybe you just did not mine a share yet, bitcoin difficulty is about 70 bits (someone correct me if I am wrong), so pools save all block attempts with, say 62 zeroes (those are called shares), and share the profits among them when they get a block.
Perhaps your work is measured by 32 bit attempts, which you have a lot of, but don't have 62 bit shares yet.

If you don't have sole and complete control over the private keys, you don't have any bitcoin!  Signature campaigns are OK, zero tolorance for spam!
1JGYXhfhPrkiHcpYkiuCoKpdycPhGCuswa
Tentatio (OP)

View Profile
January 09, 2017, 04:11:54 AM

Maybe you just did not mine a share yet, bitcoin difficulty is about 70 bits (someone correct me if I am wrong), so pools save all block attempts with, say 62 zeroes (those are called shares), and share the profits among them when they get a block.
Perhaps your work is measured by 32 bit attempts, which you have a lot of, but don't have 62 bit shares yet.

Sounds like "just be patient and see if it shows"?  I'm totally cool with that, just wanted to make sure something wasn't way off in my setup or reported work (from the miner).  I've been a bitcoin miner for probably 72 hours, so my confidence isn't really there yet, lol!  I knew the S5 wasn't a big earner (if it did better than break even) by modern standards, but I figured at 170$ it'd be a good way to dip a toe in the pool.

Thanks a lot for the response/reassurance, I really appreciate it! 

I'll settle in and just wait and see for a bit.  Lord knows there's enough educational reading to do on the subject to pass the time   Grin
Tentatio (OP)

View Profile
January 13, 2017, 08:41:58 PM

For the benefit of anyone that happens to stumble across this with a similar problem:

I'd purchased this used, so I didn't have super high expectations on performance, I just want a cheap beater to learn on before I went for the good stuff.

I thought the .7-1.1th/s it was putting out was fairly par and thought nothing of it, my only concern was that it wasn't posting to the website.

After several days of "wait and see" I took it to work with me where I could actually put tools on it (I'm the Technology Director for a small school district, so all my good computer diagnostic toys are at work) and started diagnosing.

What I found very early in the teardown is that short (maybe 3") four conductor flat cable that ran between the right side (with the fan facing toward you) hashing board and the green controller board (same one the fan plugs into) was extremely loose.  I plugged the Antminer S5 in, powered it up, and immediately shut it down by simply touching the cable in question.

In my experience, loose cables that shut things down when you touch them cause all kinds of problems; so out came the nippers, my color coded spools of wire and my soldering iron.

I cut down the edges of the plugs on the board to give myself room to work, then soldered jumpers to the prongs, effectively replacing the loose cable with hard soldered wires.

Upon turning the machine back on, it immediately settled in at about 1.3tH/s (higher than spec) at 42c on both boards (default clock speed) and hasn't deviated by more than about 3% from that hashing speed since. 

Much to my absolute joy, 5 minutes later I was seeing results matching that appear on the slushpool.com monitor interface.

On closer inspection of the OEM flat cable, I found heat damage on the lead for the +v.  It was very subtle, I had to use a magnifier, but it does help explain how the cable itself failed.
evakka

Activity: 700
Merit: 265

View Profile
January 24, 2017, 09:12:52 PM

Nice job Tentatio!

How's it going until now?
What about your earnings?

I am thinking of buying 3 S5 myself for testing purposes like you but from the calculations I get Minus profit in return which is normal Undecided
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: