Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:42:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BEWARE!!! Bitinstant -> Mt.Gox Deposit Changes  (Read 1257 times)
nyusternie (OP)

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

"Living the Kewl Life"

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 01:37:47 PM

For the last few months, I've been transferring USD via Bitinstant to Mt.Gox without a problem.

However, in the past week Bitinstant has changed their account format to:

Code:
MtGox Account # (ex. M12345678X)

However, on Mt.Gox's Bitinstant page they're still showing, ex:

Code:
Exchange Account: 123456

Mt.Gox has just replied to me:

To see this message, go to Funding Options>Add Funds>Bank Transfer.
So now you have to first go to "Bank Transfer" BEFORE the "Bitinstant" funding page Huh

Also, this disclaimer was recently added to the bottom of their Bitinstant funding page:

IMPORTANT: If Bitinstant sends you the funds to the wrong account, the transaction is considered final and Mt.Gox will not be able to do anything to recover the funds.

I really can't understand WHY they would add this disclaimer (which doesn't exist on any of their other funding pages), but NOT simply update the funding page with the PROPER account number (how hard would that be)?

Its too late for me, as I already tried prefixing an "M" and suffixing and "X" to the account number shown. This was accepted by Bitinstant, but it appears the funds will never make it into my account (maybe someone else just received a gift). I contacted Mt.Gox about this issue, but I'm not really holding my breath.

PLEASE DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I DID
unless you plan on "accidentally" depositing into my account Wink

1SDoTrAWQnbJ2ZHvLs3a2XxazqNSishn1
GPG A1638B57 | OTC nyusternie

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Haole

Activity: 125

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 04:35:20 PM
Last edit: April 14, 2013, 04:51:32 PM by Haole

BEWARE!!!  

Wink

"The future isn't what it used to be." - Yogi Berra
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 08:55:33 PM

Its too late for me, as I already tried prefixing an "M" and suffixing and "X" to the account number shown. This was accepted by Bitinstant, but it appears the funds will never make it into my account (maybe someone else just received a gift). I contacted Mt.Gox about this issue, but I'm not really holding my breath.

Chill, dude.

That account format change isn't what the disclaimer is referring to.    If you used the old format they still know which account to credit.

The disclaimer is there because people were careless and entering the wrong number ... a number that matches someone else's account.

So as long as you have the correct digits for your account number entered, you won't lose anything -- it just might be delayed as the automated method might be looking for the new formatting.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

nyusternie (OP)

"Living the Kewl Life"

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 05:28:13 AM
Last edit: April 16, 2013, 04:54:46 AM by nyusternie

Chill, dude.

That account format change isn't what the disclaimer is referring to.    If you used the old format they still know which account to credit.

The disclaimer is there because people were careless and entering the wrong number ... a number that matches someone else's account.

So as long as you have the correct digits for your account number entered, you won't lose anything -- it just might be delayed as the automated method might be looking for the new formatting.

thanks for your input, however, its factually wrong. its been 2 days and still nothing from my erroneous deposit. though i'm not sure how to quantify what you mean by delayed

both bitinstant and mt.gox HAVE been very responsive in helping me resolve this issue (which was a very welcome surprise considering how busy they've been recently -- kudos to them), however the fact is still no deposit. i'm in no way trying to spread fear merely offering a PSA to help others avoid my mistake until mt.gox makes the necessary update to their bitinstant funding page.

this change has created much confusion, wouldn't you agree?

nyusternie (OP)

"Living the Kewl Life"

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 04:47:32 AM

UPDATE:
my deposit has just been posted to mt.gox.

much thanks to the bitinstant staff for working to resolve this issue as quickly as they did (especially considering how many support requests they've received lately)

Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: