Bitcoin Forum
October 05, 2022, 03:46:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 23.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Couple errors in Electrum - possibly encryption related  (Read 1094 times)
eaglejam (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 06:25:13 PM

I've been having a couple problems with Electrum lately.

The first I posted in the newbie's section, with no help.

First off, I'm on Mac OS X 10.8.3.

So I've been using Electrum 1.7 for a while now (The Executable signed by Animazing is the only one that works), and it has always served me well.
I decided to upgrade to 1.7.2 today. I had problems upgrading in the past, so...
I deleted everything (I backed up my seeds and Label API Key of course), installed Electrum 1.7.2, restored my seeds, and re-inputed my Label API key.
It then said to restart Electrum, I did so, and the GUI errored out, not even to the console like it always points to to find the issue.

I had to open it (Electrum) up in the TERMINAL to this:

Code:
Last login: Thu Apr  4 17:13:57 on ttys000
Eaglejams-MacBook-Pro:~ EJ$ /Applications/Electrum.app/Contents/MacOS/Electrum
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Applications/Electrum.app/Contents/Resources/__boot__.py", line 316, in <module>
    _run()
  File "/Applications/Electrum.app/Contents/Resources/__boot__.py", line 311, in _run
    exec(compile(source, path, 'exec'), globals(), globals())
  File "/Applications/Electrum.app/Contents/Resources/electrum.py", line 185, in <module>
    gui.main(url)
  File "/Applications/Electrum.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/gui/gui_classic.py", line 2338, in main
    w = ElectrumWindow(self.wallet, self.config)
  File "/Applications/Electrum.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/gui/gui_classic.py", line 344, in __init__
    self.run_hook('init_gui')
  File "/Applications/Electrum.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/gui/gui_classic.py", line 378, in run_hook
    apply(f, args)
  File "/Applications/Electrum.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/plugins/labels.py", line 65, in init_gui
    self.full_pull()
  File "/Applications/Electrum.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/plugins/labels.py", line 158, in full_pull
    if self.do_full_pull(force) and force:
  File "/Applications/Electrum.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/plugins/labels.py", line 205, in do_full_pull
    decoded_key = self.decode(label["external_id"])
  File "/Applications/Electrum.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/plugins/labels.py", line 33, in decode
    decoded_message = aes.decryptData(self.encode_password, base64.b64decode(unicode(message)) )
  File "aes/__init__.pyc", line 632, in decryptData
  File "aes/__init__.pyc", line 29, in strip_PKCS7_padding
ValueError: String ending with '\x7f' can't be PCKS7-padded
2013-04-04 17:27:31.815 Electrum[23076:707] Electrum Error

Can any Electrum programmers give me an idea on where to go from here to get this resolved? Thanks.

and then I upgraded to 1.7.3, hoping it might be fixed. It wasn't, same run method (through the terminal):

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Applications/Electrum.app/Contents/Resources/__boot__.py", line 316, in <module>
    _run()
  File "/Applications/Electrum.app/Contents/Resources/__boot__.py", line 311, in _run
    exec(compile(source, path, 'exec'), globals(), globals())
  File "/Applications/Electrum.app/Contents/Resources/electrum.py", line 192, in <module>
    gui.main(url)
  File "/Applications/Electrum.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/gui/gui_classic.py", line 2408, in main
    w = ElectrumWindow(self.wallet, self.config)
  File "/Applications/Electrum.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/gui/gui_classic.py", line 324, in __init__
    self.run_hook('init_gui')
  File "/Applications/Electrum.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/gui/gui_classic.py", line 358, in run_hook
    apply(f, args)
  File "/Applications/Electrum.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/plugins/labels.py", line 66, in init_gui
    self.full_pull()
  File "/Applications/Electrum.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/plugins/labels.py", line 162, in full_pull
    if self.do_full_pull(force) and force:
  File "/Applications/Electrum.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/plugins/labels.py", line 214, in do_full_pull
    decoded_key = self.decode(label["external_id"])
  File "/Applications/Electrum.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/plugins/labels.py", line 34, in decode
    decoded_message = aes.decryptData(self.encode_password, base64.b64decode(unicode(message)) )
  File "aes/__init__.pyc", line 632, in decryptData
  File "aes/__init__.pyc", line 29, in strip_PKCS7_padding
ValueError: String ending with '\x7f' can't be PCKS7-padded
2013-04-14 12:12:12.902 Electrum[88597:707] Electrum Error

Is there any way of fixing these issues? I can't use Electrum as intended.
Hope this info helps.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
flatfly
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 07:34:02 PM

Just a guess... Any non-standard characters in your password?
Try to restore again, using another password for testing.

My main BTC/XCP address is 1111127SpvabYpoeDoiz5L7QPkfiSh2Q.
eaglejam (OP)

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 08:51:36 PM

No non-standard characters in my password. Just alphanumeric.
Tried a new password and it still crashed.

I did more testing, and I think I've found the problem: the bug lies in the "Label Sync" plugin.

I did this in steps:

I restored from seed and I shut down Electrum, without it crashing on startup.
I added an API key for the Label Sync plugin, but I didn't check the "turn on" checkmark, I shut it down without Electrum crashing on startup.
I checked the checkmark for turning on Label Sync and shut down the client, and then Electrum will crash on startup repeatedly.

I hope that helps making this bug dead.
Tachikoma

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2013, 03:35:50 PM

Could you try a full upload via the plugin settings and trying it again?

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks | Bytesized Seedboxes BTC/LTC supported
eaglejam (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 08:07:42 PM

I had another theory, 1.7.0 doesn't contain the encryption key stuff for Label Sync, but 1.7.2 and 1.7.3 do. Maybe the Label Sync service was expecting a encryption key that 1.7.0 didn't have in its electrum.dat file

So I backed up my labels via a Screenshot tool, restored from seed, added labels and API key in, forced upload Labels in Label Sync, and shut down Electrum.

When I restarted Electrum, it all worked!
Tachikoma

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 08:02:36 AM

Glad you solved that issue Smiley

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks | Bytesized Seedboxes BTC/LTC supported
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: