Bitcoin Forum
December 13, 2017, 10:47:44 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Avalon vs Bitmain  (Read 10958 times)
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 1288

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
February 20, 2017, 11:36:16 PM

NP.
Along those lines... I have 2x of the Avalon 721's that finally shipped last Friday, 2 days after the BTC exchange had over 100 confirmations. Anywho, FedEx says it arrived at their processing center on LANTAU ISLAND, HK Sat morning and just checked - is still there. FedEx says will arrive this Wed. so fingers crossed...

-Joshua Zipkin aka Joshua Alexander leaked AMT A1 miner skype chats http://bit.ly/1Qjt6lj
-For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself.
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. Hybrid server-assisted clients like Electrum get a lot of their network information from centralized servers, but they also check the server's results using blockchain header data. This is perhaps somewhat more secure than either server-assisted clients or header-only clients.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
ssnova

Activity: 55

View Profile
February 22, 2017, 03:28:54 AM

NP.
Along those lines... I have 2x of the Avalon 721's that finally shipped last Friday, 2 days after the BTC exchange had over 100 confirmations. Anywho, FedEx says it arrived at their processing center on LANTAU ISLAND, HK Sat morning and just checked - is still there. FedEx says will arrive this Wed. so fingers crossed...

Ah I see, hope it arrives on time man.  Out of curiosity how many Avalon's are you running total?  What kind of PSU's are you using, what's your setup look like?

I was thinking about getting 3-4 Avalon 721's pretty soon, I've done alt mining with GPU's using PC PSU's (super expensive, but more quiet at least)... but now I'm getting into the real deal, BTC mining.  I see lots of people here use server PSU's, or the Antminer PSU... care to share your setup? Any tips on that?
philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 1946

A new tool for prediction https://bitvol.info/

View Profile
February 22, 2017, 03:31:14 AM

NP.

Ah I see, hope it arrives on time man.  Out of curiosity how many Avalon's are you running total?  What kind of PSU's are you using, what's your setup look like?

I was thinking about getting 3-4 Avalon 721's pretty soon, I've done alt mining with GPU's using PC PSU's (super expensive, but more quiet at least)... but now I'm getting into the real deal, BTC mining.  I see lots of people here use server PSU's, or the Antminer PSU... care to share your setup? Any tips on that?

Can you provide 240 volts for the psus?

Please support sidehack with his new miner project Send to : 1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
I mine alt coins with https://simplemining.net I see BTC as the super highway and alt coins as taxis and trucks needed to move transactions.
babycicak

Activity: 87

View Profile
February 22, 2017, 11:17:12 AM

anyone receive free gift from avalon? I just get one, Avalon3 Nano. I have probelm with this, i never use before, anyone can tell me can i just plug into Avalonminer controller? and run like that?

Thank you.
revolution82

Activity: 41

View Profile
February 22, 2017, 09:47:01 PM

I have been running 20 Avalon 741s for about a month now not one issue so far and very stable. Grin
ssnova

View Profile
February 22, 2017, 11:54:45 PM

NP.

I cannot unfortunately, not where I am currently at.  I can only do 120volts standard house hold sockets.  I did some research and saw that I should only run 1600watts max per socket that runs to the panel...

I believe I will have only outlets, meaning I could only run a total of 4 miners (each Avalon 721 miner is about 1000 watts if I'm not mistaken).

philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 1946

A new tool for prediction https://bitvol.info/

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 12:07:00 AM

NP.

Ah I see, hope it arrives on time man.  Out of curiosity how many Avalon's are you running total?  What kind of PSU's are you using, what's your setup look like?

I was thinking about getting 3-4 Avalon 721's pretty soon, I've done alt mining with GPU's using PC PSU's (super expensive, but more quiet at least)... but now I'm getting into the real deal, BTC mining.  I see lots of people here use server PSU's, or the Antminer PSU... care to share your setup? Any tips on that?

I cannot unfortunately, not where I am currently at.  I can only do 120volts standard house hold sockets.  I did some research and saw that I should only run 1600watts max per socket that runs to the panel...

I believe I will have only outlets, meaning I could only run a total of 4 miners (each Avalon 721 miner is about 1000 watts if I'm not mistaken).

Let me know what country you are in.  Or what state. I have a long list of good psu's

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438011

this will work well

and here is a sale price for it

https://jet.com/product/EVGA-SuperNOVA-1300-G2-Power-Supply/cfdc8fd64acc4cd682040b6bc1c2c771

buy 2 for 168.83 each if you opt out of free returns
buy 2 for  172.07 each if you want free returns

buy 4 for  165.28 each if you opt out of free returns
buy 4 for  168.52 each if you want free returns

lastly  use code triple15 for 30 bucks off

Please support sidehack with his new miner project Send to : 1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
I mine alt coins with https://simplemining.net I see BTC as the super highway and alt coins as taxis and trucks needed to move transactions.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 12:42:59 AM

anyone receive free gift from avalon? I just get one, Avalon3 Nano. I have probelm with this, i never use before, anyone can tell me can i just plug into Avalonminer controller? and run like that?

Thank you.
If it is a USB stick miner then I assume you need to plug it into a PC, preferably through a USB charging hub and either use BFGminer or CGminer to run it. Check the mining software section for their links.

-Joshua Zipkin aka Joshua Alexander leaked AMT A1 miner skype chats http://bit.ly/1Qjt6lj
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
Marvell1
Legendary

Activity: 1232

INS Ecosystem

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 05:20:37 AM

Bitmain is so much junk never buying thier junk again, i bough an r4 a board died sent it back for repair they sent me another one same fucking thing so done with them

███ █ █
███ █ █
███ █ █
███ █ █
███ █ █
███ █ █
███ █ █
███ █ █
███ █ █
███ █ █
███ █ █
███ █ █
███ █ █

█ █ ███
█ █ ███
█ █ ███
█ █ ███
█ █ ███
█ █ ███
█ █ ███
█ █ ███
█ █ ███
█ █ ███
█ █ ███
█ █ ███
█ █ ███
●  Whitepaper
●  ANN Thread
●  Reddit
●  Telegram
●  Twitter
●  Facebook

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
GMPoison

Activity: 420

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 04:10:32 PM

do not even try buying used S9's, I just had to send back a repaired board, so now the "repaired" ones are starting to re-fail, I was lucky it failed less than 30 days after I received it so I only had to pay the shipping, still sucks. I do have still running S5's and S7's, never had an issue, and the S5's and the previous S3's I owned where all used from ebay, NEVER had an issue, that's why I like to think is a line problem, they just screw up the design on the S9. Have a T9 running, only been 48 hours, let's see what happens.

At least if you buy used you know you're going to get a miner that's been proven to work well for months. If you buy new however - sure it will be under warranty - but you have NO IDEA if it will fail a week later or not.
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212

View Profile
February 24, 2017, 01:34:19 AM

do not even try buying used S9's, I just had to send back a repaired board, so now the "repaired" ones are starting to re-fail, I was lucky it failed less than 30 days after I received it so I only had to pay the shipping, still sucks. I do have still running S5's and S7's, never had an issue, and the S5's and the previous S3's I owned where all used from ebay, NEVER had an issue, that's why I like to think is a line problem, they just screw up the design on the S9. Have a T9 running, only been 48 hours, let's see what happens.

At least if you buy used you know you're going to get a miner that's been proven to work well for months. If you buy new however - sure it will be under warranty - but you have NO IDEA if it will fail a week later or not.

Video cards rarely fail......................................   Cheesy

Had to go there  Wink

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
ssnova

View Profile
February 24, 2017, 03:31:52 AM

NP.

Ah I see, hope it arrives on time man.  Out of curiosity how many Avalon's are you running total?  What kind of PSU's are you using, what's your setup look like?

I was thinking about getting 3-4 Avalon 721's pretty soon, I've done alt mining with GPU's using PC PSU's (super expensive, but more quiet at least)... but now I'm getting into the real deal, BTC mining.  I see lots of people here use server PSU's, or the Antminer PSU... care to share your setup? Any tips on that?

I cannot unfortunately, not where I am currently at.  I can only do 120volts standard house hold sockets.  I did some research and saw that I should only run 1600watts max per socket that runs to the panel...

Let me know what country you are in.  Or what state. I have a long list of good psu's

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438011

this will work well

and here is a sale price for it

https://jet.com/product/EVGA-SuperNOVA-1300-G2-Power-Supply/cfdc8fd64acc4cd682040b6bc1c2c771

buy 2 for 168.83 each if you opt out of free returns
buy 2 for  172.07 each if you want free returns

buy 4 for  165.28 each if you opt out of free returns
buy 4 for  168.52 each if you want free returns

lastly  use code triple15 for 30 bucks off

Thanks, that's awesome man.  I have a spare EVGA G2 1000watt, and I'm using an EVGA G2 1600 watt for my ZEC GPU miner.

I live in Virginia.  I rent an all inclusive room with standard 120 volt outlets... however.... on second thought, if I really want do it right, I can also unplug the dryer and use the 240volt there, haha... in fact that's what I'm going to do, unfortunately that is not part of the all inclusive rent I pay.  

I'm now considering putting 3-4 Avalon 721's on a single 240 volt PSU(that'll put me at like 3000-4000 watts right?)... what's the best solution for that?  I only have one 240 volt plug for the dryer.

Edit: ah crap, I snooze I lose, Avalon 721's are currently out of stock... I gotta reassess my plan... perhaps I could go with 741's, we'll see if they come back in stock... or I admit, if the Antminer T9's came back in stock at a reasonable price I might even consider that. Hopefully the 721's return.
dddrgonzooo

Activity: 47

View Profile
February 24, 2017, 02:27:20 PM

When my washer died my girlfriend wanted a matching dryer, so we switched to natural gas and I now have a free 30 amp double pole breaker so I can run power to where my bitcoin miners will be. Here's what I just ordered for power:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1308296

I also tried ordering two 721s, but there was only one in stock. My invoice shows the price of two but says only one. When support told me they only had one, I asked if there are any discounts they could offer to change one to a 741, and I never got a reply back. It's been over 24 hours, and still no reply. I would have been okay without a discount, but now that they aren't responding I'm getting anxious because I want to complete this order but I'm not about to wire payment for two when the invoice shows one. Any ideas on how I can get a response and / or edit my order?

huynhdat1989

Activity: 102

View Profile
February 24, 2017, 03:44:26 PM

When my washer died my girlfriend wanted a matching dryer, so we switched to natural gas and I now have a free 30 amp double pole breaker so I can run power to where my bitcoin miners will be. Here's what I just ordered for power:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1308296

I also tried ordering two 721s, but there was only one in stock. My invoice shows the price of two but says only one. When support told me they only had one, I asked if there are any discounts they could offer to change one to a 741, and I never got a reply back. It's been over 24 hours, and still no reply. I would have been okay without a discount, but now that they aren't responding I'm getting anxious because I want to complete this order but I'm not about to wire payment for two when the invoice shows one. Any ideas on how I can get a response and / or edit my order?

I think you might try the Bitmain PSU 1600W, it is more reliable and stable. Now BItmain allow us using Paypal to purchase 1 PSU 1600W + 35$ shipping fee.

I just made Wire Transfer for 2 Avalon too. But they did not respond after I made Wire Transfer. Do you know how long they will respond my payment? I buy from canaan.io (is it the real page)?
HagssFIN

Activity: 742

Electrician. Mining since 2014.

View Profile
February 24, 2017, 03:50:13 PM

I would say that the server power supply by IBM is actually even more safe bet than the Bitmain PSU.

Finksy has some great IBM server PSU packages for sale.

And Sidehack has some great Hewlett Packard server PSU packages for sale.

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
February 24, 2017, 04:19:04 PM

I'm now considering putting 3-4 Avalon 721's on a single 240 volt PSU(that'll put me at like 3000-4000 watts right?)... what's the best solution for that?  I only have one 240 volt plug for the dryer.
That is a very good solution with one caveat:
Folks must keep in mind that a 3-4kw PSU also makes a very fine 250-333A DC arc welder. If there is a short on a hash board, that PSU is more than happy to feed all of its energy into that short. Considering that PCIe connectors/cables are at best only good for 27A across the 3 circuits that will result in some impressive fireworks...

Check the s7 threads for pics of what can happen. It should scare the bejeezes out of ya.

As a Engineer with over 50 years designing power electronics it would be negligent for me to not say: FUSE THE PCIe CABLE FEEDS!!! Using 30-35A automotive blade-style fuse for each cable would be perfect.

fanatic26

Activity: 560

View Profile
February 24, 2017, 08:43:51 PM

Had to go there  Wink

I wouldnt be so sure. On my latest deployment of GPU miners we are seeing ~10%-12% failure rate on R9 Furys either straight out of the box or after they had been mining for a few weeks.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
GMPoison

Activity: 420

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
February 24, 2017, 08:46:11 PM

Had to go there  Wink

I don't care now anyway, they priced their latest batch of S9's way too high.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
February 24, 2017, 08:59:32 PM

Video cards rarely fail......................................   Cheesy
Had to go there  Wink

I wouldn't be so sure. On my latest deployment of GPU miners we are seeing ~10%-12% failure rate on R9 Furys either straight out of the box or after they had been mining for a few weeks.
And I bet that the cards have <drumroll please> 14/16nm chips in them...
IMHO that node is still not ready for Prime Time, at least when it come to power-dense chips Wink

As for the higher s9 price... No F'n way unless they come out and state that they have taken steps to eliminate DOA's and greatly reduce later failures. Mine from batch-1 up to the last I bought (b23) have been pretty trouble free but no way in hell would I be comfortable getting one of the latest batches.

HagssFIN

Activity: 742

Electrician. Mining since 2014.

View Profile
February 24, 2017, 09:04:23 PM

With all the problems of 14/16nm process node miners (mostly Antminers), I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to try and buy smaller process node miners in the future.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.