Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 10:50:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC = Gold, LTC = Silver?  (Read 1025 times)
laris2

Activity: 688
Merit: 506

CryptoCurrency Evangelist

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 08:18:20 PM

I guess the benefit of litecoin is that it is currently not possible to mine it with asics and fpgas.
ASICS are really what are making network decentralised by giving a lot of power to their respective owners.
I guess the reason it spiked, people moved mining litecoins. More ASICS = More gpus moved to other networks or sold.

What kind of benefit are you mentioning about? And who gets this benefit? ---> that benefit brings no value to LTC as a currency as well as merchant. It just protects some miners' investment in VGA only. It is totally personal issue, not BTC issue.

Eeverybody can buy ASIC rigs, right?

In real world, gold and silver are different natural substances. They co-exists by nature. However, BTC and LTC are artificially created. BTC does not need LTC as a silver counterpart. We have a single internet, we need a single internet currency only.

Eeverybody can buy ASIC rigs, wrong. If I want to start mining I go and buy processors/videocards and compete against processors/videocards and even fpgas these things are readily avaliable. However i we look at asics:
Avalon = Limited quantity you cant sign up for any batch.
BFL = Started pre-orders poop-lot time ago never ever delivered.
So how can you buy ASIC readily? If we talk about decentralised system, then ASICS.
People with videocards moving with litecoins is market self-adjusting to unfair competition conditions.
BTW - if you have a small ASIC avaliable i'm buying it.
Also, as soon as GOX starts exchanging litecoins, the market avaliable for them will skyrocket drastically, since merchants would be payed in FIAT anyways.

TEST
ThatDGuy

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 08:18:39 PM

Eeverybody can buy ASIC rigs, right?

I don't see this as currently being true.  Most of the ASICs that you can have right now are going for quite a lot of Bitcoin.  This is probably a small amount for someone that had been into it or mining before this year but otherwise is an initial barrier to entry.

On top of that, if someone did want to start right now and buy into Bitcoin to buy an ASIC, they are losing the ability to hedge their "bet" on the ability to re-sell gpu hardware which Scrypt mining currently provides.

I think that aspect of Litecoins, along with the fact that new speculators saw what Bitcoin did and now see Litecoin at a "low" pricepoint (in USD/coin) could combine to make Litecoins quite disruptive to Bitcoins - but contribute to overall growth of cryptocurrency.
tyler26

Activity: 148
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 01:39:08 AM

BTC and LTC are somewhat risky, but I do think LTC will hopefully increase in value very much eventually.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: