Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 07:39:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Open API to request Bitcoin blockchain data?  (Read 6223 times)
tyz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1530

View Profile
January 28, 2017, 06:54:41 PM

I want to integrate requesting Bitcoin data into a little project of mine. Therefore I am looking for an open API where I can request Bitcoin address data like balance and transactions. Google did not give me useful results. Any advices how to do without running an own Bitcoin node?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
devans

Activity: 528
Merit: 368

View Profile
January 28, 2017, 09:02:27 PM

BlockCypher offers an API, as do many other blockchain explorers. If you take a look at the popular ones you'll probably find a few more that have one.
BuySomeBitcoins

Activity: 434
Merit: 253

View Profile
January 29, 2017, 01:16:46 AM

try bitgo.com - and it is free.
Emerge
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 29, 2017, 01:32:55 AM

try bitgo.com - and it is free.

I agree, Bitgo is a pretty good service especially with BitGo Instant.. Everyone loves getting their balances upped instantly,
if they're using a Bitgo wallet as well that is.
freemanjackal

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 09, 2017, 10:30:28 PM

most web wallets offer apis to comunicate with it, those that have been mentioned here and some others like blockchain.info, you can also use  a desktop wallet lke electrum
nemgun

Activity: 882
Merit: 533

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2017, 11:33:45 AM

blocktrail is easy to use and convinient, plus it is built for merchants as it have a well coded account system, you can easily create an account for each user and retrieve these informations quickly and without hustle.
In all cases, you will have to be confident with the usage of objects, wether you use PHP, NODEJS, JQUERY languages, these APIs always return objects, maybe sometimes arrays, and usually both at the same time so if you don't have a lot of experience in these languages, i advise you to ask for someone to help you, or at least, learn more about POO.
freemanjackal

View Profile
February 10, 2017, 03:00:51 PM

what languages and frameworks are you using? blockchain.info provides api for php,node,java and some oother that i cant remember, rigth now, i talk to you about this one because it is the one that i know, they have documentation and examples of usage
Patatas
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1115

Providing AI/ChatGpt Services - PM!

View Profile
February 10, 2017, 03:46:18 PM

I want to integrate requesting Bitcoin data into a little project of mine. Therefore I am looking for an open API where I can request Bitcoin address data like balance and transactions. Google did not give me useful results. Any advices how to do without running an own Bitcoin node?
1.You don't have to run your own bitcoin node.Just a source for JSON data supporting multiple API calls.
2.You can either write your own JSON Rpc or use one of the existing from n number of sites listed above.
3.Addition to the above,I find this one quite faster https://www.blockcypher.com/dev/bitcoin/ in terms of handling multiple requests and calls per second.
freemanjackal

View Profile
February 10, 2017, 06:59:34 PM

3.Addition to the above,I find this one quite faster https://www.blockcypher.com/dev/bitcoin/ in terms of handling multiple requests and calls per second.
i have seen it in this post couple of times, i was studying blockchain api for something that i wanna try, ill take a look to this one
annie9771

Activity: 118
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 20, 2017, 04:56:06 AM

bitgo.com and blockchain.info these both are good , if you are working in PHP then pm me i can help you more
bitKaBoom

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 20, 2017, 07:29:22 AM

Do you need help?

I can help you for reward Smiley

what is your project?
tyz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1530

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 08:00:25 PM

@all responders: Thanks, your suggestions helped me a lot to realize the script.

Do you need help?

what is your project?

Thanks, as said in the opening post, I just integrate a fast address balance check into my project. The project is a little community project. Nothing spectacular that has to be mentioned here Wink
DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1105

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2017, 08:40:33 PM

@all responders: Thanks, your suggestions helped me a lot to realize the script.

Do you need help?

what is your project?

Thanks, as said in the opening post, I just integrate a fast address balance check into my project. The project is a little community project. Nothing spectacular that has to be mentioned here Wink

I'm quite curious to see which of the APIs would be the fastest, actually. Have you considered trying each blockchain API in order to see which returns data the fastest? I suppose it doesn't matter too much for a community project, but it would be quite interesting to see anyways...

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
slick2

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2017, 12:36:52 AM

using blockchain.info api, it would take really a month to get an API key Cheesy

my two applications got rejected recently

Programmer for Hire
nemgun

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2017, 07:54:16 AM

using blockchain.info api, it would take really a month to get an API key Cheesy

I don't understand why they are so restrictive about their API, but if you really need one to work with, use block.io, i like them because it is really easy to use, easy to generate and manage accounts, and they support bitcoin litecoin dogecoin.
I didn't tested the others but i plan to do it soon.
Talking about these APIs is there a website who tracks them ?
BuySomeBitcoins

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 04:03:35 PM

I don't understand why they are so restrictive about their API, but if you really need one to work with, use block.io, i like them because it is really easy to use, easy to generate and manage accounts, and they support bitcoin litecoin dogecoin.

You do not understand ?

Because it costs them lots of money and ressources to maintain the API up, and to answer all the technical issues for the API users.
Why not just make an API like that one, for free and you will have an  idea of its complexity.

Block.io sucks.
nemgun

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2017, 06:33:13 PM

You do not understand ?

Because it costs them lots of money and ressources to maintain the API up, and to answer all the technical issues for the API users.
Why not just make an API like that one, for free and you will have an  idea of its complexity.

Block.io sucks.

I know how complex it is, and i know how much ressources it consumes, but why other API providers do it without restriction ?
Block.io is a simple API who does the job, now for security considerations i didn't went too much in testing as i never had to use it in a production environment, i just know that it is accessible, easy to use, clear UI. And these are very appreciated qualities.
BuySomeBitcoins

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 06:56:45 PM

I know how complex it is, and i know how much ressources it consumes, but why other API providers do it without restriction ?
Block.io is a simple API who does the job, now for security considerations i didn't went too much in testing as i never had to use it in a production environment, i just know that it is accessible, easy to use, clear UI. And these are very appreciated qualities.

Other API providers restrict usage of their APIs, and do not offer it for free.

Block.io does not do any job, and their API is shit and not free, I used them for a year and it was a pain in the ass to work with them, they use STRIPE to bill their customers even when they pay with bitcoin, what the heck ?
nemgun

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2017, 07:03:35 PM

Block.io does not do any job, and their API is shit and not free, I used them for a year and it was a pain in the ass to work with them, they use STRIPE to bill their customers even when they pay with bitcoin, what the heck ?

I used them in development only, i won't pay for an api, especially when i don't need to use it, it is just that APIs are easy to use, and provides quick deployment.
It can be a pain for sure, especially if you need methods they can't provide.
Have you switched to annother API ?
BuySomeBitcoins

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 08:32:33 PM

I used them in development only, i won't pay for an api, especially when i don't need to use it, it is just that APIs are easy to use, and provides quick deployment.
It can be a pain for sure, especially if you need methods they can't provide.
Have you switched to annother API ?

Moved to Bitgo, but I decided to build my own solutions instead of relying on third parties, even payable ones.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: