Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:25:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: REALLY NEED YOUR HELP! Bitcoins disappeared!  (Read 3039 times)
digit
Legendary

Activity: 1672
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2014, 03:18:10 AM
Last edit: August 18, 2014, 03:31:31 AM by digit

Any help? Please!!!!

Open Console and enter
dumpprivkey <bitcoinaddress>  Note:wallet needs to be unlocked first before using this
for each address in turn.  you can copy these to notepad temporarily
(don't forget the change addresses that you may have, and dumpprivkey for each of those as well)

quit bitcoin-qt.

backup wallet.dat to another location. then delete it.

then restart bitcoin-qt, it will create a new wallet.dat, enter in console
importprivkey <bitcoinprivkey> [giveitanameornot]
for each privatekey you from old wallet that you want in this new wallet.dat

parameters in brackets are optional, if you only have one privatekey to import, you can tack on rescan=true to importprivkey eg:importprivkey <bitcoinprivkey> [giveitanameornot] rescan=true and it will rescan without the need to restart the wallet.  if you have more then one privatekey its a simpler task to import them all first, then restart the bitcoin-qt.exe with -rescan using CMD or a shortcut with that added, when its done you will have your bitcoins back.  

Alternatively you can export the privatekeys and then import them into electrum to spend immediately and skip the long waiting for rescan or blockchain download.  

its a good idea for future to only spend your bitcoin when bitcoin walletqt is fully synced and shows a healthy number of connections to peers, it will prevent this happening to you again.

if I helped, feel free to TIP Wink

Stay Safe and use NO KYC exchanges ■ Craig Wright is NOT Satoshi  ■
BTC:1DigitwteXwFcRAaWpVDRp6eKqzC6y9tgm ■ ŁTC:LKMcEHoFWHAUoRscqW1cwjhLgFrk7MgCWU ■ Coinkit:digit ■ §digit

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
digit
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2014, 03:34:27 AM

The good news is it sounds like they aren't lost just not showing up. If all else fails you could delete the blockchain files and re-sync, but make sure that you do not delete wallet.dat for obvious reasons.

its not the blockchain, its the wallet.dat that has wrong info about spent coins.  reverting to a backup wallet.dat before the attempt to spend those coins would be the easiest solution as it will not contain that lost tx and coins will spendable.  In the absence of a suitable backup, then next best option to is export and import the privatekeys from the current wallet.dat into a new wallet.dat, then rescan.

BTC:1DigitwteXwFcRAaWpVDRp6eKqzC6y9tgm ■ ŁTC:LKMcEHoFWHAUoRscqW1cwjhLgFrk7MgCWU ■ Coinkit:digit ■ §digit
Razick
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 03:50:10 AM

The good news is it sounds like they aren't lost just not showing up. If all else fails you could delete the blockchain files and re-sync, but make sure that you do not delete wallet.dat for obvious reasons.

its not the blockchain, its the wallet.dat that has wrong info about spent coins.  reverting to a backup wallet.dat before the attempt to spend those coins would be the easiest solution as it will not contain that lost tx and coins will spendable.  In the absence of a suitable backup, then next best option to is export and import the privatekeys from the current wallet.dat into a new wallet.dat, then rescan.

Gotcha. That should be a pretty easy fix. I'll edit my previous post so the OP doesn't waste his effort.

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
kashish948 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 04:52:41 AM

Did everything! -reindex a couple of times, replaced the wallet.dat with a backup and then rescanned! But nothing Sad
The coins are probably lost forever! Wasn't a big amount but it is a big question mark on the software! Hopefully someone here will be able to tell me what really happened! Sad
HardForkComing

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 04:54:26 AM

Did everything! -reindex a couple of times, replaced the wallet.dat with a backup and then rescanned! But nothing Sad
The coins are probably lost forever! Wasn't a big amount but it is a big question mark on the software! Hopefully someone here will be able to tell me what really happened! Sad
Coins can't just "disappear" like that from the chain. I had the same issue once. It get fixed after I did what I mentioned in the previous page.
Your case is really strange.
digit
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2014, 05:21:14 AM

what address were the coins in before you sent them?  They will still be there and viewable on blockchain, unless you spent partial inputs previously from it, then you will have change addresses which will be in your original wallet.dat but hidden from main view, but the coins will be sitting there on the blockchain, so you would need to import the privatekey for the change addresses.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2014, 07:52:12 AM

Did you dump the private keys and reimported them into a new wallet?

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
kashish948 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 01:30:44 AM

what address were the coins in before you sent them?  They will still be there and viewable on blockchain, unless you spent partial inputs previously from it, then you will have change addresses which will be in your original wallet.dat but hidden from main view, but the coins will be sitting there on the blockchain, so you would need to import the privatekey for the change addresses.

checked all change addresses. its none of them Sad
kashish948 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 01:31:11 AM

yes! it doesnt show up Sad
digit
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 05:44:23 AM
Last edit: August 20, 2014, 05:55:16 AM by digit

yes! it doesnt show up Sad

then only other possibility i can think of is that you tried to spend coins/inputs that no longer existed currently because the wallet that did not have up to date information on the addresses - you said the wallet was not in sync with blockchain so it would had a incorrect balance displayed at the time you tried to spend.

someone else might know another reason for your problem, but afaik if the coins are present in the addresses on blockchain they should now be present in your new wallet.dat.  bitcoins dont cease to exist, they either move to another address or stay where they are.  use blockchain.info and see the balance for each of your addresses then check against your new wallet.dat, it should all match now.

dzimbeck
Legendary

Activity: 2412
Merit: 1044

View Profile
January 30, 2017, 09:49:00 AM

I'm bumping this, this has happened with me before on multiple watchonly addresses. It's a bug with Bitcoin and wallets. I think they connect to a node that drops and then another node doesn't know about the transaction and the wallet skips it or something crazy.

For me rescan didn't work until I restarted the client perhaps in some cases delete and resync the chain and check to see if you are on a small fork. Regardless there is a weird bug in Bitcoin with txids and I've seen it twice and I send a lot of transactions. The daemon skips transactions sometimes. I don't think this has been fixed an issue should be opened on github.
Newbeatondablock

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2017, 08:26:16 PM

Wow these things should be investigated.....
Critics will use this against the system ...
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: