Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 11:29:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Here is a real bubble - gold  (Read 7088 times)
ljudotina
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1029

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 01:56:07 PM

I'm looking at grapsh and i cant see any drop that is any way close to drop BTC had....few times....
And no i dont have any gold, and yes i have BTC....but that wont make me lie to myself about things just to make me feel better about my choice.

negafen

Activity: 218
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2014, 02:15:19 PM

In one day it lost all the gain from last 2 years, now people will understand why bitcoin is better than gold  Wink

The gold production increased, there are huge amount of gold mined out from china during the last year. But for bitcoin production rate is always fixed

What about the supply of fiat dollar?

dragone

Activity: 249
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 04:11:07 PM

dude regardless of which, gold will just be as valuable as bitcoin.

Its been that way for so long, for original monetary system. Only because its universally accepted.
DannyElfman

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 10:49:15 PM

gold is worse since you have to kept them safe, everyone can robb you the gold.

And bitcoin can't be stolen, right? Grin
Both bitcoin and gold can be stolen, however it is much easier to secure bitcoin then it is to secure gold. Not only that but if you know that your gold is close to being compromised then if you try to move your gold your chances of it being stolen are higher while if your bitcoin was close to being stolen then you could likely solve move attacks by simply moving your bitcoin to another address; both scenarios assume that you are aware of the pending attack.

This spot for rent.
Benjig

Activity: 462

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 10:56:43 PM

Its been that way for so long, for original monetary system. Only because its universally accepted.

But recently there have been alot of new gold mines discovered with new technology, so perhaps the price is being manipulated
hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 10:29:51 AM
Last edit: July 11, 2014, 09:10:57 PM by hashman

Gold is valuable because the annunaki used it as money on nbiru and continue to steal it from earth in giant spaceships, or perhaps because bodies encased in it can be smuggled out of the Earth's galactic quarantine.  Or maybe it is the health benefits of mother earth's essence.  

OK sorry but my point is we need some more creative stories about bitcoin.  Get to work please church of satoshi founders!!  

cinder

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 03:07:02 PM

Both bitcoin and gold can be stolen, however it is much easier to secure bitcoin then it is to secure gold. Not only that but if you know that your gold is close to being compromised then if you try to move your gold your chances of it being stolen are higher while if your bitcoin was close to being stolen then you could likely solve move attacks by simply moving your bitcoin to another address; both scenarios assume that you are aware of the pending attack.

It isn't easy to secure bitcoin. Cold storage can have corruption, paper wallet can get eating by insect.
ThomasCrowne

Activity: 210

★☆★ 777Coin - The Exciting Bitco

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 05:32:22 PM

When bitcoin loses 85% of its 'value' in a few days, it's a great time to buy. When gold dips 20% after riding high for a few yrs, it's a ponzi scheme. Seems reasonable  Roll Eyes

Sorry wiseguys, but bitcoin has a loooong way to go before it approaches gold as real money. I have thousands of years to back me up. Bitcoin was invented last week and will likely end up being the netscape or myspace of alternative currencies.
Agreed it has a long way to go but look how far it travels and how quickly Wink

I'm expecting to see alotta ground cover over the next few years Smiley

Sheldor333

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 07:55:52 PM

Gold has a recognized limited supply. All the gold ever mined in history would fit in a cube block the size of a tennis court. It is getting even harder to find as the easy spots are thought to have been found. But there could in theory be a new big find which would depress the price.

Bitcoin supply is strictly defined. At a year, likely long after our death, bitcoin will finally reach the end of its new issuance in 2140. That is “hard-coded” into the currency. The rate at which it will be spawned into the system is also predictable. We can write contracts based on the known amount that will be issued. There is no need for speculation forward contracts. It is in much more restrictive limited supply than gold.

CryptInvest
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1132

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 08:44:56 PM

Value of an asset depends on faith in him. Gold ingrained as a truly valuable asset. But besides its value at the point that it is rare in nature and limited. Therefore, gold is by definition no bubble unlike fiat mk limited amount.
Skele

Activity: 224

VocalPlatform.com

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 10:51:24 PM

But for bitcoin production rate is always fixed

And that's good or bad stuff for Bitcoin ? If my mind serves me well current prices of the main crypto are making the mining task some hard and not so

profitable...
IIOII
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1012

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 05:03:26 PM

It isn't easy to secure bitcoin. Cold storage can have corruption, paper wallet can get eating by insect.

I think that securing bitcoin is actually more difficult than securing gold. There are a lot more possible ways to loose your bitcoin (lost passwords, hardware failure, hacking, weak random number generator, social engineering) than loosing the gold. Bitcoin can even get stolen without the thief needing to be at the same place with the victim. So I think the non-physical nature of bitcoin actually adds risk. The less tech-savvy a person is, the higher the risk of loss.
allsopfree

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 05:07:09 PM

Why don't you put graph inside?
earnabit

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 03:00:27 PM

Gold is only good in a few very specific scenarios, namely huge war that wipes out the government and internet and maybe you could use a gold coin to buy a few pieces of second hand bread or something. In situations like that though, I'd prefer to keep lots of ammo, canned food, seeds, medical kits, etc.
hollowframe

Activity: 266

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 12:05:16 AM

I think that securing bitcoin is actually more difficult than securing gold. There are a lot more possible ways to loose your bitcoin (lost passwords, hardware failure, hacking, weak random number generator, social engineering) than loosing the gold. Bitcoin can even get stolen without the thief needing to be at the same place with the victim. So I think the non-physical nature of bitcoin actually adds risk. The less tech-savvy a person is, the higher the risk of loss.
You could potentially test your RNG prior to using it for generating a private key to make sure it really is random.

If you were to diversify your backups of your wallet in both location and method of backing up then it would be unlikely that all your backups would be lost.

As long as you don't use a brain wallet a thief would either need physical access to the harddrive/usb/paper that holds your wallet or digital access to the cloud service provider that holds your backup.

It would not be possible to seize someone's bitcoin without the private key. It is possible for gold to be seized.
teodor87

Activity: 154

Man is King!

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 02:07:38 PM

Whatever you want to say - gold will always have high value. As for bitcoin - no one knows. It's speculation mostly.

1BXi1DWT9U8snSr8wmuL7iihqphNiPRN9k
botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 04:48:11 PM

Whatever you want to say - gold will always have high value. As for bitcoin - no one knows. It's speculation mostly.

You always have alternatives - gold, bitcoin,...
As long as its value doesn't plummet due to inflation, it is fine.
fa

Activity: 140

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 01:47:31 PM

Gold is still a good store of value, not necessarily a currency (yes, it WAS currency in the old days).
But people will surely go after btc rather than gold. Why not? One can store $1 million worth of btc just in a USB stick.
polynesia
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 02:32:08 AM

Gold is still a good store of value, not necessarily a currency (yes, it WAS currency in the old days).
But people will surely go after btc rather than gold. Why not? One can store $1 million worth of btc just in a USB stick.

The 'store of value' attribute refers to the commodity maintaining its value over a period of time, and not ease of storage.
The $1MM in your usb stick, can lose its value by half over a short period; something gold is unlikely to do.
Connor936

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 03:09:15 AM

You would likely want to invest in a lot more then a USB stick to keep $1 million worth of BTC safe, likely a similar amount you would spend on keeping $1 million worth of gold safe.

The only real reason that gold is such a good store of value is because it has been around and used for so long.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: