Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:21:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold at $1247, BTC at $1861. Lowest Au:BTC Ratio I've Ever Seen (0.67)  (Read 388 times)
OROBTC (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
May 18, 2017, 06:46:10 PM

At least for now, Bitcoin fans have won vs. Gold.  Even with BTC's various serious (IMO) problems with scaling, etc.

I am glad I bought earlier, but Au:BTC ratio could come way down if they don't FIX the BTC issues likely scaring off new potential users.

ounce.me shows the ratio for easy reference.  Own both BTC and gold!

Smiley
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Nagadota

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

ClaimWithMe - the most paying faucet of all times!

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2017, 08:16:10 PM

Yeah, an ounce of Bitcoin is worth way more than an ounce of gold.

...Oh yeah, back to reality.  There are many, many times more ounces of gold in existence than the amount of Bitcoin - one estimate being around 171,300 tonnes or about 6 billion ounces.

Furthermore, even a tenth of Bitcoin being sold on exchanges right now would completely destroy the price and market cap if it were to happen in reality.  It's not the same as gold in that regard.

Bitcoin being higher than the gold price per ounce is a completely arbitrary way of measuring the two.

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
May 18, 2017, 08:27:00 PM

I've always fancied a gold coin just to lick and sniff. I think I'll wait until I can get one for 0.1 BTC. I've seen quite a few people on here turning many bitcoins into one ounce. That would piss me right off.

Bitcoin being higher than the gold price per ounce is a completely arbitrary way of measuring the two.

Correct. But many people are fucking stupid and they find it a meaningful figure no matter what.
OROBTC (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2017, 10:37:27 PM

Yeah, an ounce of Bitcoin is worth way more than an ounce of gold.

...Oh yeah, back to reality.  There are many, many times more ounces of gold in existence than the amount of Bitcoin - one estimate being around 171,300 tonnes or about 6 billion ounces.

Furthermore, even a tenth of Bitcoin being sold on exchanges right now would completely destroy the price and market cap if it were to happen in reality.  It's not the same as gold in that regard.

Well, yes it is arbitrary.  But the ratio between the two changes, so that ratio is not that arbitrary.  In that it shows changes in relative values between the two.  Today's ratio is the lowest I have ever see.

With many investments, a ratio so out of normal range would suggest an action: in this case sell BTC / buy gold.  Which I will not do for a couple of reasons.  Still, the ratio and its changes are worth keeping an eye on for the relative values of the two assets.
Idrisu

Activity: 924
Merit: 260

View Profile
May 19, 2017, 10:36:29 AM

At least for now, Bitcoin fans have won vs. Gold.  Even with BTC's various serious (IMO) problems with scaling, etc.

I am glad I bought earlier, but Au:BTC ratio could come way down if they don't FIX the BTC issues likely scaring off new potential users.

Smiley
Bitcoin will continue to be greater than gold and commodities because of it inherent values and it nature as a decentralized crypto currencies. What we just need to do is to keep buying bitcoin and hold it for long time and you will become one of the rich person on earth in 2024.
iluvpie60

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 19, 2017, 02:00:38 PM

The problem with gold is that thete is no innovation to be had. Btc can keep getting better and become more worthwhile of using. Gold is mainly used in computers and electronics in small amounts. Other than everyone speculating on it, it serves no purpose.
OROBTC (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2017, 05:32:13 PM

The problem with gold is that thete is no innovation to be had. Btc can keep getting better and become more worthwhile of using. Gold is mainly used in computers and electronics in small amounts. Other than everyone speculating on it, it serves no purpose.

Gold has a 6000 year history of being used as the best Store of Value.  Read history.

When dictators quickly leave their countries as they are about to be overthrown, what do they steal?  The gold.

What is the last legacy still being sought from the German Nazis?  Oh yeah, the gold.

What do the world's Central Banks store?  Ahh, that would be gold.

Gold is wealth.  No counterparty risk.
darthmaul

Activity: 714
Merit: 252

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 01:38:36 PM

Smiley

Such good news for all of us. Im also thankful to myself that I did save some bitcoins recently. I did this due to hype that everybody was saying bitcoin will reach 2000 dollar soon. And Im so glad that already went off the chart for us. This happened all because of its popularity in the market as well as efforts of devs who are working around the clock to make it better bitcoin. Au:BTC ratio may not fall that easily but though it falls as we know from the past as well as from the present it goes up and up very quickly leaving us with loads of profits.  Cheesy

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆