Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:11:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: First Golden Cross in the History of Bitstamp  (Read 3911 times)
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 12:55:57 PM

They are like 2% of the volume.. who cares.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 01:11:23 PM

that seems debatable.

http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/volumepie/
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 01:12:30 PM

A lot of people still regard it as a default price setter for whatever reason. Their weird volume explosion and mountains of buys and sells a while back maybe put a dent in that but at least it's still more believable than anything coming out of China.
natewelt (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 11:53:08 PM

am i missing something? Probably i do..

In my opinion, you aren't going to get a true and accurate reading on bitcoinwisdom charts in terms of moving averages bc the moving average calculations change every time you change from 1h to 2h, 4h, 12h, 1d, 1w etc. Maybe if you are a member it's different.

Also, you are zoomed in so much nobody can tell which moving average is which or even what exchange you are looking at.

It needs to be 50 day simple moving average and 200 day simple moving average...point blank.

When I went back to 2011 (http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/bitstampUSD#rg360zigDailyztgSza1gSMAzm1g50za2gSMAzm2g200) what I saw was that the 50 day was already above the 200 day by the time the 200 day started forming and it never fell below it until the 2014 fall.

Hope that helps.
natewelt (OP)

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 11:58:20 PM

TIL about golden crosses, thank you OP, very interesting.

You're welcome. Glad you found it interesting.
natewelt (OP)

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 12:08:04 AM

In my opinion, you aren't going to get a true and accurate reading on bitcoinwisdom charts in terms of moving averages bc the moving average calculations change every time you change from 1h to 2h, 4h, 12h, 1d, 1w etc. Maybe if you are a member it's different.

Also, you are zoomed in so much nobody can tell which moving average is which or even what exchange you are looking at.

It needs to be 50 day simple moving average and 200 day simple moving average...point blank.

When I went back to 2011 (http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/bitstampUSD#rg360zigDailyztgSza1gSMAzm1g50za2gSMAzm2g200) what I saw was that the 50 day was already above the 200 day by the time the 200 day started forming and it never fell below it until the 2014 fall.

Hope that helps.

Here's a graphic with what I would guess covers the part of the time frame in your graphic you were concerned with (July 2013). As you can see, there was never a crossing of the moving averages.

upload image
EternalWingsofGod

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 06:07:59 AM

I'll have to take your technical analysis at face value that it is the first golden cross in the history of Bitcoin.
The history of Bitstamp was the OP, not the history of Bitcoin. Here's a chart of MtGox 2010-2014 and there almost one in June 2012, but not as clear as this one.

Your right I was assuming it was an average index and misread that title, thanks for the correction.
And unlike Gox I doubt we have a Willy Bot this time around pushing the trend. (Or we have a lot more than 1 this time  Wink)

L0uis

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 07:15:34 AM

Hope that helps.

Here's a graphic with what I would guess covers the part of the time frame in your graphic you were concerned with (July 2013). As you can see, there was never a crossing of the moving averages.

upload image

I see it now. It must be Bitcoinwisdom then. Didn't know there was such inaccuracy Smiley
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 01:52:38 PM

Is this real life?
Yes David, this is real buddy.  Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txqiwrbYGrs

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
yefi
Legendary

Activity: 2842
Merit: 1511

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 03:04:27 PM

I guess you lose some resolution if you want to see a time interval shorter than the period of your moving average, but the readings aren't really untrue or inaccurate.
cafucafucafu

Activity: 812
Merit: 509

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 04:34:57 PM

What about Huobi?

mixan
Legendary

Activity: 966

TRUMP IS DOING THE BEST! MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 04:38:50 PM

Moon confirmed Smiley

It is, back when Satoshi invented bitcoin. Wink My holdings are doing pretty fine. Cheesy

Is this real life?

Or is this fantasy?
I'm just a poor boy I need no sympathy,
 Because I'm easy come, easy go,
 Little high, little low.

I think this is what he was going for.  Wink a little {bohemian rhapsody}
This explains my situation when I look at charts on bitcoin.

The parasite hates three things: free markets, free will, and free men.
uki
Legendary

Activity: 1358

cryptojunk bag holder

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 11:01:49 PM

Alright folks. It appears to me that we have just witnessed the first golden cross in the history of Bitstamp (I went all the way back to 2011). From my understanding, a true golden cross only occurs when the 50 day moving average crosses above the 200 day moving average while BOTH averages are trending upwards. Over the past two years we have had the 50 DMA cross above the 200 DMA, but both of those times the 200 DMA was trending downwards. Having one average moving up while the other continues downward is obviously much less bullish then both moving up together.

This time, as of literally this day of October 27, 2015, we have our first Golden Cross. Not by much though. The 200 DMA has only been moving upwards for about 10 days now. However, that still counts.

I'd also like to point out that volume has been very strong on Stamp during this most recent surge versus the previous. I'm sure some of this relates to them stealing some market share from Finex, but still more volume on the exchange that I feel is the best gauge of price is positive. Also, the bottom of the chart shows that accumulation has been much more impressive versus the previous rise. Also bullish, and something that needs to be noticed.

All I can say is that the stars appear to be aligning. I like my HODL odds.

-snip-
Good, that you have pointed out that. That is a very positive sign that may attract some investors who until now were still waiting on the sidelines.
We need this cross to be confirmed and then we could get some interesting action, especially if the volume indicator stays at least at the current levels. 

this space is intentionally left blank
natewelt (OP)

View Profile
October 31, 2015, 02:58:47 PM

I guess you lose some resolution if you want to see a time interval shorter than the period of your moving average, but the readings aren't really untrue or inaccurate.

Probably poor choice of words, but what I really meant was your reading may be inaccurate just because of user error and not bc bitcoinwisdom calculates moving averages incorrectly. After all, it's just a simple average.

That's why I use http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/bitstampUSD#rg60zigDailyztgSza1gSMAzm1g50za2gSMAzm2g200zi1gAccDistzi2gVol. You can input the data in a very simple a clear way that gives you results you can confidently read.
natewelt (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 08:20:43 PM

I wanted to post an updated chart on the one month anniversary of my original post pointing out the golden cross. I think the picture sums up my thoughts at this point. Please post with thoughts/suggestions/questions.

how to screenshot on windows
uki
Legendary

Activity: 1358

cryptojunk bag holder

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 10:59:10 PM

I wanted to post an updated chart on the one month anniversary of my original post pointing out the golden cross. I think the picture sums up my thoughts at this point. Please post with thoughts/suggestions/questions.
-snip-
thanks for the update.
I believe that the retest of what has now become support ($300 line on your chart) is due and that will tell us where we are. I don't expect this line to be broken either. To me it looks like the new range-bounded level has been established around $350 and it will take a longer while to get out of there (volume chart seems to confirm that!). This will slower down the rise of SMA50.

this space is intentionally left blank
afbitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1061

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2015, 11:31:09 PM

Didn't know about the golden cross. Thumbs up, I like this analysis

ps I've also notice the horizontal level you talk about which is now providing support where used to be resistance. I shared my thoughts in this thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1263134.0 similar conclusion to you I think bitcoin is primed for big moves as a halving mania gathers steam.
Dotto
Legendary

Activity: 981
Merit: 1005

No maps for these territories

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 09:14:20 PM

Great thread!. It would be nice to keep in on topic.

I would like to know if exist the opposite figure of golden cross: something as both MAs crossing down while going down and marking the beginning of a bear market?

Could we see historically one or more of these crosses to watch that effectivily it preceeded a strong bear market?
natewelt (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2015, 03:41:37 PM

Great thread!. It would be nice to keep in on topic.

I would like to know if exist the opposite figure of golden cross: something as both MAs crossing down while going down and marking the beginning of a bear market?

Could we see historically one or more of these crosses to watch that effectivily it preceeded a strong bear market?

Thank you! I agree and hope to keep the conversations here valuable and of higher quality than you generally get in the speculation section.

The opposite of a golden cross is called a death cross. I would argue that a death cross means a lot less than a golden cross because the stock market and bitcoin both have shown a tendency to go up over time. This means that if you sell because of a death cross during a generally rising market that has had a standard correction what you have just done is sold towards the bottom. However, if you get a death cross in a market that has looked weak for a long period of time such as a year or so then that might signal a top. It's always nearly impossible to tell what will happen next, but the sort of things I just mentioned at least help me make decisions and are better indicators than using no indicators.

Bitcoin has not had many death crosses because it has generally gone up over time, but there was one in September 2014 at around a $500 price. From there it took over a year to get back to that level. Theoretically, you could have seen the death cross coming a couple weeks in advance and sold at about $500 then waited for the golden cross to form and bought back at $300 in late October 2015. That would have been a great trade.

Here is a link that goes back to show the death cross last year...
http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/bitstampUSD#rg730zigDailyzczsg2014-05-01zeg2015-12-06ztgSza1gSMAzm1g50za2gSMAzm2g200zi1gAccDistzi2gVol
600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
February 08, 2017, 08:37:02 PM

wow, the golden cross was spot on. bitcoin has been on the rise for the last 16 months. price was @ $280. almost quadrupled. nice find, respect.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: