Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:56:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is a RPC Username & Password?  (Read 19112 times)
jbgc (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2011, 03:55:15 AM

Hey,

I am trying to configure my Mac to use GPU to mine instead of CPU but some of the code requires an RPC username and RPC password.  As far as I know, I have not created a username and password.

How can I get my RPC Username/Password and what exactly is it?

Thanks,
jbgc

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ChanneledDan

Activity: 11

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 04:03:40 AM

In your bitcoin.conf file you need to set a username and password (and set server=1 so the client starts up as a server not just a client).

on a Mac the bitcoin.conf is in your HardDrive/Users/(username)/Application Support/Bitcoin

If it's not there you'll need to create one. A sample can be found here: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Running_Bitcoin
Just set your own username and password and set server=1
jbgc (OP)

Activity: 28

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2011, 04:15:19 AM

In your bitcoin.conf file you need to set a username and password (and set server=1 so the client starts up as a server not just a client).

I tried to open up the bitcoin.conf file but it did not recognize the file format, so I opened it up with 'TextEdit', a simple text editor similar to 'notepad' on a Windows OS.  It had two lines of text:

rpcuser=username
     rpcpassword=password

So I simply change the username/password, then add a third line that says 'server=1'?  Is this a good example of what it should look like? --->

rpcuser=jbgc
     rpcpassword=Bitmaster21
     server=1

Can the password be case-sensative?  Thanks for the help thus far.    Cheesy
ChanneledDan

Activity: 11

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 04:38:34 AM

Yeah, I should have mentioned that it's just a text file and can be edited with TextEdit.

I assume, since bitcoin was designed according to security best practices, that passwords are case sensitive as they should be. That should be it. When you run a GPU miner (providing localhost as the host and your username and password you set) it should tell you whether it connects successfully or not.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: