Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 01:58:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Could bitcoin prevent crime?  (Read 9578 times)
BingoDog

Activity: 658
Merit: 505

View Profile
January 29, 2017, 04:54:01 PM

How could bitcoin prevent crime, I can't see the way. In fact bitcoin had and still have some bad reputation because criminals use it for illegal activities and commiting crime. Maybe bitcoin could be alternative for some people who doesn't have enough fiat money so bitcoin could be alternative income and thus maybe prevent them from commiting some crime like stealing.

malaj

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sir.humus

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 29, 2017, 05:02:35 PM

An Italian politician has asserted recently that bitcoin is providing Italian mobsters with a legal way of entering the gambling sector.
So, maybe it's preventing crime, but it's not stopping the criminals. Just helping them gain more power through legal moves.
I wouldn't count on bitcoin alone to solve all the world's problems.
Barbut

Activity: 1694
Merit: 502

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
January 29, 2017, 05:03:57 PM

Haha bitcoin is not a social program, bitcoin can do miracles. This headline is funny, thread have sense and some logic but again people who wish yo do illegal things will use different altcoins for that. Criminals will always find a way!

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
DarkIT

Activity: 1176
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 29, 2017, 05:25:07 PM

I do not know, maybe bitcoin could not prevent it, even bitcoin may increase crime. Well, excess bitcoin make a lot of people to do things that are illegal. but, perhaps bitcoin able to do that, if used in the best possible. it all just depends on the person using it.

░░▄▄███▄▄
██████████
████
█████░░░░
██████████▄▄██████▄▄
███████████████████████▄▄
████
█████████▀▀███████
██████████████░░░░░████
████
█████████▄▄███████
█████
█████████████████
█▀▀
████
███▀▀███████▀▀
████
░░░░░████▀
███████▄▄▄▀▀

░░▀▀███▀▀
CPLAY - IDO█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
   O N E   E C O S Y S T E M   F O R   A L L   
Y O U R   C R Y P T O   N E E D S
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
A P P   S T O R E
W A L L E T
A D S T A T I O N
2 F A   S H I E L D
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
▀███████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
mtnsaa
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 29, 2017, 05:55:55 PM

Most definitely it can prevent corruption and other shady practices. This starts at the government levels but it also applies to many companies, non-profit ones especially. Factom project for examples aims to create open records for many applications in the real world like birth certificates, etc where you can't really forge or erase them, well if you do you can see it in the blockchain (kinda like a hidden list of changes).

To be honest, we as citizens of the world should really start demanding the use of public ledgers in our governments, there's absolutely no excuse not to implement it because that's our money as tax payers that we are. Company records on the other hand of course should remain private but they could definitely adopt blockchains either way since auditing will be much more simple and fast. That's why they want editable blockchains, so they can cook the numbers behind curtains hehe.

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
January 29, 2017, 06:42:19 PM

Bitcoin is a lubricant for crime like alcohol is a lubricant for sex.

You can get her to say yes without it but alcohol makes it so much easier.

You can commit online crimes without bitcoin but it makes it so much easier.

carlerha

Activity: 588

View Profile
January 29, 2017, 06:59:30 PM

Haha bitcoin is not a social program, bitcoin can do miracles. This headline is funny, thread have sense and some logic but again people who wish yo do illegal things will use different altcoins for that. Criminals will always find a way!
i think in some cases it can be helpful to prevent crime. for example if a person is carrying an lot of fiat money in his pocket from one place to another for business or whatever. so there is a a possibalities that some snatcher may snatch the money form him, but if he is using bitcoin and blockchain technology then he is quite safe as he can sent the money to some one online in seconds.
dmamigo

Activity: 1204
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 29, 2017, 07:23:49 PM

I do not know, maybe bitcoin could not prevent it, even bitcoin may increase crime. Well, excess bitcoin make a lot of people to do things that are illegal. but, perhaps bitcoin able to do that, if used in the best possible. it all just depends on the person using it.

Definitely it can increase fraudulent activities and crime. The volatility and high profit will make people greedy. And as it is not possible for back tracking or claim back payments, people will fall prey in fraud services. But absolutely all this can be avoided, so this is just general assumptions.

Vaskiy
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1105

Tontogether | Save Smart & Win Big

View Profile
January 30, 2017, 02:32:54 AM

Criminals will anyhow make an alternate path for their criminal activities. Even with fiat the majority of crimes taking place though it has got several tracking accessibility. As suggested bitcoin can do miracles but the miracle has a dependence upon the user who is responsible for that.

strasboug

Activity: 504

View Profile
January 30, 2017, 02:36:09 AM

Could bitcoin prevent crime?

I believe Bitcoin transactions via online wallets could prevent crime. People are going to use Bitcoin for legal and illegal transactions, however criminal transactions are susceptible to crime as cash is used for the transaction...which encourages theft. If bitcoin were used for these shady transactions, perhaps with escrow, there would be no opportunity to steal currency - couldn't this prevent crime? (Aside from the original criminal transaction of course!)

Lol, bitcoin itself has nothing to do with crime. It's like does fiat money prevents crime? Bitcoin is neutral, it depends how do you use it. Criminals can always find some way to use bitcoin, like criminals can use cars or guns, but there's nothing wrong with cars or guns.
Botnake

Activity: 2856
Merit: 667

View Profile
January 30, 2017, 05:21:17 AM

Could bitcoin prevent crime?

I believe Bitcoin transactions via online wallets could prevent crime. People are going to use Bitcoin for legal and illegal transactions, however criminal transactions are susceptible to crime as cash is used for the transaction...which encourages theft. If bitcoin were used for these shady transactions, perhaps with escrow, there would be no opportunity to steal currency - couldn't this prevent crime? (Aside from the original criminal transaction of course!)

Lol, bitcoin itself has nothing to do with crime. It's like does fiat money prevents crime? Bitcoin is neutral, it depends how do you use it. Criminals can always find some way to use bitcoin, like criminals can use cars or guns, but there's nothing wrong with cars or guns.
Crime cannot be prevented by using bitcoin because bitcoin is not police authority, it is just use as an instrument to commit crime but in general it is not to be blame for any crime that happen. The thing is, it depends on the decision of the users, they can use it in a right transaction or bad transaction. They should be stop and not bitcoin, and by knowing the simple answer of the question will make literate with what we are fighting for.

█████▄▄██
███▄█████
██▄███████▄
████████████████
███▀██████████▀
██▄████████████▄
░█████▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
████▀████████▀████
▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄█████████
█████▀███████▄████
███████▀▀▄▄▄█████
███████████████▀
████████████▀▀
OMBARD.com|.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
██████░██░████░██
▄▄░▄▄░▄▄░▄▄░▄▄░▄▄▄▄
▀▀░▀▀░▀▀░▀▀░▀▀░▀▀▀▀
██████████████
▄▄░▄▄▄▄░▄▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀░▀▀▀▀░▀▀░▀▀▀▀▀▀
██░██░██████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▄░▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░▀▀░▀▀▀▀
PICK,
PLAY,
PROSPER!

██████
██████████
██████████
██████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
█████████████████   ██
PROVABLY
FAIR
1%█████████████████   ██
HOUSE
EDGE
100%█████████████████   ██
DEPOSIT
BONUS
  Play now  
ardentvolcanoes

Activity: 1036

View Profile
January 30, 2017, 06:05:03 AM

It is impossible for bitcoin to prevent crimes as it is firstly known to be used for Illegal activities although it is not made for the said purposes bitcoin is designed for anonymity in the early years and even all the transactions of bitcoin could be traced now there are many cryptocurrency that can used as an alternate for bitcoin and which is totally not traceable.
HarringtonStark

Activity: 294

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2017, 06:09:12 AM

Remember that no software is un-hackable. There's always a way...

diegz

Activity: 798

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
January 30, 2017, 06:15:32 AM

It is impossible for bitcoin to prevent crimes as it is firstly known to be used for Illegal activities although it is not made for the said purposes bitcoin is designed for anonymity in the early years and even all the transactions of bitcoin could be traced now there are many cryptocurrency that can used as an alternate for bitcoin and which is totally not traceable.

I think you got it wrong. What the OP wants to know is if during the transaction, bitcoin could be the best solution for scammers to keep out and escrows could make it happen. Anyway, I think if the purpose of the thread is for those who has illegal transaction hiring a escrow so the conditions in their trade is being followed, it is possible.

But if the escrow that you find on a big deal is one sided, or probably there is a conspiracy between the other guy, then I think it will just be a mess if the other side notices that it is what you did.

CraigWrightBTC

Activity: 518

View Profile
January 30, 2017, 08:41:48 AM

No, bitcoin can not prevent crime because bitcoins can be used for good and bad everything
depend on users bitcoins what will do with bitcoins,
bitcoin is same with other money although bitcoin can be tracked via wallets and the peoples can see it
but bitcoin is more like new technology for save value than prevent crime.

Yes I almost agree with the comments above, Bitcoin will not be able to prevent crime on the Internet, while in the real world Bitcoin will be relatively safer because transactions.
If it's safe or not an issue, then it's back to the individual self, how strong you are to protect and prevent the crime itself.
Yup I hope the fetures of bitcoin ( anonymous one of fetures of bitcoin)
don't be used for something illegal is like for money laundering,
because the impact will make image of bitcoin is bad.
puremage111

Activity: 1568
Merit: 511

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2017, 09:22:49 AM

No, it increase the crime rate imo xd

Look at credit cards, banks fraud. Everything is registered with personal details, names, age, gender, address and so.

But look at bitcoin, look at all the cryptos, Look at zcash.

Zcash offers total payment confidentiality, while still maintaining a decentralized network using a public blockchain. Unlike Bitcoin, Zcash transactions automatically hide the sender, recipient, and value of all transactions on the blockchain

It hides the sender, recipient, value of transaction.

It doesn't prevent crime i suppose
Soul Reaper

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 05:18:03 AM

It is difficult to answer such a question.
Bitcoin is being a crypto currency helps us definitely ,
To keep our privacy and details safely.
But this asset of bitcoins can be misused too.
Many blockchain accounts may get hacked by hackers.
Activities like bribing, gambling etc have increased drastically.
Bitcoin was created to ease the transition but its this feature is being misused.
Bitcoins can definitely increase the scope of trade.
But I don't think it can prevent crimes.
savioroshan

Activity: 770

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 05:39:41 AM

It is difficult to answer such a question.
Bitcoin is being a crypto currency helps us definitely ,
To keep our privacy and details safely.
But this asset of bitcoins can be misused too.
Many blockchain accounts may get hacked by hackers.
Activities like bribing, gambling etc have increased drastically.
Bitcoin was created to ease the transition but its this feature is being misused.
Bitcoins can definitely increase the scope of trade.
But I don't think it can prevent crimes.

I totally agree with you. Many may think it can reduce crimes like theft etc. And its right too.It can reduce small crimes like theft etc but frankly speaking ,it will only increase  illegal activties such as weapon trades , drug trades etc because there is no proof or evidence.
In my opinion usage of bitcoin will only increase the crime rates.
emezh10

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 06:04:11 AM

I think no. Because as you can see the bitcoin transactions is on the web and the transactions and wallet address is still anonymous because of that, So simply the bitcoin is not preventing crime and somehow it the source of the crime because you will be anonymous if you will use bitcoin. So for overall I think bitcoin is not preventing crime. All of kind of money is used at the crime even fiat money so It is normal that bitcoin is use in crime. 
Nekutasa

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 06:40:27 AM

If anything in my opinion it will create crime. Since bitcoin is untraceable people can use it for illegal stuff such as drug selling, etc.

This is a very serious concern

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience - Most Trusted & Popular Bitcoin Game @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: