Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 04:37:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will the ACTIVE supply of Bitcoin eventually fall and is there a way to stop it?  (Read 1195 times)
xJuturna

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 31, 2017, 08:53:03 PM

Although bitcoin continues to be mined, in the grand scheme of things it is a deflationary coin.

With a 21 million hard cap, every time coins get burned or lost or locked out, it decreases the overall supply.

IT's more useful as a store of value like gold, than for day-to-day and micro transactions.

exactly you hit the nail on the head.

To add to this as the overall supply decreases then, in theory, the value should increase especially as more 3rd parties accept bitcoin.

I'd like to think there will be people writing in their bitcoin wallet and key information in their wills to pass down to their children and I'm sure that can and will happen. The amount of coins will decrease to some extent because not everyone is willing to do this, but with a 21 million coin cap? There will always be a fair amount of them left.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4615

View Profile
January 31, 2017, 08:59:35 PM

I think that Bitcoins that can never again be in circulation should not be used in the calculation market cap. It would be like measuring today’s Plutonium market cap and also including the amount that has been lost to radioactive decay. I guess though, that inactive Bitcoins (and other cryptocurrencies) would be more of a problem for ranking sites like coinmarketcap than the actual holders.

Market Capitalization is a term that really doesn't apply to commodities such as bitcoin (or gold, or plutonium, or corn).  When was the last time that you saw a serious financial report on gold that referred to gold's "Market Cap" or the "Market Cap" of corn?  People that don't understand the term like to use it to compare bitcoin to a stock, but it isn't a realistic comparison and doesn't have any useful meaning behind it.
Electra01 (OP)

Activity: 324
Merit: 101

Latest wallet: v2.1.1/v2.1.3

View Profile
January 31, 2017, 11:47:37 PM

I think that Bitcoins that can never again be in circulation should not be used in the calculation market cap. It would be like measuring today’s Plutonium market cap and also including the amount that has been lost to radioactive decay. I guess though, that inactive Bitcoins (and other cryptocurrencies) would be more of a problem for ranking sites like coinmarketcap than the actual holders.

Market Capitalization is a term that really doesn't apply to commodities such as bitcoin (or gold, or plutonium, or corn).  When was the last time that you saw a serious financial report on gold that referred to gold's "Market Cap" or the "Market Cap" of corn?  People that don't understand the term like to use it to compare bitcoin to a stock, but it isn't a realistic comparison and doesn't have any useful meaning behind it.

Regrettably, I had checked the definition of market capitalization before posting the previous post and then, forgetting to change it, posted it anyway. Yes, it is wrong to apply it to commodities like plutonium. So to rephrase my previous post:

I think that Bitcoins that can never again be in circulation should not be used in the calculation of its total value. It would be like measuring Plutonium’s current total value and also including the amount that has been lost to radioactive decay. I guess though, that inactive Bitcoins (and other cryptocurrencies) would be more of a problem for ranking sites like coinmarketcap than the actual holders.
beerlover
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 1158

View Profile
February 02, 2017, 08:28:06 PM

Even with 50% of all coins lost, there is still plenty left.
I don't think that bitcoin will ever play a big role in the world as a currency, so a loss of 50% will not be harmful in that perspective.
I think it's more something for enthusiasts and technic interested people. And collectors, one day.
A decrease of available coins will only increase the peoples interest for bitcoins.
I agree with on saying that the bitcoin won’t play a big role in the currency world, and the more bitcoin decreases in quantity the more people will get interested in it because if it gets lower the price gets higher and that is good for us, and in my opinion in the future there maybe a new technology that will allow us to have more bitcoin.

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK   
          100%   MULTICHARGER   
miningdude

Activity: 416
Merit: 250

Have a mining rig

View Profile
February 02, 2017, 08:31:23 PM

Even with 50% of all coins lost, there is still plenty left.
I don't think that bitcoin will ever play a big role in the world as a currency, so a loss of 50% will not be harmful in that perspective.
I think it's more something for enthusiasts and technic interested people. And collectors, one day.
A decrease of available coins will only increase the peoples interest for bitcoins.
I agree with on saying that the bitcoin won’t play a big role in the currency world, and the more bitcoin decreases in quantity the more people will get interested in it because if it gets lower the price gets higher and that is good for us, and in my opinion in the future there maybe a new technology that will allow us to have more bitcoin.

lol bitcoins won't fall this year all those troll are sucks.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: