Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 12:43:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: is modminerquadstore.com legit ?  (Read 4518 times)
JonSnow

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 10:30:28 PM

cgminer build:

Code:
apt-get install git automake -y
git clone git://github.com/ckolivas/cgminer.git
cd cgminer
./autogen.sh
./configure --enable-modminer
make

Then run cgminer -o pool etc

Result:

Code:
ModMiner detect (5:9) zero FPGA count from ModMiner Quad v0.4-ljr-alpha
No devices detected!
Waiting for USB hotplug devices or press q to quit
th3joker

Activity: 319
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 10:37:59 PM

it's detecting the main board but not the fpga daughterboards.

Are the fans spinning on them etc.

Have you tried removing all of them and trying just one daughterboard after reseating it.
JonSnow

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 10:39:29 PM

it's detecting the main board but not the fpga daughterboards.

Are the fans spinning on them etc.

Have you tried removing all of them and trying just one daughterboard after reseating it.

Yes, the fans are spinning, the LED on the main board is blinking continuously, as it is supposed to.  No, I hadn't tried with a single fpga yet because I figured if any of them were working they'd show up.

Is there a way to tell for sure whether or not the new firmware was reinstalled correctly?
th3joker

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 10:43:38 PM

did it say this before ModMiner Quad v0.4-ljr-alpha
JonSnow

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 10:44:15 PM

Trying with just a single board after reseating it ... still getting the same error.  Wondering if the firmware upgrade/reset didn't actually install correctly.
th3joker

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 10:48:26 PM

it's possible, but i couldn't say for sure without seeing the output.

you could try it on a windows system, it pops up as a drive and you can manually delete the firmware from the folder then copy over the new one.
JonSnow

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 12:23:02 AM

uggggghhhhh.  still nothing.  and i installed Ubuntu over my Windows OS, so i don't think running in Windows is possible.
th3joker

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 02:23:42 AM

I'm in the UK if you are too I would be happy to try one of your modules for you at least you can rule that out then. would just need the little daughter board to plug into the main boards we have.

Perhaps if you're closer to someone else with a working rig they would do the same?
JonSnow

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 05:31:44 AM

Well, Tom SSH'ed in tonight and let me know the problem is the molex power supply I'm using.  His advice was:

"just buy the cheapest desktop PSU you can find, you can probably get one
for $20

its very easy to modify to be stand alone and be able to turn on and off
without a motherboard just snip the black and green cable and connect them
wrap in some electrical tape if you got it, you guys got frys out there
right? you can buy one in store or buy one online, you dont need nothing
special the cheapest one you can find will work."

What is everyone else using to power their MMQs?
th3joker

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 09:25:28 AM

Same as Ton suggests I have a real cheap PSU the two units I have draw just under 100 watts anyway so not much of a strain on them.
rammy2k2 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 11:48:45 AM

1. so the store is legit ? they send stuff ?
2. 4x Spartan 6's 800+mhas , that is 3.2 Gh ?
RoboCoder

Activity: 388

Save A Life, Adopt a Pet Today!

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 01:54:59 PM

1. so the store is legit ? they send stuff ?
2. 4x Spartan 6's 800+mhas , that is 3.2 Gh ?

no 4x spartan 6's 200-220 mh/s each for a total of 800-880 mh/s - i have several and the average i get is about 820 mh/s each board (set of 4 chips). 
th3joker

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 05:14:13 PM
Last edit: May 06, 2013, 11:33:56 PM by th3joker

Has anyone got the tml miner working on a raspberry pi I get loads of java errors connecting to the pools.
JonSnow

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 12:36:00 AM

UPDATE: I bought a more powerful PSU to use since Tom said the issues were with my power supply .. received it yesterday and got it running with a motherboard.  The MMQ STILL does not work.  Undecided

Tom assured me that the new PSU would do the trick.  It hasn't.  It's been over a month since I ordered this thing and it's still not working. 
shep80

Activity: 139
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 01:57:23 AM

UPDATE: I bought a more powerful PSU to use since Tom said the issues were with my power supply .. received it yesterday and got it running with a motherboard.  The MMQ STILL does not work.  Undecided

Tom assured me that the new PSU would do the trick.  It hasn't.  It's been over a month since I ordered this thing and it's still not working. 

Same errors?  Sad
JonSnow

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 02:17:08 AM

Same errors?  Sad

Yep.  Sad

I wonder, would you be willing sometime to SSH in again and see if we can get it working or if it's the same issue?  I'd definitely pay you for your time.
shep80

Activity: 139
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 02:35:05 AM

Yep.  Sad

I wonder, would you be willing sometime to SSH in again and see if we can get it working or if it's the same issue?  I'd definitely pay you for your time.

Sure, we can give the reset procedure a shot that may be reasonable to try... I should have time tomorrow evening, roughly 20 hours from now  Smiley

I will drop you a note. Let me know if you have any developments in the meantime.

Also, what was the logic behind the new power supply? What were you using before, and what did you change to?

JonSnow

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 05:54:15 AM

Yep.  Sad

Sure, we can give the reset procedure a shot that may be reasonable to try... I should have time tomorrow evening, roughly 20 hours from now  Smiley

I will drop you a note. Let me know if you have any developments in the meantime.

Also, what was the logic behind the new power supply? What were you using before, and what did you change to?

Well, what happened was people suggested the firmware might need resetting, so I did that but then had a problem getting it out of the firmware reset mode.  I eventually was able to, and then Tom SSH'ed in to a fresh install of Ubuntu where I had not even installed bfgminer or any of its dependencies.  Tom installed bfgminer, still couldn't get the system to recognize the FPGAs, and then asked what power supply I was using.

It was this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Coolerguys-100-240v-Molex-Power-Adapter/dp/B000MGG6SC/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1368337840&sr=8-7&keywords=molex

Apparently it wasn't powerful enough, so Tom advised that I find the cheapest PSU that I could and then connect the black and green wires to allow it to operate without a motherboard. 

For that, I then bought this PSU:
http://www.amazon.com/Logisys-Corp-Bearing-Supply-PS550E12BK/dp/B004MU8VCS/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1368337927&sr=1-2&keywords=molex+psu

Received it yesterday, so I did some searching online and found good instructions.  Ended up using a paperclip to connect the black and green wires, which seems to have worked as the MMQ fans and everything are running from it now.

Tom said this would be all that was needed and then I'd just be able to get the MMQ to mine without issue. 

I tried, but received exactly the same errors as before.  Undecided  No improvement.

I'll make myself available tomorrow evening to do this, so just let me know when you're available.  Smiley  Thank you again!
JonSnow

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 01:12:28 AM

Update: 

It has been over a month and a half since I initially placed my MMQ order.  Two replacement cards later and multiple peoples' attempts to get it working (including Tom, whose product this is) and it STILL will not work.  I've tried three different power supplies, five different operating systems, three forum members with FPGA and Linux experience have tried SSH'ing in to no avail, Tom himself hasn't been able to get it work ... and at this point, I just want this situation resolved. 

Sad
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: