Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 11:05:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Could bitcoin prevent crime?  (Read 9578 times)
fortunecrypto
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1047

thecryptocurrency.directory

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2017, 05:38:04 AM

I have no idea how bitcoin could and can prevent crime,in fact they are being used illegally in the dark web,people can set up an escrow company but still many people will prepare without an escrow as long as he company or the person they are sending their bitcoin are trusted.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Vivace92

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 26, 2017, 06:12:40 AM

I am not sure, it depends of the user bitcoin. quite the contrary, the existence of the bitcoin is very prone to be used as a place of criminal transactions, such as purchases of drugs, money laundering and so on. but I say once again that it depends of the user bitcoin.
btccashacc
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 26, 2017, 06:23:42 AM

Yes bitcoin can prevent crime from the way I see it, bitcoin provides a way to earn some decent income legitimately for quite a number of people even on this forum alone is enough compared to other forums as well. we have had coders and IT experts coming here to earn something in which case they would have engaged in something else if this is not provided for them which there is possibility that it might be illegal. So, whether we like it or not, that counts and it means less people engaging in criminal activities.

LOL. your reason is too general, That means all things in the world can stop crimes because it is just a matter on how they use it.  In my opinion bitcoin can do both prevent and reason to made a crime. Bitcoin is money no matter what angle we see it. And money is common reason for crimes, Then it will prevent a crime once it is used on good things just like helping poor people so that they will not do bad things just for money
Maybe he never thought that bitcoin is a currency not a police.
Preventing crime isn't a job of the bitcoin, i might say that it can't prevent crime, but with it's technology the blockchain people will think twice before do something criminal, however people can increase their anonimity like using 3rd party such a mixing service so it makes the police hard to trace who's behind that address.
Catmony

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 26, 2017, 07:18:50 AM

Bitcoin is just a tool for financial transaction and it is upto the user how they gonna use bitcoin. You may be talking about using escrow in middle to not get scammed during some deal, than yes escrow can prevent someone from scamming others but this can't be taken as preventing crime.

Bitcoin is being used for both legal and illegal transactions and businesses.
hurain

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 26, 2017, 08:23:39 AM

The crime will be significantly reduced, if people stop carrying physical cash and credit cards in their wallet. They can make the payments using the Bitcoin wallet in their mobile phones. Even if someone steals the mobile phone, it will be of no use. The wallet will be protected by 2-factor authentication and by the time the thief manages to crack it, the coins will be transferred somewhere safely.
yes good thinking bitcoin can really reduce such kind of crime to snatch the physical money from a person or to steal a check book and then cash it illegally, because if you have bitcoin in you wallet they it so safe form stealing unless some one steal your pass key, and that can only be possible because of your carelessness. otherwise it is not so easy to steal the passkey of a online wallet of a person.
Harsh9818

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 26, 2017, 10:48:07 AM

Bitcoin can't prevent crimes
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
January 26, 2017, 10:48:46 AM

The crime will be significantly reduced, if people stop carrying physical cash and credit cards in their wallet. They can make the payments using the Bitcoin wallet in their mobile phones. Even if someone steals the mobile phone, it will be of no use. The wallet will be protected by 2-factor authentication and by the time the thief manages to crack it, the coins will be transferred somewhere safely.
yes good thinking bitcoin can really reduce such kind of crime to snatch the physical money from a person or to steal a check book and then cash it illegally, because if you have bitcoin in you wallet they it so safe form stealing unless some one steal your pass key, and that can only be possible because of your carelessness. otherwise it is not so easy to steal the passkey of a online wallet of a person.

Also, if you steal physical cash, it is impossible to track the cash and the person who stole it. But if a robber hacks in to someone's wallet and steals the Bitcoins, then it may be possible to track the coins. If the thief is using a coin mixer, then it gets difficult to track, but if necessary resources are available, then it is possible to track the movement of the coins.
erickkyut

Activity: 1176
Merit: 509

View Profile
January 26, 2017, 11:41:44 AM

Could bitcoin prevent crime?

I believe Bitcoin transactions via online wallets could prevent crime. People are going to use Bitcoin for legal and illegal transactions, however criminal transactions are susceptible to crime as cash is used for the transaction...which encourages theft. If bitcoin were used for these shady transactions, perhaps with escrow, there would be no opportunity to steal currency - couldn't this prevent crime? (Aside from the original criminal transaction of course!)

Definitely if there is no physical cash, there will be nothing to steal therefore there will be no theft! But if we will use bitcoin as the only medium of exchange in replacement for cash, it only encourages hacking which is also another form of theft. There will still be crime but on a different way.
sHeRiLyN1618

Activity: 602

No banking,Only Bitcoin!

View Profile
January 26, 2017, 11:50:48 AM

Also, if you steal physical cash, it is impossible to track the cash and the person who stole it. But if a robber hacks in to someone's wallet and steals the Bitcoins, then it may be possible to track the coins. If the thief is using a coin mixer, then it gets difficult to track, but if necessary resources are available, then it is possible to track the movement of the coins.
I guess also need to pay attention to person who use the coins. If only tracks the coins movement without taking action who is using it I guess it is useless. I know it is not easy to track the person with only seeing the bitcoin address. That's why bitcoin will not prevent crime.
mobnepal
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1006

View Profile
January 26, 2017, 02:44:33 PM

Actually running away with bitcoin is easier because nobody can track back where those scammed bitcoin end up and also scammer can remain anonymous while running bitcoin ponzi. Bitcoin is also being used by many drug dealers and in darknet marketplaces so bitcoin is a safe heaven for criminals as well as for money laundering. But there are also lots of legal use cases for bitcoin, bitcoin couldn't be useful to prevent crimes.
savioroshan

Activity: 770

View Profile
January 26, 2017, 03:13:53 PM

Actually digital currency can prevent crimes . Yeah its right. There wont be thieves or robbers. Nobody will hurt anyone for money.Because nobody will be carrying physical currency in hand or in purse. So there is no purpose of attacking or robbing.All money transactions will be digital.Its good. But I am not saying about the cryptocurrencies.I am telling about the usage of internet banking, debit cards and credit cards of fiat currency. But it will be reverse in the case of cryptocurriencies. The main thing is its anonymous and nobody will be able to trace out for what purpose its using or where the amount is send. If it reaches in the wrong hands , the whole world would be in danger.
mrjoy15

Activity: 840
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2017, 03:16:14 PM

I guess it could be hard in fact many places are being used bitcoin for legal and illegally.However,looking others point I pretty believe that Bitcoin transactions could prevent crime as it is internet based currency which called virtual currency.Overall if people stop carrying physical cash and start using wallet for transactions there possibility could prevent crime.
youdacapt

Activity: 1806
Merit: 295

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2017, 11:01:56 PM

If we talk about online transactions anonymously in bitcoin. Of course, these have positive and negative sides. And I think it will help the criminals launder their money through bitcoin. It can't be denied. That doesn't include hacking wallet accounts. Escrow can't be a solution for a maximum of individual cases, because people want to deal directly, without intermediaries.

If a crime occurs, where are we going to report? Police? they will only make you more confused.

Bitcoin will never be a means of preventing crime, it would be otherwise.
deppil

Activity: 1008
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 26, 2017, 11:41:24 PM

I have no idea how bitcoin could and can prevent crime,in fact they are being used illegally in the dark web,people can set up an escrow company but still many people will prepare without an escrow as long as he company or the person they are sending their bitcoin are trusted.
yeah let alone bitcoin itself was illegal, in fact there are many crimes that are in bitcoin, ranging from the many fraudulent transactions because bitcoin anonymous and it makes it easier fraudsters committing crimes
Gembul

Activity: 406

View Profile
January 27, 2017, 12:01:49 AM

yeah let alone bitcoin itself was illegal, in fact there are many crimes that are in bitcoin, ranging from the many fraudulent transactions because bitcoin anonymous and it makes it easier fraudsters committing crimes

I think bitcoin it's not illegal thing, but bitcoin is often used for illegal things. So let us don't blame bitcoin, because bitcoin itself is made to provide the benefits.
So let us keep this digital currency so that bitcoin not disappear just because the people who are not responsible to use it for things that are not good. Thank you
richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
January 27, 2017, 12:12:02 AM

I guess it could be hard in fact many places are being used bitcoin for legal and illegally.However,looking others point I pretty believe that Bitcoin transactions could prevent crime as it is internet based currency which called virtual currency.Overall if people stop carrying physical cash and start using wallet for transactions there possibility could prevent crime.

Physical money or digital money, it won't solve anything regarding this matter. If you solely focus on the benefits of Bitcoin as digital money compared to physical money, then it would even offer people extra options to expand their operations to the internet where they buy or sell certain services and drugs. It's no surprise that the demand for deep web products and services is only growing. And exactly that motivates criminals enough to go online as well.
Tanic

Activity: 294

View Profile
January 27, 2017, 12:36:13 AM

Bitcoin can organize crime. Bitcoin is widespread in countries such as Argentina, where the control over the movement of capital has impeded the withdrawal of the country's physical assets. The ability to move money in digital form opens up a new way for criminals or people who fear detection by the authorities. Now they can transfer the money without any problems.
DomainMagnate

Activity: 602

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2017, 12:41:23 AM

Could bitcoin prevent crime?

I believe Bitcoin transactions via online wallets could prevent crime. People are going to use Bitcoin for legal and illegal transactions, however criminal transactions are susceptible to crime as cash is used for the transaction...which encourages theft. If bitcoin were used for these shady transactions, perhaps with escrow, there would be no opportunity to steal currency - couldn't this prevent crime? (Aside from the original criminal transaction of course!)
If you are referring to online frauds and scams as crime,yes this could be prevented If we use escrow but what is the role of bitcoin in all this ?We can use escrow in non bitcoin transaction also and prevent crime.
And what if escrow himself turned out to be a scammer and run away with your bitcoin?
PokemonFun

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 27, 2017, 01:37:17 AM

Bitcoin is cryptocurrency which bring crime to growing because bitcoin cryptocurrency is anonymously and nobody cant check your bitcoin wallet so only bad news for trying to stop  crime with  a bitcoin cryptocurrency.We dont need to give any private informations to create a bitcoin wallet ,we can send bitcoin from one to another bitcoin wallet so we even dont need a bitcoin wallet for transactions.Also we can send our bitcoins directly to like example bitkonan from where we can send our bitcoins directly to our bank account.There is also other way but more expensive which I dont suggest to nobody because exhanger fees and risks in transaction like a that  and that way is to change bitcoin to paypal and nobody can also check this transaction,paypal will ask you from where are bitcoins but I heard that they can easy lie them and there will not be tracks leaved in some ilegall business.
Doms

Activity: 714

View Profile
January 27, 2017, 02:27:26 AM

People always seem to find ways to get things done, be it legal or illegal. As with bitcoin, it is just another tool that makes it easier for us to make our transactions online and anonymously. There have been a lot who took it to their advantage and made deals that are deemed "illegal" by our laws. Although the blockchain is there, I am not sure if it can prevent or deter crimes from happening.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: