Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 02:36:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can someone help me understand this?  (Read 570 times)
HasHe (OP)

Activity: 952
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 31, 2017, 05:52:28 AM

Hey,

So im trying to wrap my head around order books on Poloniex.

Sell Side: $1,025,285

Buy Side: $348,680

With these numbers, shouldnt the price be falling much quicker with such a huge sell side? This was the order book from Pascal earlier today and the price has been floating between 65k-80k satoshi. The sell side was basically the same the entire day and so was the buy side.

Any help is appreciated!
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MadGamer
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1031

View Profile
January 31, 2017, 05:54:46 AM

Well yes that's the logical thing to happen since the price is based on supply and demand just like bitcoin and the other digital currencies and I guess It did happen since and according to CoinMarketcap , the price went - 17% already 
HasHe (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2017, 06:05:53 AM

yeah, but thats the daily % change. It was floating around -17% all day. With such a huge sell side, it seems that it go down even lower. I dont get how a buy side of 300k is supporting a stable float around 65-80k sat with a sell side of over a mil.
BigBoom3599

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 31, 2017, 06:37:20 AM

More money on the sell side doesnt necessarily mean that the price is falling (Although it often is an indicator that it is), what matters more is where the buy and sell orders are located. e.g. if those $1,025,285 would be a at a ridiculously high price, and the $348,680 would be at a normal realistic price. Than the price would go up because there is no resistance on the sell side (until we hit the ridiculously high price of course).
A good way to get an idea of this is to look at the "market depth" tab on polo.
cakravothy

Activity: 868
Merit: 501

Chainjoes.com

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2017, 07:40:05 AM

Hey,

So im trying to wrap my head around order books on Poloniex.

With these numbers, shouldnt the price be falling much quicker with such a huge sell side? This was the order book from Pascal earlier today and the price has been floating between 65k-80k satoshi. The sell side was basically the same the entire day and so was the buy side.

Any help is appreciated!

because sell pending order use high price
and buy pending order use low price, so is compare sell pending order total is big and above buy pending order

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
CHAIN JOES
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
|
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
📝
HasHe (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2017, 07:49:48 AM

More money on the sell side doesnt necessarily mean that the price is falling (Although it often is an indicator that it is), what matters more is where the buy and sell orders are located. e.g. if those $1,025,285 would be a at a ridiculously high price, and the $348,680 would be at a normal realistic price. Than the price would go up because there is no resistance on the sell side (until we hit the ridiculously high price of course).

Makes sense! Thanks!
dearbesz1219

Activity: 924

View Profile
February 02, 2017, 05:33:04 AM

Makes sense! Thanks!

In my way of thinking in this matters regarding to buy and sell orders, is that the more buy orders increase is the more price value increase too. But if the sell orders continuously increase the price will drop depending on how the traders handle it. Just correct me if I'm wrong with my understanding.
Pursuer
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163

Where is my ring of blades...

View Profile
February 02, 2017, 08:23:32 AM

Any help is appreciated!

first of all how are you getting those numbers from the orderbook?! multiplying the sum (on top) of PASC with highest bid price is not the right way. you should scroll down to a price that you want, look at the column saying Sum(BTC) and multiply that number with bitcoin price (although it is best to report in BTC not $)
same goes for the other side.

second, these are walls not actual filled orders.

third based on the walls and resistances price has more tendency of going up because there is less resistance in sell orders. although this is just tendency not what actually happens. (look at the orderbook/depth chart I think polo has it on the bottom)

Only Bitcoin
capoeira
Legendary

Activity: 2388
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 02, 2017, 11:01:50 AM

orderbooks are useless for TA. They are there only to get in and out of position

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: